JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Twice-cooked food

This forum is International including JW's from varying parts of the earth and cultures. I thought it might be interesting, and maybe even fun, to ask what foods do you have that are normally "cooked twice" where you live.

To get an idea of what I mean, I will give two examples:

1. Lasagna - the flat lasagna noodles are first cooked by boiling them in water to cook the pasta. These noodles are then used in the lasagna assembly and the entire pan of lasagna is then baked. In some versions of lasagna, the sauce is even cooked prior to assembly and cooked again in the oven.
  2. Twice-baked potatoes - In order to make these, the potatoes are fully cooked so the potato inside can be removed from the skin and mashed. It is then seasoned and prepared and loaded back into the potato skin and baked in the oven until golden brown.

OK - there are two examples. I can think of several others that are common where I live. What food do you use/have/eat in your area that is twice-cooked?  Remember, it can be the entire dish or just one of the ingredients ... as long as it is getting cooked twice as a normal way of preparing and/or using the food.

Oh! - BTW ... reheating leftovers does NOT count!

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Fried rice - cook rice and fry it with garlic, egg, season it. It is usually from leftover rice.

Lechon kawali - boil lean pork cutlet with only water until water absorbed. Cook pork in its own oil

Monggo - monggo is like beansprout but green and no stalk, boil monggo in unseasoned water. In separate pan, fry garlic, tomato, onion and grind pork. Add the monggo with stock. Season monggo

Crispy pata - boil the leg of pork in one hour in a water. Deep fry the leg in a pan.

Fried adobo duck/chicken - boil the duck/chicken in soysauce, pepper corn, bay leaf, etc. Then fry the duck/chicken.

Street food:

Kwek kwek - boil quail egg/chicken egg. Remove shell. Make batter from flour and idk. Cover the egg in batter and fry

Any barbeque - boil the pork other parts in idk. Then prepare the pork and other parts in a stick. Grill them :)

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

And too, when you marinate anything that is technically twice cooking ... as the marinade 'cooks' initially.

The other thng that comes to mind is biscotti ... which quite literally means 'twice cooked'.

Most of our twice cooked foods are too, potatoes, ie: Twice or even thrice cooked chips or french fries.

Pastry is often cooked twice too, with a blind baking first.

I make bacon soup ... by first cooking bacon bones, then re-cooking the meat with the veges and lentils - same as curry - browning the meat first then re-adding it later to the curry sauce I've made.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I think one very common twice-cooked food is bread ... many, when it is cooked the second time, call it toast

I will say, when I started this thread, I was thinking of foods that are cooked with heat - not chemicals (marinades, lime juice, vinegar, etc). While it is true that some consider food that is marinated as cooked - that idea is not universally applied. If you soak something in an acid based liquid, depending on the food item and the acid, it may be called cooked, pickled, marinated, fermented among other terms. However, food prepared over heat is usually only referred to as cooked.

As for barbeque - well that is a different term - but, suffice it to say that not all BBQ is twice-cooked ... nor is the term BBQ used the same in all places.

I think one very common twice-cooked food is bread ... many, when it is cooked the second time, call it toast

I will say, when I started this thread, I was thinking of foods that are cooked with heat - not chemicals (marinades, lime juice, vinegar, etc). While it is true that some consider food that is marinated as cooked - that idea is not universally applied. If you soak something in an acid based liquid, depending on the food item and the acid, it may be called cooked, pickled, marinated, fermented among other terms. However, food prepared over heat is usually only referred to as cooked.

As for barbeque - well that is a different term - but, suffice it to say that not all BBQ is twice-cooked ... nor is the term BBQ used the same in all places.

From a chef’s point of view, applying heat (grilling, pan-frying, deep frying, sautéing, boiling, roasting, baking, searing, poaching, simmering, broiling, steaming, blanching, braising, stewing, scalding, smoking...) is only one way of cooking. There are plenty of ways to accomplish the same thing, namely, to change the molecules in the food being prepared. Even if some do not consider, say, fermenting as cooking, doesn’t change the fact that it really is a cooking method. A fermented product is no longer raw, it is, well, cooked.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Somehow, I just cannot view a ball of risen bread dough as "cooked". I have heard bakers and chefs use terms like proofed, risen, doubled in size - even "raw". I have never heard one refer to a ball of dough as cooked.

Likewise, I have heard cold processed cucumbers soaked in vinegar with spices as refrigerator pickles - again, I, personally, have never heard them referred to as cooked - in contrast to pickles that have been heat processed before canning.

Processing in acid or chemicals is not universally applied as "cooking" like heat is.

Since I am the one who started the thread - I request we use the term "cooking/cooked" in this thread in the context of "heat" as the cooking method.

BTW - Yes, I have worked in the food business and I have a daughter that holds a "Chef Certificate".

Edited by Qapla

• 8 months later...

Twiced cooked: meats used for stir-fry meals. Marinated, then cooked til no longer pink and set aside. Then the vegetables and "parboiled rice" is prepared in the wok or large skillet. Meat is incorporated into the skillet until done and piping hot! :)

• 1 month later...

Bubble and Squeak.

This is a British meal, where you simply cook a roast dinner (mashed potato, meat, veg, etc) then fry it all together in the pan. Usually this is done with leftovers, and I know you said "reheating leftovers doesn't count", but this is a bit different :P

Edited by EccentricM