JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Have you ever "House Sat"

I am house sitting for a friend of mine as I type this  :)  We have known each other for over 40 years. He and his family are on their way to NY to visit the Bethels :thumbsup:

The thing is, we do not live in the same city and I will have some time on my hands ... my family is not here ... I will be here for a little more than a week  :eek:

If you have done this, what did you do to occupy your time? (Besides spend time on this forum)

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Personal time:

Book... reading book, yes definitely reading book.

But before that, I would go to a local bakery to see donut production LOL

Spiritual time: Engage in the ministry with local brothers and sisters - fun ..new friends!

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Have a house party!

Invite neighbors and strangers. Tell him you were being hospitable :lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

The house I am staying at is near several KH's and I know many of the people in those Congregations. I went to one of them last night for the MWM and saw some friends I have not seen for quite some time.

The thing is, during the day, I am either working secularly, working at the Disaster Warehouse or, like next week, helping out at an LDC project.

However, after 5 or 6 at night, except for the night of the MWM, I am in someone else's house without my family, or anyone else, for company ...

I have my computer and can find things to do ... that is not why I asked -

I started this thread to see what sort of things others actually do in a similar situation, not because I wanted suggestions on what I should/could do - but, thanks for the kind suggestions :thumbsup:

On 11/1/2018 at 11:16 PM, Gregexplore said:

Fill the house with water

Buy gondola on e-bay

Send them postcard from Venice ..LOL :lol1:

I think the idea, maybe I am wrong, is to make sure the house is safe and cared for.

You gave me other ideas of things to do... Like test the fire department to see how fast they respond to a housefire. You would have to roast a marshmallow or two.

See how much noise the neighbors will put up with before they call the police... I could go on.

DISCLAIMER: DO NOT TRY ANY OF THE ABOVE...ummmm, suggestions, EVER!!!

I've been housesitting since Thursday and just now I've decompressed enough to post this.

My wealthy in-laws have a beautiful home in the hills. I love watching the gorgeous sunsets from their spectacular vantage point. Some days I can see a sliver of ocean, and Catalina and Avalon islands. 

Disneyland still sets off fireworks at night I assume. I usually forget to check anymore.

Coming face to face with a coyote now and then gets my heart racing. They always blink first though!

They have made an inviting guest room with room darkening drapes ( not that they're needed up here.) Sleeping so well!

The thought of going home tomorrow is starting to restrict my breathing, haha.

The reason for my being here says to tell you 'meow.'

🏡😍

2 hours ago, Cherie said:

They have made an inviting guest room with room darkening drapes ( not that they're needed up here.) Sleeping so well!

My situation is almost the opposite ...

I live on 30 acres and my nearest neighbor has nearly 80 acres of blueberries ... where I am house sitting is right in the city of Jacksonville and, to me, it seems I can hear the neighbors when they push their chair back from their table.

I am not used to hearing cars pulling into driveways - at home, if you hear a car, it has pulled up to your house - not the neighbor.

Also, this is a rather small 3 BR 1 Bath house built in the 50's - no guest room ... it is certainly not soundproof and neither is it "light proof" ... and I am used to living without streetlights

I will be here until next weekend

3 hours ago, Qapla said:

My situation is almost the opposite ...

I live on 30 acres and my nearest neighbor has nearly 80 acres of blueberries ... where I am house sitting is right in the city of Jacksonville and, to me, it seems I can hear the neighbors when they push their chair back from their table.

I am not used to hearing cars pulling into driveways - at home, if you hear a car, it has pulled up to your house - not the neighbor.

Also, this is a rather small 3 BR 1 Bath house built in the 50's - no guest room ... it is certainly not soundproof and neither is it "light proof" ... and I am used to living without streetlights

I will be here until next weekend

Mmmmm...  blueberries. 

Peace...... Love...... &....... Paradise...... :heart:  :heart:  :heart: