JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Just for Fun: Men vs Women

Squad

4 hours ago, NobleEndeavours said:

Does this prove the fifty shades of grey was written by a woman? 

Don't get me wrong though I haven't read or watched the book or the movie. 

50 shades of grey Tshirts?

:lol:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

4 hours ago, Duplo said:

too many have put too much emphasis on physical attractiveness

The beautiful people quite often make poor marriage mates, in the truth & out.

The problem is that they have traded upon their looks to get by without working upon the inner person.

I knew a brother who's wife was drop dead gorgeous. Years later she dumps her husband & 2 girls -

because she felt she deserved something better - she was in her mid/late 30's by this time and fighting getting older.

It really messed up her girls ( who also were quite pretty - but not like their mother ).

Both left the truth and had kids outside marriage. Not baptised.

One tried to come back but couldn't give up the father of her kids.

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

1 hour ago, pnutts said:

The beautiful people quite often make poor marriage mates, in the truth & out.

The problem is that they have traded upon their looks to get by without working upon the inner person.

I knew a brother who's wife was drop dead gorgeous. Years later she dumps her husband & 2 girls -

because she felt she deserved something better - she was in her mid/late 30's by this time and fighting getting older.

It really messed up her girls ( who also were quite pretty - but not like their mother ).

Both left the truth and had kids outside marriage. Not baptised.

One tried to come back but couldn't give up the father of her kids.

Wow, brother -- based on some of your comments on this board, you seem to have a rather jaded view of women/sisters, in general.  That's too bad.  :( 

I cannot agree that someone's physical appearance has much bearing on their qualities as marriage mates.  I'm sure we all know unattractive people who've married well... and those who've been awful mates, as well as very attractive mates who've experienced the same issues.  It's all about someone's inner qualities - no style of "face" is going to improve or ruin a marriage.  At least not a godly marriage.

People cannot help how they look - either good or bad.  They can only work on their character.  It's just as wrong to assume a poor character because someone is "gorgeous" as it is to infer some sort of virtue because someone is not as slender or attractive.  Nastiness comes in every shape.  😕 

1 hour ago, Hope said:

based on some of your comments on this board, you seem to have a rather jaded view of women/sisters, in general.

Not at all.  Just seen some bad situations over the past almost half century, since becoming a JW in late teens.

Usually it is brothers who dump their wives - but sadly that is changing according to statistics even in the truth

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2019 at 3:30 PM, Hope said:

Wow, brother -- based on some of your comments on this board, you seem to have a rather jaded view of women/sisters, in general.  That's too bad.  :( 

I cannot agree that someone's physical appearance has much bearing on their qualities as marriage mates.  I'm sure we all know unattractive people who've married well... and those who've been awful mates, as well as very attractive mates who've experienced the same issues.  It's all about someone's inner qualities - no style of "face" is going to improve or ruin a marriage.  At least not a godly marriage.

People cannot help how they look - either good or bad.  They can only work on their character.  It's just as wrong to assume a poor character because someone is "gorgeous" as it is to infer some sort of virtue because someone is not as slender or attractive.  Nastiness comes in every shape.  😕 

I think that's what the brother was referring to. In this example, the attractive sister didn't just leave him because she was too attractive but because she "felt she deserved something better." Now, to me the question is, why did she think she deserved something better? Is it possible that her looks affected her humility? Or rather, that her fixation on her physical attractiveness was what affected her attitude? In that case, that could indicate a problem with her character.

I know that's a strong statement, and I don't make it lightly. In fact, my wife and I have noticed a trend on social media that's a little concerning to us. Because so much of social media is visual, a lot of comments people receive on their posts are mostly visual as well. I've seen young sisters post pictures and nearly every comment is a statement by people (mostly other women) about how pretty or beautiful she is. I think that's fine; everyone needs a boost now and then because of the pressure this world puts on us and our insecurities. (I've seen this happen to young brothers, too, but much less so since there seems to be strong cultural differences between the correctness of complimenting women vs men.)

Here's the danger, in my opinion. When ALL the comments are only related to her beauty, is it possible for the sister to get the wrong impression about how important beauty is? What if she starts to see herself in an inflated light? Could she begin seeing herself as "too good" for brothers considered beneath her physically? Haven't we all heard people say to men, "Wow, you married up!" when he marries a sister others think is 'out of his league.' These are all examples of things I've heard said among brothers and sisters, too. Most of this is likely not meant to be hurtful at all, and maybe some have just adopted these sayings from the worldly people around them and are only meant to compliment a man on his beautiful wife. But my worry is that this could have the unintended effect of causing some to put too much stock into these compliments. If that happens, then yes, what @pnutts described could happen to a marriage. I mean, I've heard cases (in the world) where men leave their wives because they felt they deserved better. Sadly, I could see this happening to brothers who are too fixated on physical appearance and not the parts of a person that matter most to Jehovah. And with so much societal pressure for women to look a certain way, that thinking could affect women too.

On 12/7/2018 at 9:17 AM, Naturale said:

How do you know if he can see ones that you don't if you can't see them? 😛

Because he will say he’s going to get his, “green” jacket, and I think, “oh, that’s green”. Etc. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

On 12/7/2018 at 8:04 PM, Brother Arellano said:

There are some good reasons to love orange 🐊 , but as you can see it’s still a small percentage of people who can appreciate it.  And as far as color naming I blame the fact women have a more robust color vocabulary on the makeup industry. I know my wife has no less than 100 different colors of nail polish, all with different names. 

A6EAC43E-4D37-40C0-ADE1-57DFCEFC48F1.png

Purple!

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

• 2 weeks later...