JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Rare 3,000-year-old Assyrian art work expected to fetch more than $10M at auction

A rare, 3,000-year-old sculpture is expected to fetch at least $10 million when it goes under the hammer at Christie's New York tomorrow.

Read about the sale of an extraordinary item from Nimrud, and how. It came to be excavated.

Rare 3,000-year-old Assyrian art work expected to fetch more than $10M at auction (CNN)

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

A spokesman for Christie's said that while the auction house is "sensitive to claims for restitution by source countries," it has been reassured by law enforcement authorities that there is no legal basis for a cultural property claim in this case.

Really? Iraq has lost a massive amount of its antiquity due to Isis. To return this would be more in line with the ethos of a “Christian” Episcopalian College. I know these items represent pagan gods, from a nation that was God's enemy, but it is a bit rich for others to profit from another's history. 

A spokesman for Christie's said that while the auction house is "sensitive to claims for restitution by source countries," it has been reassured by law enforcement authorities that there is no legal basis for a cultural property claim in this case.

Really? Iraq has lost a massive amount of its antiquity due to Isis. To return this would be more in line with the ethos of a “Christian” Episcopalian College. I know these items represent pagan gods, from a nation that was God's enemy, but it is a bit rich for others to profit from another's history. 

It is, but most large museums started out that way - theft and questionable deals. Sometimes I wonder, though, where the items are best preserved. After all, it is not only a national history, but the history of humankind.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

True, I agree with you.  Most if not all the artifacts we see in museums were taken from their original lands.  On one level, I agree that the best place for these antiquities is in a museum which more or less is in safe keeping so many people can view these pieces.  It just doesn't sit right that a private college stands to make a fortune out of this auction.  Meh, it's all probably going to go soon anyway.  Just my personal musings, since I like the idea of universal access to archaeological findings.  Like you said, it is the history of mankind.

As I read this, I thought of zoos. This world being what it is, if something’s not protected, it is ripe for pillage. Ivory, animals pelts, and whatever other parts man has decided they need, to plunder and destroy. Some simply for a photo op. 

Yes, it’s a sick world, led by a demented creature who is about to go to jail! 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

3 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

True, I agree with you.  Most if not all the artifacts we see in museums were taken from their original lands.  On one level, I agree that the best place for these antiquities is in a museum which more or less is in safe keeping so many people can view these pieces.  It just doesn't sit right that a private college stands to make a fortune out of this auction.  Meh, it's all probably going to go soon anyway.  Just my personal musings, since I like the idea of universal access to archaeological findings.  Like you said, it is the history of mankind.

Of course looking at it in another way, artefacts gathered together into one place in a museum meant that they could all be destroyed in one place rather than having to go travelling around the country by those intent on destroying them. Guess it is what it is at the moment.

I have a hard time thinking of the Assyrians producing art, it just doesn't fit my mental image of their culture.

I found a good description of the difference between art and artifact..

Perhaps the simplest, yet most appropriate, distinction would be that an artifact is primarily the product of craftsmanship and skill, while a work of art is invested with an emotional, philosophical, spiritual or esthetic quality that reaches beyond.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I have a hard time thinking of the Assyrians producing art, it just doesn't fit my mental image of their culture.

Perhaps the simplest, yet most appropriate, distinction would be that an artifact is primarily the product of craftsmanship and skill, while a work of art is invested with an emotional, philosophical, spiritual or esthetic quality that reaches beyond.

They were quite skilled at producing art.

http://www.visual-arts-cork.com/ancient-art/assyrian.htm

They were quite skilled at producing art.

http://www.visual-arts-cork.com/ancient-art/assyrian.htm

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

Remember the crucifix in a jar of urine?:sick:

I would never ever EVER have considered that a work of art...until reading the above. 

I'll bet it would have been real 'interesting' running into that guy in the door-to-door work.:wacko:

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

3 hours ago, Mykyl said:

Of course looking at it in another way, artefacts gathered together into one place in a museum meant that they could all be destroyed in one place rather than having to go travelling around the country by those intent on destroying them. Guess it is what it is at the moment.

Yep. I think back to what happened in Brazil recently. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/03/fire-engulfs-brazil-national-museum-rio

3 hours ago, Tortuga said:

In Satan’s world, art is political. Those immense panels of such intricate detail were meant to impress, show off Assyrian power. Same as the huge pyramids - look at me! I’m more powerful than any nation cause I can build these! And then we get Grecian and Roman art and architecture. Bigger, more beautiful, more powerful. 

Started with Tower of Babel after all. New system art is going to be incredibly splendid, and truly worthy of admiration for arts sake. 

7 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

In Satan’s world, art is political. Those immense panels of such intricate detail were meant to impress, show off Assyrian power. Same as the huge pyramids - look at me! I’m more powerful than any nation cause I can build these! And then we get Grecian and Roman art and architecture. Bigger, more beautiful, more powerful. 

Started with Tower of Babel after all. New system art is going to be incredibly splendid, and truly worthy of admiration for arts sake. 

I mentally separate art from artifacts and architecture. A wall mural depicting a battle or historic event or even ancient fake news just doesn't feel like art to me...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I mentally separate art from artifacts and architecture. A wall mural depicting a battle or historic event or even ancient fake news just doesn't feel like art to me...

You mentioned that are is “invested with an emotional, philosophical, spiritual or esthetic quality that reaches beyond.” Although not everyone would agree with these requirements, you could definitely argue that the assyrians produced exactly this. I am certain that if you study them, you can make out different artists, and an intent to create a philosophical, spiritual or aesthetic quality. Is it propaganda? Yes! Certainly. Art can be. Is it political? Yes! Art can be. Does it portray true history? No! Art doesn’t have to. When you see them in real life, they certainly come across as masterful pieces of art. As does the propaganda you find on the walls when you walk around in the Valley of Kings.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”