JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Watching wwe Wrestling agian

Hi all recently just started watching wwe agian as stopped watching now sort of got into it agian missed a few meeting past few weeks as I feeling low and then I fell ill am ok now bit have sort of lost my flow in going meetings after working so hard to getting there so need to pick up agian but now for some reason have been getting in to wwe agian and I don't want it to interfere with my spirtualy do bros actually watch wwe?

As in other professional wrestling promotions, WWE shows are not legitimate contests, but purely entertainment-based, featuring storyline-driven, scripted, and choreographed matches,

So what's the fun of watching it?

Now scriptural point:

Finally, go on acquiring power in the Lord and in the mightiness of his strength. 11 Put on the complete suit of armor from God so that you may be able to stand firm against the crafty acts of the Devil; 12 because we have a struggle,(or wrestle) not against blood and flesh, but against the governments, against the authorities, against the world rulers of this darkness, against the wicked spirit forces in the heavenly places.

So dear brother Lee, if we ourselves are already engaged in wrestling, then watching others to wrestle could be distracting...  :whistling: (I will not even touch on the area of violence)

I like your courage to share those points with us ..humility moves us to uncover our imperfections with others ..big spiritual hug :hugs:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

47 minutes ago, Gregexplore said:

As in other professional wrestling promotions, WWE shows are not legitimate contests, but purely entertainment-based, featuring storyline-driven, scripted, and choreographed matches,

So what's the fun of watching it?

Most WWE fans know it's scripted, but watch it because it's like going to the theater, but watching an "art" that requires strength, timing and so on, and enjoyment of the story lines.

I like the point made in an earlier post

Why did you stop watching it in the first place?

I found in the past I almost went back to questionble entertainment because I almost forgot why I stopped partaking in it. I was focused on the memories of the parts I enjoyed so much, the music, the experience, the adventure, the nostalgia... I had to remind myself.. "oh yeah, that has magic and really bad demonic themes in it..." and it's hard when it's something you had a passion or fandom for! All the more so when you see other people enjoy it or talk about it.

I myself am not into WWE (but I do admit I like historical grappling, which people learned both for self defence in order to know how to throw or dislocate a violent assailant, but also for the context of leisure/sport which does not involve any bodily harm what so ever), but I've known others who watched WWE. I personally would say, like anything it's conscience based as it's not real fighting, but just a show (As opposed to something like boxing or UFC, where real, agressive and contentious people get beaten to a bloody pulp, resulting in brain damage or even death for fame and money, which of course I think we can agree such would not make appropiate enterainment for a Christian).

Context is a big thing when it comes to making these choices, because... is it wrong for two childen to play wrestle in the field if they are not actually hurting each other, or don't have an "overly competitive" or mallicious intent? Many would say no (though some exceptions with people I'm sure), where as two children pulling each other's hair out and screaming at each other would be wrong.

What is to be questioned is the motivation of watching, it's themes and so on. For example, many of us watch movies that have scenes of fighting in them. Does the content try to glorify or promote arguments, fallouts, "settling one's differences", sexual themes? Etc? I can't answer as I don't know enough about it, I've only seen little clips. 

I myself ask in the context of historical wrestling,... "do I like it because of the innocent competion of skill where no harm comes to people?" ("Oh, that was a good clean competition, they were both really skilled") or.. "do I like it because the nature of violence and injury entertains me?" ("Yes! Kill him! Hurt him! He smacked his eye out! And he broke his bone! I love it when that happens, I bet that hurt! I hate that player, I hope he gets a good kicking *adrenaline fueled raging*). And similar when I made the forum thread on collecting historical weapons. It was quite a topic and many insightful posts. I find that is a good way of balancing and scoping one's own motivations and attitude towards these subjects and if one's personality is in line with Christian standards, and what the entertainment it's self is trying to glorify or achieve. And there is no easy one answer...

Like I say... WWE to many is just a dramatic play of body builders and acrobats, where to others it's a glorifcation of contention and violence through re-enactment. The same with historical re-enactments, I know a few Christians who like to watch, and then others who do not.

Edited by EccentricM

25 minutes ago, EccentricM said:

Like I say... WWE to many is just a dramatic play of body builders and acrobats, where to others it's a glorifcation of contention and violence through re-enactment.

That's why Jehovah introduced ONE standard (too much confusion occurs if this group chooses this, and another group chooses that, way too many standards to choose from)

How wrestling is portrayed in our literature?

Wrestling is considered a “safe” sport by many. Yet, the intent is to do, or give the appearance of doing, physical damage to another. And it often results in injury. In England, a famous wrestler who recently quit upon becoming one of Jehovah’s witnesses acknowledged this when he said: “I can’t go on hurting people. It’s wrong. I know that a lot of it is showmanship but sometimes we do get hurt. Sometimes I hurt people. Instead I should show love and kindness.” G70 3/22

Yes, I know - it's an old quotation, but the ones in Greek Scriptures are even older LOL :uhhuh:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

• 3 weeks later...

First off, I sometimes catch myself starting to watch MMA videos every once in a while. Background is that I used to intensely train martial arts including Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Wing Tsun, Tae Kwon Do, Muay Thai and Boxing. So I still find myself admiring the incredible level of athletic skill that I know is behind these professional fighters and what they do. But then I remind myself that Jehovah hates violence whether it is criminal violence or disguised as athletic competition, and where violence among mankind started developing, namely Cain killing Abel, the Nephilim, and so on. I also remind myself that this is my old personality, and how much easier it would be to slip back into that old personality than it was to get to the point I am now.

When it comes to whether or not WWE is or is not okay to watch, I would say it's no different than watching a Rambo movie. In the sense that you see a lot of people getting shot there, but it's all just an act. But that does not make it harmless entertainment. Beyond that, I recall that these WWE actors always had a very aggressive and rude way of threatening each other ahead of matches, resorting to rule-breaking, attacking innocent bystanders, and all that stupid behaviour. And all the time, they are getting cheered on by the spectators. So also pleanty of reasons to not watch WWE despite it being "just a show".

• 2 months later...
On 11/19/2018 at 2:50 PM, ChocoBro said:

Jehovah examines the righteous one as well as the wicked one;
He hates anyone who loves violence.
Psalm 11:5

Psalm 11:5 is why I have cut back on so many of the video games I play and why I stopped watching some of the TV shows I use to enjoy.  I also noticed how violent shows/movies/video games would enable other weakness I was struggling with.  Now I go to the steam store to buy games and I end up with nothing to buy lol.  It's all violence or mysticism.  Same thing with TV and movies.  Plus I am not sure I can rightfully call myself meek if I enjoy violence.  

On a side note, this story really was a wake-up call.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/11/asia/conscientious-objector-south-korea-gaming-intl/index.html

(Posted on another thread on this site)  

Imagine if they look into our viewing habits and see us watching violent things then trying to claim that we love peace.  Nowadays, media companies can pull analytics on our entertainment choices.