JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Convicted of Child sex abuse - Vatican Cardinal from Australia

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1884 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I don't believe this will "rock" the RCC. There are people who believe the RCC is changing since they're "admitting" their culpability in the abuse of children. They're are saying this is sign of "humility".

Well, where was this "humility" before the scandal became public knowledge? The fact is, this is not an admission of guilt -- its that the evidence is against them is so ungodly obvious, that its virtually impossible NOT to just come out and own it. 

6 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Is a cardinal convicted of this removed from his position? Does he lose his ability to serve in a priestly function?

Where he's going they won't need him as a priest, getting up to 50 years, in other words life in prison! He's gonna serve alright! 

On 2/26/2019 at 11:42 AM, Thesauron said:

Is a cardinal convicted of this removed from his position? Does he lose his ability to serve in a priestly function?

On npr today they said something to the effect that a church hearing will have to take place and if they deem it appropriate he would lose his priestly privileges. 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

It won't make much change to the way things stand in the Church. What it will do is embolden the victims. Pell is the Number Three Man in the Vatican. If they can get him, they can get the Number Four Man. And the Number Five. And the Number Six. 

All those survivors who think the one who attacked them is 'too big' to bring down just got some fair-compelling evidence that it's worth speaking up.

I bet the majority of them are up to it. My mom knows someone locally who doesn't like religion but perhaps would have been open, due to the fact that a priest and all the female nuns sexually abused him as a child in the church.

Edited by EccentricM

On npr today they said something to the effect that a church hearing will have to take place and if they deem it appropriate he would lose his priestly privileges. 

Do you think that this guy, because of his contacts, has the ability to somehow make his punishment less harsh?

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

7 hours ago, Thomas Walker said:

It won't make much change to the way things stand in the Church. What it will do is embolden the victims. Pell is the Number Three Man in the Vatican. If they can get him, they can get the Number Four Man. And the Number Five. And the Number Six. 

All those survivors who think the one who attacked them is 'too big' to bring down just got some fair-compelling evidence that it's worth speaking up.

Thats what Im thinking too. This is a good signs that other will step up to bring  down others who are in lower numbers.. 😁.....