JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My Computer Wins10, 3.yrs old...

On 3/25/2019 at 10:46 AM, jwhess said:

Do we remember OS/2  or NT..

Yup. M$ was supposed to be working on OS2 but brought out windows - made bad blood between IBM & M$ for years - after all IBM chose M$ DOS ( Basic Unix )

for its home computers - which made a few buck$ for M$, setting it in place to be what it is today.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

I was always under the impression that IBM was responsible for pushing OS/2. They tried to cut ties with MS Dos. It was limited to single user, and with the advent of networks, and file sharing, MS Dos was limited.
CPM by Digital Research was the 8-bit fore-runner. When IBM released the PC, you had a choice of 3 OS's sold as a seperate choice: UCSD/P system; CP/M (later CP/M86) and the eventual winner, PC Dos (with help by Bill Gates).
After selection of the OS, you could then start to look for programs to run under your OS. Not a big choice back then.
Ah, the good old days. 5.25" single sided floppy (160kb). 32k Ram (eventually upgradable to 64kb)
I would imagine some smart watches would put these systems to shame. But top marks to the programmers who had to keep tight code, as every bit counted... MS Decathlon was my favourite.

Just Older

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got email from M$

< We recently rolled out the Windows 10 May 2019 Update (19H1) to the Release Preview ring > 

19 is 2019, H1 is first updated release of the year.

< 19H2 development branch, we will begin releasing bits to Insiders later this spring.

We also moved Insiders in the Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast ring forward to 20H1. >

19 hours ago, pnutts said:

Just got email from M$

< We recently rolled out the Windows 10 May 2019 Update (19H1) to the Release Preview ring > 

19 is 2019, H1 is first updated release of the year.

< 19H2 development branch, we will begin releasing bits to Insiders later this spring.

We also moved Insiders in the Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast ring forward to 20H1. >

Oh. No Windows 12?

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on my Toshiba that stop working after the update.  MS tech called me back and we were an to do a rebootable media (on my HP laptop) to a thumb drive, so we could reinstall wins 10 on my Toshiba, but the laptop keeps shutting down and stating it a "DPC Watchdog Violation"  which means that one of the most common is an SSD drive that has a old firmware not supported by Windows 10 or it can be an outdated driver for one of your hardware components. I contacted Toshiba and was advised the my driver is up to date. 

in any event, my laptop will not stay on long enough to do anything or when it does boot up, it will freeze up, meaning the touchpad or touch screen will not work, Then I get the DPC Watchdog Violation error message again. Very frustrating, all my pics, documents, music i.e. is on that laptop, I can not never retrieve it. :pistols:

Question, what is BIOS and what does it do?

BIOS is Basic Input Output System.

When a computer powers off, all memory is generally lost. It cannot respond to any commands. So the manufacturers load a permanent part of a memory not power dependant, so when you turn on the power, this is the 1st spot it starts from (hence 'Basic'). It then starts to load instructions like, how to read a keyboard (input), how to display onto the screen (output), and how to get more instructions to be fully functional (like from a hard drive HDD).

We used to call this process 'Booting' up the system.

If the instructions to read from the HDD do not match up the type of drive with your system, it will not function...

I found this :

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-fix-dpc-watchdog-violation-windows-10,36200.html

Just Older

775bc12ffef1d8a895d0b045f319803e.jpg

3 hours ago, pnutts said:

You can run a "Live Disk" - runs from cd/dvd optical drive. Allows you to copy files to an external drive.

I don't have an optical drive for Windows10, my laptop/notebook will not stay up long enough to do anything. :upset:

16 hours ago, 1gemstone said:

, I can not never retrieve it. :pistols:

Never say never.

Not lost, just lost access. If worse comes to worse, someone knowledgeable can pull you hardrive and connect an external harddrive adapter,  plug into another computer. Just be sure  it is a case or adapter that matches your harddrive type. Google how to remove hard drive from Toshiba notebook model..... It is rather easy and adapters start at less that $10 on Amazon, even cheaper on Ebay

Works good for reclaiming files, not as easy to reclaim programs. Besides that you will have an extra drive to use as needed.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

42 minutes ago, 1gemstone said:

I don't have an optical drive for Windows10

Thumb drive with live disk will work too.  You just have to have it boot from usb drive.  Most give you that option.

Here is another way.  Turn laptop on - power off by power button. do this 2 or 3 times - should boot & give you recovery options.

Try running in safe mode.

It is worth a try.  When you turn on the tablet, press and hold the "F8" key (or continuously tap it).  If it works you will get some options for starting the Windows.  One of the choices should be "Safe Mode"  in the past the screen looks like this.  Now there are many variations.

safe.JPG

Edited by jwhess

I was able to open in safe mode followed the direction on the link from br Tony, but before I restart the computer I'd checked the crash report and it states :

file path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEMS32\DRIVERS\acpi.sys

product: Microsoft Windows operating system

description: ACPI Driver for NT

bug check description : the DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of dispatch_level or above. This could be caused by either a non responding or

non responding hardware. This bug check can also occur because of overheated CPUs (thermal issue).

The crash took place in a Microsoft module. The description of the module may give a hint about a non responding device in the system. 

Its suggested that I run CHKDSK on my system drive to check for errors.

What does all that mean, I'd tried to copy and paste  the above, but I guess in safe mode you can't do that.

WhoCrashed (Home Edition) v6.60 www,resplendence,com

CHKDSK is a 'Check Disk' program that check the Hard disk drive (HDD).

It can look for dropped information, and other house-keeping files on the Hdd magnetic surface. Some issues it can repair.

Sorry if these questions have been answered above, but am I understanding correctly the you have replaced the Hdd with an Ssd? (Solid State device - ie NO moving parts)

I'm wondering if the new ssd technology is confusing your laptop. (I'm thinking speed and timing of signals)

Just Older

I found this after a google search...

Don't know if it helps, but the old 'turn it off - turn it on' (with modifications) might help.
All issues with Hdd and Bios are pretty technical. You might need to take it to someone... cdc8c127fb3b624c8ac0192bb0fb3a02.jpg4b96207ba58128a6294e9053b410ccb1.jpg

Just Older

My laptop is running hot. I sit it on a special vented table with fans, and another domestic fan blowing on the side....

Just Older

Hip Hip Hooray... the Microsoft tech fixed my Toshiba laptop tonight, he was able to do a clean disk and reinstalled Window 10  (:P) >:D<:gun-toot::ecstatic:.

However, I had to delete all the partitans, which means that I deleted everything that was saved on my computer such as apps all my files, photos, music, documents ect  ect. I wish this would have happened back in February before I went and brought the HP laptop, oh well.

In any event, could someone PM me the WT Library download for my laptop, I just download iTunes again to get my music back. 

Thank you so much for all your help and comments again.:givehug:

Glad to hear. Sounds like it was quite a journey.

You can download the 'app' here:
https://www.jw.org/en/online-help/jw-library/android/manually-install-jw-library-android/

You can download the 'library' here:
https://www.jw.org/en/online-help/watchtower-library/install-watchtower-library/2d931a4156b93e94921d714018f19f5c.jpg089ec69d06d7499d5142ca92785410e3.jpg

Just Older

36 minutes ago, TonyWenz said:

Glad to hear. Sounds like it was quite a journey.

You can download the 'app' here:
https://www.jw.org/en/online-help/jw-library/android/manually-install-jw-library-android/

You can download the 'library' here:
https://www.jw.org/en/online-help/watchtower-library/install-watchtower-library/2d931a4156b93e94921d714018f19f5c.jpg089ec69d06d7499d5142ca92785410e3.jpg

Just Older emoji856.png

Yes it was a journey that I forgot that I can go to our website to download Wt Library, and I didn't loose 1 pound. lol

Thank you for the info