JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Has anybody checked out "The Upside"?  The trailers make it appear to be safe enough to watch.

But, nowadays, one can't trust Hollywood in any way shape or form.

It's a comedy based on a real life experience...supposedly.

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

6 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Has anybody checked out "The Upside"?  

Is Upside screening Down Under? Just figuring out how should I position the chair to view it correctly..LOL :lol1:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

1 hour ago, Kristian said:

Wow!  Wow!  Wow!

I can't thank you enough for posting this, Brother Kristian!!!! ❤️

Those reviews were just what I needed to read!!!

They caused my conscience's warning buzzers to begin a' blarin' like crazy. :D

I mean there are a couple of iffy things here and there but the positive message overshadows the iffy things

Iffy is okay if it's overshadowed by positive????? :wacko:

DEFININTELY not Jehovah's thinking.

That's like Satan saying to Eve:  Okay.  So that one teensy weensy little bite may be  a bit deadly, but I assure you, there's nothing wrong with the rest of the fruit.

Uhhh.  No thanks. :unsure:

I've decided that I am definitely going to pass on this one. ^_^

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

That's good, Roseanne.  You won't be going against your conscience.

I saw the original French movie and thought it was hilarious. My real worry is how Hollywood might have ruined it, as they usually do. (Compare Pour Elle and The Next Three Days, or Spoorloos and The Vanishing)

On 2/6/2019 at 2:29 AM, Friends just call me Ross said:

Iffy is okay if it's overshadowed by positive????? :wacko:

DEFININTELY not Jehovah's thinking.

That's like Satan saying to Eve:  Okay.  So that one teensy weensy little bite may be  a bit deadly, but I assure you, there's nothing wrong with the rest of the fruit.

Uhhh.  No thanks. :unsure:

I've decided that I am definitely going to pass on this one. ^_^

Proud of you! :thumbsup:

Marijuana is smoked on-camera and depicted as a way to have more fun and feel better

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Intouchable is one of my favorite movie.

Let's see what could be conscience troubling for some friends... if I remember correctly, at one point, the gangter introduce the wealthy man to pot... and there is a moment when they hire a prostitute but the "joke" is that she can only tickle the wealthy man's ears because he is handicapped and doesn't feel anything else. Well. And during the movie, the gangster try to hit on one of the female assistant of the wealthy man but in the end we learn that it's not possible because she is a lesbian. Well...

Besides that, it's very funny, and also very moving (prepare tissue), it's the story of an impossible friendship, and a beautiful love story (between the wealthy handicapped man and a woman we only really meet at the end, because they only communicated by romantic (poetry) letters, the wealthy man being ashamed of his own condition).

I don't know about the americanized version "Upside", but I have no problem encouraging friends to watch the french version (and the music is absolutely splendid). Ho well, I want to watch it again now :D

Edited by Dages

7 minutes ago, Dages said:

Intouchable is one of my favorite movie.

Let's see what could be conscience troubling for some friends... if I remember correctly, at one point, the gangter introduce the wealthy man to pot... and there is a moment when they hire a prostitute but the "joke" is that she can only tickle the wealthy man's ears because he is handicapped and doesn't feel anything else. Well. And during the movie, the gangster try to hit on one of the female assistant of the wealthy man but in the end we learn that it's not possible because she is a lesbian. Well...

Besides that, it's very funny, and also very moving, it's the story of an impossible friendship, and a beautiful love story (between the wealthy handicapped man and a woman we only really meet at the end, because they only communicated by romantic (poetry) letters, the wealthy man being ashamed of his own condition).

I don't know about the americanized version "Upside", but I have no problem encouraging friends to watch the french version (and the music is absolutely splendid). Ho well, I want to watch it again now :D

I saw the French one, too -- I loved it so much.  I can't imagine how it could have been made objectionable.. and "Upside" is rated PG-13 so, it's not like naked, bleeding people will be everywhere.

But people have their own consciences.  I've always believed it would be impossible to film the Bible accurately in a way that would not be shocking to most people.. yet, we read it in context every day.