JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My Computer Wins10, 3.yrs old...

I have an old laptop, and many years ago I bought the Microsoft Office Suite to do my typing etc.
Now it appears MS promote 'Office 365'. (I believe you have to pay rent to use it...)
I use the free Kingsoft Office WPS on my Android device. (I believe they have a PC version too). Other than any games you want, Kingsoft and Jwlib app should get you going.

Just Older

if you install the Linux operating system on a laptop. You will get plenty of free software with it.

Unfortunately most of the laptops is designed to reject Linux to be can be installed on their laptop.

Since many manufacturing companies cooperate or work for Microsoft.

i use windows 10 because i have no other options.

57 minutes ago, TonyWenz said:

I have an old laptop, and many years ago I bought the Microsoft Office Suite to do my typing etc.
Now it appears MS promote 'Office 365'. (I believe you have to pay rent to use it...)
I use the free Kingsoft Office WPS on my Android device. (I believe they have a PC version too). Other than any games you want, Kingsoft and Jwlib app should get you going.

Just Older emoji856.png

You can use Microsoft word online with a Microsoft account. I use it for talks or anything I need to type. Functions like word does usually just online!

21 hours ago, lord-360 said:

Get rid of McAfee and uninstall every trace of it. One of the worst virus protection programs and a big resource hog. Nowadays if its windows 10 the program "windows defender" that comes with windows is more than enough for good protection. The rest is on you in recognizing bad links or spam email. Security is a lot safer these days. If you dont like ads on your web pages get an ad block. Ublock origin is known to be lite and reliable. Ad block plus works also. Ad block also helps protect against spam or bad links. Another browser is good if you don't have one. People like Google chrome or Firefox. 

Oh, I was not aware that I can just count on “windows defender” only to protect my laptop against any viruses etc etc. I was getting a lot of Ad’s on my old laptop. MS is really pushing to use MS Edge instead of Google chrome. Maybe I will go with Google chrome this time, need to do research. Thank you for your suggestions.

1 hour ago, 1gemstone said:

Oh, I was not aware that I can just count on “windows defender” only to protect my laptop against any viruses etc etc. I was getting a lot of Ad’s on my old laptop. MS is really pushing to use MS Edge instead of Google chrome. Maybe I will go with Google chrome this time, need to do research. Thank you for your suggestions.

Here's. A small piece on it https://www.tomsguide.com/us/windows-defender,review-2209.html as long as you watch what emails or links you click you'll almost never get a virus. Defender catches them before they can do anything usually. Edge has ad blockers too if you prefer it. Between ad block and defender you should be safe from most anything imo:) 

3 hours ago, 1gemstone said:

you could set up google chrome as the default browser in the control panel at windows 10. since it is support many extensions including useful anoying ads blocker.

windows defender is a good antivirus as long your PC/laptop hasn't been infected with malware yet. otherwise you gonna need heavier antivirus.

change your default browser in windows 10 1.jpg

18 minutes ago, tuntun said:

you could set up google chrome as the default browser in the control panel at windows 10. since it is support many extensions including useful anoying ads blocker.

windows defender is a good antivirus as long your PC/laptop hasn't been infected with malware yet. otherwise you gonna need heavier antivirus.

change your default browser in windows 10 1.jpg

Exactly. For a new pc its perfect, and very light. What do you use for viruses? I usually use malwarebytes and bitdefender if I know a pc is infected myself.

6 minutes ago, lord-360 said:

Exactly. For a new pc its perfect, and very light. What do you use for viruses? I usually use malwarebytes and bitdefender if I know a pc is infected myself.

I do use only windows Defender since it's very lightweight, and Avira when my windows is being infected (temporary) ..

my notebook has very limited resourced (only has 2 gb of RAM) so many software doesn't run really well ..

i just use my notebook for basic stuff ; browsing, office, multimedia, and storage ..

43 minutes ago, tuntun said:

I do use only windows Defender since it's very lightweight, and Avira when my windows is being infected (temporary) ..

my notebook has very limited resourced (only has 2 gb of RAM) so many software doesn't run really well ..

i just use my notebook for basic stuff ; browsing, office, multimedia, and storage ..

Eek the ram hurts. Got an ssd? Breathes life into older laptops.

On 3/17/2019 at 7:18 PM, 1gemstone said:

Unfortunately, my laptop will not stay on long enough to do that, so I purchased a new hp Pavilion i5 laptop. I'm surprise that you don't get the software installed that you did in past, all I have is McAfee for 30 days trial & Netflix. If you or anyone can make any suggests of what type software I should get or need it would be appreciated.

I thank everyone for all their help and suggestions.

Trust me Windows Defender is a great program.  I never want to go back to Sophos or any other paid virus protection software.  The "so called free trial software", is one of the first things I delete from any new computer I get.  

In nearly 18 years of computers at home and work, I still have never got a virus.  Rule no 1 don't click on anything that you are not expecting, don't open any attachments if they are not from someone you know, and even if you know them, are you expecting something from them in the first place?  Also hover over email from addresses to see the actual email address, that's a huge clue.  Don't be on sites that are not certified, and if your computer tells you that a site is not secure, then chances are it isn't.  It's mostly common sense. 

1 hour ago, tuntun said:

most notebooks come with a hard drive installed. there are several notebooks / laptops with SSD features but the price is relatively expensive. as far as I know the notebook is difficult to upgrade.

About a year and a half ago I upgraded my 1 TB hard drive on my laptop to a 500G SSD, it was less than $200, and the best money I ever spent.  Super-fast startup and no more moving parts, which makes the machine run cooler and with less noise.  Programs open at lightning speed!  It literally took 5 minutes to swap it out.  My 4-year-old laptop is still competing with brand new ones with its original 16 GB ram and now the SSD, Win 10 and Office 365.  My last laptop lasted me for over 10 years, before the HD failed. 

I originally got this HP Pavilion at Costco for less than $700.00, and it’s been a great device, and in fact is actually my main computer at home in my office.  I have a dual monitor setup, and it’s awesome.  I also have a dual monitor setup at work, I don’t know how anything ever got done with one monitor back in the day. 

Having the ability to have two calendars open or one calendar and then email, or a word doc on one and the library on the other well, in fact, sometimes I have my tablet on my desk with say the library app open so I can see the parts for the meeting, and then I have a word doc for writing on one of my laptop monitors and then the WT Library program open on the other.  It’s crazy! Truth be told I am probably a little OCD and ADD, and I really think that all the multitasking that we do these days probably has added to that whole thing.

I know I have a problem.  Lol  But again I could never go back to just one monitor.  That would be like going back to a black and white TV or rubbing two sticks together when I can use a propane torch. 

That's the problem. we all know SSD are much faster than hard drive because they are much more expensive.

With the same price SSD capacity is only 1/4 to 1/2 of the hard drive. speed comes along with price.

for little less than 200 dollars, I'll prefer my money to buy a new notebook rather than to buy an SSD.

if you have hobby to collecting multimedia files such as movies or musics. 500 gb of storage won't last more than 2 years.

Edited by tuntun

Does anyone know yet the expected life of a SSD? Speed is nice but not absolutely necessary. I have a 2nd drive to clone my C drive to so if my C drive crashes as has happened in the past, i don't loose everything.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

48 minutes ago, rocket said:

Does anyone know yet the expected life of a SSD? Speed is nice but not absolutely necessary. I have a 2nd drive to clone my C drive to so if my C drive crashes as has happened in the past, i don't loose everything.

Unlike HDD, SSD has no moving parts (consists of many mechanical parts and rotating discs) so it has much longer lifespan, but doesn't mean they will last forever

while only 80% of the most hard drives work 100% in the first 4 years of their anniversary, SSD could live much longer. (SSD is claimed to last more than 20 years).

But SSD has disadvantage ; since the SSD must often be connected to electricity, the SSD can lose its data if a PC/laptop-mounted SSD device is not turned on for a long period of time.

also, the increasing temperature on the SSD caused by the surrounding environment, the faster the SSD could loses its data.

Edited by tuntun

Back to the original laptop. To get into safe mode. Start laptop then using power button - hold till it shuts down May have to do this a couple of times.

Then it should go into choice mode from which you can choose safe mode.

Since problems happened after an update - that is probably the problem.

If possible do a system restore to before update applied.  if that works do a win migration to another drive. ( part of win 7 & 8.x disk )

If not possible - use a live disk and transfer files you want to save to another partition or drive.

Reformat drive and reinstall windows 10. The latest version - March 2019 is available as an iso from some sites now.

Your license is tied to your M$ live account ( Hotmail/Outlook ).

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

5 hours ago, rocket said:

https://www.compuram.de/blog/en/the-life-span-of-a-ssd-how-long-does-it-last-and-what-can-be-done-to-take-care/ Current solid state drives have much better life spans and can last a lifetime depending on use and size. For laptops I think they make an incredible difference. If you have room for a second drive a ssd is perfect for putting your OS onto, as well as main programs like web browser or things that need to load quickly.

5 hours ago, tuntun said:

That's the problem. we all know SSD are much faster than hard drive because they are much more expensive.

With the same price SSD capacity is only 1/4 to 1/2 of the hard drive. speed comes along with price.

for little less than 200 dollars, I'll prefer my money to buy a new notebook rather than to buy an SSD.

if you have hobby to collecting multimedia files such as movies or musics. 500 gb of storage won't last more than 2 years.

They're much cheaper now than they used to be. You can get a 120gb for $25 usd. Or a 500gb like he was talking about for 70 or cheaper. https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-500GB-Internal-MZ-76E500B-AM/dp/B0781Z7Y3S/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2SH2ERGH0EQB7&keywords=solid+state+drive&qid=1553027990&s=gateway&sprefix=Solid+s%2Caps%2C226&sr=8-3 

External hard drives are good solutions if you have media too.

7 hours ago, .Ivan. said:

HP - Pavilion 15.6" Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - HP Sand Blast Matte Finish In Ceramic White

Model:15-CS0079NR 

SKU:6254995 

Windows 10 operating system

Windows 10 brings back the Start Menu from Windows 7 and introduces new features, like the Edge Web browser that lets you markup Web pages on your screen. Learn more ›

15.6" Full HD touch screen

BrightView glossy screen maintains the vivid colors in your photos and videos. The 1920 x 1080 resolution boasts impressive color and clarity. IPS technology. WLED backlight.

8th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-8250U mobile processor

Ultra-low-voltage platform. Quad-core, eight-way processing provides maximum high-efficiency power to go. Intel Turbo Boost Technology delivers dynamic extra power when you need it.

8GB system memory for advanced multitasking

Substantial high-bandwidth RAM to smoothly run your games and photo- and video-editing applications, as well as multiple programs and browser tabs all at once.

1TB hard drive for ample file storage space

Holds a sizeable collection of digital photos, music, HD videos and DVD-quality movies. 5400 rpm spindle speed for standard read/write times.

Intel® UHD Graphics 620

On-processor graphics with shared video memory provide everyday image quality for Internet use, basic photo editing and casual gaming.

Weighs 4.25 lbs. and measures 0.7" thin

Thin and light design with DVD/CD drive omitted for improved portability. 3-cell lithium-ion battery.

HDMI output expands your viewing options

Connect to an HDTV or high-def monitor to set up two screens side by side or just see more of the big picture.

Built-in media reader for simple photo transfer

Supports select memory card formats.

Next-generation wireless connectivity

Connects to your network or hotspots on all current Wi-Fi standards. Connect to a Wireless-AC router for speed nearly 3x faster than Wireless-N. The Gigabit Ethernet LAN port also plugs into wired networks.

Built-in HD webcam with dual array microphone

Makes it easy to video chat with family and friends or teleconference with colleagues over Skype or other popular applications.

Additional port

Headphone/microphone combo jack.

Note: This laptop does not include a built-in DVD/CD drive.

Intel, Pentium, Celeron, Core, Atom, Ultrabook, Intel Inside and the Intel Inside logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries

Backlit Keyboard

No

Screen Size

15.6 inches

Touch Screen

Yes

Storage Type

HDD

Total Storage Capacity

1000 gigabytes

Hard Drive Capacity

1000 gigabytes

System Memory (RAM)

8 gigabytes

Graphics

Other

Processor Speed (Base)

1.6 gigahertz

Processor Model

Intel 8th Generation Core i5

Processor Model Number

i5-8250U

Operating System

Windows 10 Home

Battery Life

9 hours

Battery Type

Lithium-ion

Feature

Keyboard Touch Screen

No

Backlit Keyboard

No

Cooling System

Air

Ports

Headphone Jack

Yes

Number of USB Ports (Total)

Number of USB 3.0 Type A Ports

Number of USB 3.1 Type C Ports

Number of HDMI Outputs (Total)

Display

Screen Size

15.6 inches

Screen Resolution

1920 x 1080 (Full HD)

Touch Screen

Yes

Display Type

Full HD Widescreen LED

Storage

Storage Type

HDD

Total Storage Capacity

1000 gigabytes

Hard Drive Capacity

1000 gigabytes

Hard Drive RPM

5400 revolutions per minute

Hard Drive Interface

SATA

Hard Drive Accelerator

None

Memory

System Memory (RAM)

8 gigabytes

Type of Memory (RAM)

DDR4 SDRAM

System Memory RAM Speed

2400 megahertz

Cache Memory

6 megabytes

Media Card Reader

Yes

Graphics

Graphics

Other

Graphics Type

Integrated

Processor

Processor Brand

Intel

Processor Speed (Base)

1.6 gigahertz

Processor Model

Intel 8th Generation Core i5

Processor Model Number

i5-8250U

Connectivity

Internet Connectivity

Wi-Fi

Bluetooth Enabled

Yes

Embedded Mobile Broadband

None

NFC Enabled

No

Network

Wireless Networking

Wireless-AC (867 Mbps)

Ethernet

10/100/1000

Ethernet Card

10/100/1000

Number Of Ethernet Ports

Compatibility

Operating System

Windows 10 Home

Included

Built-In Webcam

Yes

Optical Drive Type

None

Numeric Keypad

Yes

Additional Accessories Included

Power adapter

Power

Battery Life

9 hours

Battery Cells

3-cell

Battery Type

Lithium-ion

Dimension

Product Height

0.7 inches

Product Width

14.2 inches

Product Depth

9.7 inches

Product Weight

4.25 pounds

Audio

Audio Technology

Bang & Olufsen Audio

Speaker Type

Stereo speakers

Certifications & Listings

ENERGY STAR Certified

Yes

EPEAT Qualified

No

Warranty

Manufacturer's Warranty - Parts

1 year

Manufacturer's Warranty - Labor

1 year

General

Color

HP Sand Blast Matte Finish In Ceramic White

Color Category

White

Model Number

15-CS0079NR

Other

Product Name

Pavilion 15.6" Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive

Brand

HP