JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

So You’ve Decided to Invite...

Ok, so then weak allergies, intolerances, conscience issues, health concerns, and taste preferences...Essentially, only if the food is actually life threatening to the guest, otherwise, whatever the reason may be, you'd expect the guest to at least try whatever the host decides to cook? (Again, correct me if I'm wrong. Just going through all that you've said thus far.)

If I get slightly uncomfortable from a certain food, that’s alright. It’s not worth the effort of making a special menu. Now, it’s up to the guest to decide what they can take. If they consider something to make them seriously ill, they should let the host know in advance.

Conscience issues, and what I happen to like or not like, is usually for my home and private life only. It’s like, I don’t ask the host if the meat has been bled properly. It is not necessary to share such concerns with the host. I eat what’s served anyway. But it is certainly alright to let the host know in advance that it is my religious conviction not eat blood. Every year, families with school children inform school staff about serious allergies and our religious conviction not to eat school lunches that includes blood.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

:offtopic: A little further off topic.  We had a young sister go to Africa some time ago. There no part of an animal is tossed. I think it was a soup or something that had goat hair in it. This sister was so kind she didn’t want to hurt their feelings so she fought with all her might to get it down. 

Me? I gag very easily. No matter how hard I would have tried. I would never be able to get that down.

Now as to eating horse. Nope! Nadda. I couldn’t and wouldn’t.  That would make doing OMAD or 0 meals a day really easy. 

It reminds me of a couple of Gilead graduates. The sister preferred to eat vegetarian. That then out the window the very first time they came to their first congregation in a poor area of Africa. The family that served them their first lunch had slaughtered their only hen. She could not possibly decline.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

3 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

If I get slightly uncomfortable from a certain food, that’s alright. It’s not worth the effort of making a special menu. Now, it’s up to the guest to decide what they can take. If they consider something to make them seriously ill, they should let the host know in advance.

Conscience issues, and what I happen to like or not like, is usually for my home and private life only. It’s like, I don’t ask the host if the meat has been bled properly. It is not necessary to share such concerns with the host. I eat what’s served anyway. But it is certainly alright to let the host know in advance that it is my religious conviction not eat blood. Every year, families with school children inform school staff about serious allergies and our religious conviction not to eat school lunches that includes blood.

I don't view conscience issues as for private life only, but each to their own.

No thank you, I personally would not.

There is nothing inherently bad about eating dog meat. From an environmental point of view, it’s better than cow. The big problem is that some dogs that are raised for food aren’t raised under good circumstances. I wouldn’t buy such meat myself. Now, I have been offered, and I’ve tasted. I can’t say I liked it much, but it might have been the way it was cooked.

Guinea pig, considered a pet here but not in the Peruvian cuisine, was actually great bbq meat.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

:offtopic: A little further off topic.  We had a young sister go to Africa some time ago. There no part of an animal is tossed. I think it was a soup or something that had goat hair in it. This sister was so kind she didn’t want to hurt their feelings so she fought with all her might to get it down. 

Me? I gag very easily. No matter how hard I would have tried. I would never be able to get that down.

Now as to eating horse. Nope! Nadda. I couldn’t and wouldn’t.  That would make doing OMAD or 0 meals a day really easy. 

Goat hair is usually not eaten. Goat, on the other hand, is very common meat in African and Middle Eastern cooking.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

9 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

There is nothing inherently bad about eating dog meat. From an environmental point of view, it’s better than cow. The big problem is that some dogs that are raised for food aren’t raised under good circumstances. I wouldn’t buy such meat myself. Now, I have been offered, and I’ve tasted. I can’t say I liked it much, but it might have been the way it was cooked.

Guinea pig, considered a pet here but not in the Peruvian cuisine, was actually great bbq meat.

I'm just saying it's not for me personally as a vegetarian ~ I'm not telling other people not to eat it if they want to. Dog meat is actually very popular in China, and I think even a good number of tourists end up eating it without realizing it. The treatment of these dogs that are bred (or kidnapped) for food is not that different from the treatment of other animals bred for food, so it would be ironic to have a problem with the one but not the other. That being said, I can understand why someone who eats meat might not want to eat dog however, as the smell is quite off putting.

I have heard that guinea pig is a bit of a delicacy in parts of South America...I heard that goes back to the Inca.

Edited by Bjern

6 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Goat hair is usually not eaten. Goat, on the other hand, is very common meat in African and Middle Eastern cooking.

I had dinner with a family years ago that lived on a farm. They served meat and vegetables as is typical in the Midwest USA.  I thought I was eating roast but it did seem a little different. The husband asked me how I liked it. I thought it was good. I thought something was up by way he asked me. Then he told me it was goat meat. I think they knew I wouldn’t care and it didn’t bother me at all. I had drank goats milk before and it was very good. I’m the type to try just about anything once.......except the time I was offered “Rocky mountain oysters”. No thanks! :facepalmpo2::coffee::scared:

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

6 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Pets are off the menu for me. I can’t eat dog, cat or my guinea pig. I’ve eaten unknown food in Japan, and did not ask. The sea snail was not pleasant but everything else was beautifully prepared and delicious. Don’t think I ate whale, thank goodness, as that is expensive and a delicacy. 

I don't mind trying new things and the idea of eating any animal doesn't bother me except for cats. I haven't knowingly eaten dog but I've been to a few places and food trucks that had an odd collection of dog collars on the back wall..... :eek:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

When I was young I lived for a time with an aunt who's husband was a big beaver trapper and my aunt would make it into soup. I can't say I remember what it tasted like..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

When I was young I lived for a time with an aunt who's husband was a big beaver trapper and my aunt would make it into soup. I can't say I remember what it tasted like..

Beaver is fully edible, but it’s not a really good meat. If you do cook it, cook it for a very long time and make it into a stew or soup, like your aunt.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I had dinner with a family years ago that lived on a farm. They served meat and vegetables as is typical in the Midwest USA.  I thought I was eating roast but it did seem a little different. The husband asked me how I liked it. I thought it was good. I thought something was up by way he asked me. Then he told me it was goat meat. I think they knew I wouldn’t care and it didn’t bother me at all. I had drank goats milk before and it was very good. I’m the type to try just about anything once.......except the time I was offered “Rocky mountain oysters”. No thanks! :facepalmpo2::coffee::scared:

You can get goat milk here in some shops, and goat cheese is fine and quite common. Even goat meat, since have a large population from Africa and the Middle East. The good thing about goat meat here, is that production is almost always small scale and ecological, as opposed to beef, lamb or pork.

Rocky Mountain Oysters... hmm... It’s a delicacy in some areas, and if you are supposed to use every part of the animal... that part is as good as any other part, I suppose...

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

15 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Beaver is fully edible, but it’s not a really good meat. If you do cook it, cook it for a very long time and make it into a stew or soup, like your aunt.

I think it would be fun to eat a beaver soup, I'd probably try to build a dam across the bowl...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

24 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

I misread this as soap, gave it all new meaning. (Need to find my glasses.) :)

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

1 hour ago, Pjdriver said:

13 minutes ago, Old said:

I misread this as soap, gave it all new meaning. (Need to find my glasses.) :)

That could work 😀

41 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

1 hour ago, Pjdriver said:

I love goat milk..it’s the only kind of milk I use

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

13 minutes ago, Dove said:

I like goat cheese, my wife hates it...

59 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

I don't think I will have it again by choice...😊

53 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

You can get goat milk here in some shops, and goat cheese is fine and quite common. Even goat meat, since have a large population from Africa and the Middle East. The good thing about goat meat here, is that production is almost always small scale and ecological, as opposed to beef, lamb or pork.

Rocky Mountain Oysters... hmm... It’s a delicacy in some areas, and if you are supposed to use every part of the animal... that part is as good as any other part, I suppose...

Goat milk and goat cheese are very good and more digestible than cow's milk; also pricier..

20 minutes ago, Dove said:

That could work 😀

unless I run out temporarily..

9 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I like goat cheese, my wife hates it...

Some things are an acquired taste..

2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I don't mind trying new things and the idea of eating any animal doesn't bother me except for cats. I haven't knowingly eaten dog but I've been to a few places and food trucks that had an odd collection of dog collars on the back wall..... :eek:

Sometimes I wonder when I’m eating Chinese..😑

Anybody try racoon stew? I never ate it but when or neighbors would cook it it was er... to be polite, I would say the odor made me wonder if the cleaned before they stewed it. Something like two pounds of chitlins to one pound of racoon. 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

11 minutes ago, Old said:

Anybody try racoon stew? I never ate it but when or neighbors would cook it it was er... to be polite, I would say the odor made me wonder if the cleaned before they stewed it. Something like two pounds of chitlins to one pound of racoon. 

ms-pgDHGe.gif

5F5A7B65-6854-4D91-AF03-D8D5B5CCD54E.gif.994c3808e5252fbb518f407a3b3fd751.gif  Turtle soup ain’t bad either.  :whistling: They do taste funny though. :coffee:

Edited by Pjdriver

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

11 minutes ago, Pjdriver said:

5F5A7B65-6854-4D91-AF03-D8D5B5CCD54E.gif.994c3808e5252fbb518f407a3b3fd751.gif  Turtle soup ain’t bad either.  :whistling: They do taste funny though. :coffee:

Funny strange or funny funny..

Coz if it was just funny strange it wasn't anybody we know...

Edited by Dove