JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Could the Kashhoggi murder be the shot heard around the world?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1985 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Murder? Did I miss something? All I know is that a journalist went into a Saudi consulate, got into a fight with 18 guys, slipped and accidentally dismembered himself several times by means of a paper trimmer in the office and subsequently accidentally flushed all his dismembered body parts down the toilet. What a freak accident!!

Time will tell if this means anything (I personally assume it will be forgotten by end of the month), but it sure means an entirely new low achieved by the corrupt governments of this system.

Back in the good old days, when a more or less totalitarian government wanted to get rid of a troublesome citizen, they would hire goons from some secret agency to take him out given some inconspicuous opportunity. Preferrably making it look like an accident.

In this case, they actually had him tortured and disposed of in a 100% legit government building full of witnesses. I would have never thought we would witness such a high degree of arrogance.

On 10/19/2018 at 3:06 PM, comtemplate said:

Remember the cause of world war I ... it was the Archduke that was killed and it caused all countries to become involved.  Do you think anything drastically different will develop on the world scene from this Journalist's loosing his life in such a horrible manner?  

For some reason I don't believe the life of a journalist will be viewed with the same weight as the life of an Archduke. 

At the end of the day nobody is really going to care all that much. 

Austrian Archduke Ferdinand was assassinated by a Bosnian Serb.  Austria then declared war on Serbia.  In contrast a Saudi journalist was killed while in Saudi custody at a Saudi embassy.  Who would Saudi Arabia declare war on?  Itself? 

I'm wondering why the assassination was necessary, but more so why it was done without any care of world scrutiny.  Is it a bit like Russian attempted assassinations of it's double agent on British soil?  The idea of murder, even within the Saudi Consulate, is really the news here.  Kashhoggi was a US resident.  Does that make it seem more newsworthy, I wonder?  He was a journalist who reported to a prominent US newspaper.  That is newsworthy, as journalists would take up this story.  But where it goes, I don't know.  A bit of a distraction, maybe, more than anything else.

In saying that, the weirdness this world, as Satan's end grows ever nearer, is mind-boggling.  Really, anything can happen from a seemingly benign occurrence.

Murder? Did I miss something? All I know is that a journalist went into a Saudi consulate, got into a fight with 18 guys, slipped and accidentally dismembered himself several times by means of a paper trimmer in the office and subsequently accidentally flushed all his dismembered body parts down the toilet. What a freak accident!!

Time will tell if this means anything (I personally assume it will be forgotten by end of the month), but it sure means an entirely new low achieved by the corrupt governments of this system.

Back in the good old days, when a more or less totalitarian government wanted to get rid of a troublesome citizen, they would hire goons from some secret agency to take him out given some inconspicuous opportunity. Preferrably making it look like an accident.

In this case, they actually had him tortured and disposed of in a 100% legit government building full of witnesses. I would have never thought we would witness such a high degree of arrogance.

This is what happened. If you say anything else, something similar might happen to you next time you visit a Saudi embassy.

But you do wonder what exactly irked the Saudi government so much that they felt it was necessary to kill a journalist. Oh wait... aren’t they buddies with Trump? “He’s a fake news journalist, and we are tired of him annoying us. Let’s dismember him in a fist fight.”

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

This is the sad consequences of demonizing the news media or any group for that matter. Soon they will be demonizing religious people and then us specifically. It seems we are getting a glimpse of our own future. Fortunately, we have Jehovah on our side. 

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

20 hours ago, trottigy said:

This is the sad consequences of demonizing the news media or any group for that matter.

I really don't get this comment. In what sense is the murder of a journalist within a diplomatic institution "the sad consequence of demonizing the news media". They didn't murder him because they hate the "fake news talking heads" they murdered him because Saudi-Arabia is a totalitarian government, and generally totalitarian governments deal this way with their critics. Or am I misunderstanding something here?

I really don't get this comment. In what sense is the murder of a journalist within a diplomatic institution "the sad consequence of demonizing the news media". They didn't murder him because they hate the "fake news talking heads" they murdered him because Saudi-Arabia is a totalitarian government, and generally totalitarian governments deal this way with their critics. Or am I misunderstanding something here?

Actually, they are connected, even though this is extreme. It’s a way of silencing people you don’t like. Journalists are a target even in western societies. When you hear the president of a major western nation scream “fake news” at journalists he does not like, it becomes a way of saying to rouge nations that it’s somehow ok to crack down on them as they always do.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Some governments create reasons to go to war, manipulate countries sale of resources etc...like a game. Any death "appeared" to be caused by a major player(not of a major player) can attract other major players.

The uniting of forces in a region can make some faraway "paranoid" government(s) doubt in their friends loyalty and might create a scenario to scare or coerce it back into submission.

Factor in fake news...seems to end up with handfuls of nothing