JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

So You’ve Decided to Invite...

A long time ago my family was invited to friends for supper. They served a turkey roast with walnut stuffing. My wife is anaphylactic ,  plus with some 20 food allergies. The host said , well then just don't eat the stuffing.  Many people just don't understand  the danger of cross contamination and allergies. It's all deadly to some people and should be taken very seriously. Education is a key factor.

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

On 3/10/2019 at 12:04 AM, Thesauron said:

There is nothing inherently bad about eating dog meat. From an environmental point of view, it’s better than cow. The big problem is that some dogs that are raised for food aren’t raised under good circumstances. I wouldn’t buy such meat myself. Now, I have been offered, and I’ve tasted. I can’t say I liked it much, but it might have been the way it was cooked.

Guinea pig, considered a pet here but not in the Peruvian cuisine, was actually great bbq meat.

I thought it was notable a couple of Broadcasts ago, the scene was in Peru and when they mentioned "livestock", they showed guinea pigs! :D

I have another one of my get- togethers coming up. I reserve my community room and cover a basic menu. It includes food that I, myself, don't/ can't eat: several kinds of pizza generally including gluten free; coffee, tea,soda, other beverages like bottled water; dessert, snack - salad, baked macaroni and several other sides . Invitations include the option of bringing anything one would like, including Cds, Cd&gs, or nothing. My casual approach has always worked well. Will try to get a pic up.  

2 hours ago, Hope said:

I thought it was notable a couple of Broadcasts ago, the scene was in Peru and when they mentioned "livestock", they showed guinea pigs! :D

Well, yes, oddly enough, guinea pigs are either a staple or a delicacy in  Ecuador, South America. Mind you, they also still have cannibals in that part of the world.....:scared:

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

17 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Well, yes, oddly enough, guinea pigs are either a staple or a delicacy in  Ecuador, South America. Mind you, they also still have cannibals in that part of the world.....:scared:

Hmmm... I'm not sure it makes sense to conflate people who eat animals with cannibals...  They're not comparable in any way.

5 hours ago, Hope said:

image.png.68f34597d1420d69ef7da52bebc4d50c.pngI stayed in an airbnb property in Melbourne and the hosts had a lovely pet which they oddly called a rat. He was a free range guinea pig. He would be sleeping in his cage most of the time but could move around during the day when the couple was out working. Wished I could have one like that but was adverse to picking up the dropping. Didn't see any on the floor or was he house broken. I wished he had a mate. That would liven things up a bit. The owners gave him a bath one evening and he burrowed himself in the blanket. His name was Ratatouille.

5 hours ago, shali said:

If you have pets, it would also be good to let the people you invite know about it.  Seems like a lot of people are allergic to pets, but if fore warned, they can take some Benadyrl or something beforehand.

I agree. We always do.

• 2 weeks later...

For those that feel offended by some people asking to bring their own food because of having certain dietary requirements it would take to long to explain that... 

Food today is not nutritional for everyone.  What is ok for you may make others sick.  Currently I eat vegetarian because of digestive issues but I do consume "wild caught fish" from time to time at home but try to stay mostly with vegetarian dishes for health reasons.  I must eat gluten free and corn free or will be sick later on.

Trying to accommodate someone with a gluten free issues is not a what is best for 1 will work for another.

It has taken me years to get to a point I could eat food again and through lots of research found that avoiding anything with gluten/wheat, sugar and corn is best for me.  What most people without dietary issues do not realize is that people with allergies especially gluten can't just eat/taste the food.  It's not what you prepare so much as what the companies you purchased the sauces, packaged ingredients, etc. from are putting into the food (wheat, sugar, soy, corn). 

For example corn bothers me but the alternative companies use in place of wheat/gluten in Gluten Free products is "corn".  Another person that can't have gluten can be just fine eating corn.   So if someone wants to serve me gluten free bread it could be an issue.  Another issues is that items you buy at the store say that they are GLUTEN FREE but if you look at the labels closely it will also say "processed in a facility that processes wheat, soy, nuts, etc."   I'm still trying to wrap my head around how something can be "gluten free" but be processed on the same conveyor belt as wheat, soy, nuts, etc.  So there is a possibility of cross contamination.  Someone with a life threaten allergy to nuts, wheat, etc. would be at risk.

While I do not have a life threatening allergy that will trigger immediately illness upon eating such food within 24 hours I will get usually get pains in my joints, headaches, runny nose, sneezing, etc. that last for days.  I will usually have to take meds for days to deal with the issues.  I use to just eat the food and suffer but it's not worth it anymore.  Fortunately those in my congregation do not try to force me to eat what they prepare or get offended if I ask to bring something I can eat.  I usually ask if they are serving a salad or veggies and if so I will be just fine.  If not I bring something I can eat.

When I host I order a cooked meat from a local restaurant (chicken, fish and a couple sides) that having catering options for meat eaters.  I then just prepare the vegetarian items for those that prefer to eat that way.  Most of the time the meat eaters navigate to the vegetarian options and enjoy themselves.  I've never had vegetarian leftovers. :)

• 1 month later...
On 3/23/2019 at 9:51 PM, lovjahupepl said:

I must eat gluten free and corn free or will be sick later on.

Trying to accommodate someone with a gluten free issues is not a what is best for 1 will work for another.

This reminds me of a story where a sister had put together a picnic and provided all the food. She ate gluten-free, and subsequently made ONLY gluten-free food for everyone. Friends were not happy.

I mean, I understand if you have a dietary need. I do keto frequently because it works for me. But if I'm going to a gathering, I either offer to bring a dish that is keto friendly (so if nothing else, i have SOMETHING to eat) or I just enjoy the cheat day and gratefully accept the food. No need to be rude over it. (An allergy is obviously different.)

I did extend an invitation for a meal and I always ask about preference or allergy and try to comply. The friend said they were vegetarian. I was so close to rescinding the invitation because I didn't know what to make. I decided to make a lasagna from eggplant. Everyone got diarrhea. Not my best meal. They haven't come over since. lol

• 3 years later...

It reminds me of a series called "Chef" starring Lenny Henry. There was an episode called "Salt" and how he (as the Chef) treated a customer asking for salt.

On 3/7/2019 at 8:59 AM, Qapla said:

On many of the cooking shows - even ones with "5 star chefs" they will acknowledge that not all people like the same amount of salt.

Saying that someone should never add salt is like saying that you should eat your meat/steak and/or eggs however the chef likes if - even if you prefer your more or less done than the chef :nope: 

Edited by Pabo

I once remember we had a fill-in C/O and when they announced that they are willing to go to brothers homes for meals, they gave out a long list of dietary restrictions, and I looked to my wife and he daughter and said, "Well, that limits on who will invite them". My stepdaughter replied "Maybe they are on the Ozone diet. It's taking Hollywood by storm. See what you do is, you eating nothing but air," impersonating Kath from Kath and Kim.

We had over one time a sub-CO and his wife, and he asked that no garlic be on the menu. I happily obliged. 

Another time we were invited to a pioneer couple’s place for a meal, as was many during the CO visit. I mentioned my intolerances, and the pioneer wife had no problem telling me to bring my own food. Everyone was happy. 😀 She never insisted I eat what she prepared, nor was offended that I wouldn’t eat what she put effort into making. I wasn’t offended either by having to bring my own food. Because the focus isn’t on the food, but the association. Perhaps for some it is about the food, but unless one is a professional chef or a food perfectionist, it’s good not to take cooking so seriously and just enjoy the company. Or only invite those willing to eat anything.

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

Funny story one time… when my husband and I first got married he preferred I cook vegetarian. Before we were married I was mostly on a vegetarian diet so it didn’t bother me, but I had no problem eating meat. One time we were invited to an African family’s home from the congregation. I mentioned ahead of time about preference towards vegetarian. They made a variety of dishes that didn’t include meat, so were surprised that I had some of the meat dish. I told them, no it wasn’t me who was the vegetarian. 😅 🙃

- Read the Bible daily 

I know a pioneer couple who eat vegetarian. He made this change some years back due to some stomach and digestive problems. She made the change to support her husband. He serves as an elder in his congregation. They are Maintenance Trainers with the LDC as well as LDC departments. He has served as a sub-CO on occasion.

When they are invited to a gathering, they make a vegetarian dish to bring with them, they make an excellent meat-free chili. The thing is, they don't just make enough for them to eat, they bring a "vegetarian dish" for all to enjoy.

Likewise, just because they are eating vegetarian, they do not tell others "the evils of eating meat", like some who do not eat meat are prone to do (sadly, even some/many JW vegetarians do this). When we were invited to eat at their house while doing some work there, they provided my daughter and I with food for lunch. While they ate vegetarian, they fixed a lunch that included meat.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I think an experienced cook or chef knows how to satisfy the taste buds of all. I have turned quite a few vegetables into meaty dishes, including red beet burgers, chickpea burgers, zucchini burgers, crispy eggplant, vegie bolognese sauce, and can always add in some tofu wherever meat is called for in recipes. I make patties with different fillings. Plus there are some fantastic Indian lentil or vegetable (tomato and cheese sauce for example - yummy!) stew recipes. No lack of choices and flavours there!

If I'm lazy, our local Metro (similar to Costco's) actually sells "vegetarian meat" in bulk. The ingredients and herb flavouring isn't too bad actually. I might even add liquid smoke to a burger to give it that grill taste. The fiber in the vegetables give that extra feeling of satiety too, and depending on how it's prepared doesn't even taste like vegetables. That would be more of an exciting challenge to create and challenge oneself, rather than forcing others to eat ways they prefer not to. lol

- Read the Bible daily 

On 1/25/2023 at 5:56 PM, New World Explorer said:

Just to clarify...they eat human who is vegetarian? LOL :lol1:

Sorry couldn't resist...🤣

There is no word "a" before meaning a single human, or the letter "s" at the end of the word "vegetarian" if they are more than one human.

It should have read "who are vegetarian".

English lesson for today.

Edited by Pabo

35 minutes ago, Pabo said:

There is no word "a" before meaning a single human, or the letter "s" at the end of the word "vegetarian" if they are more than one human.

It should have read "who are vegetarian".

English lesson for today.

I thought the word 'vegetarian' was an adjective (adverb?) in the context, not a noun :)

He eats vegetarian. He is a vegetarian

In Norwegian, both things are ok to say (Han spiser vegetarisk, Han er vegetarianer)

But in Norwegian, the noun and the adverb are not the same word, as in English.

Or is it an adverb?? Describing the verb ... Hmmm

Sorry for going :offtopic:  here. Grammar is interesting :laugh:

Edited by Tronora

Matthew 6:22 - The lamp of the body is the eye. If, then, your eye is clear*, your whole body will be full of light*. 

(*footnote)

On 1/21/2023 at 11:15 AM, Qapla said:

I know a pioneer couple who eat vegetarian.

OK. I ran the sentence through several grammar checkers. All but one said there were not any errors. The one that identified an error wanted to fix it this way:

I know a pioneer couple who are vegetarians

The only problem with that correction is - they are NOT vegetarians. They do not claim to be such. They will (and do) eat meat when needed. They "usually" eat a vegetarian diet; due to some digestive issues the husband has. His wife changed her diet to make things easier for both of them. Therefore, they "eat vegetarian" - the sentence is correct.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~