JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My Computer Wins10, 3.yrs old...

Keeps shutting down on it own, then it will restart. I keep getting this message on the screen “You Pc ran into problems and needs to restart.

we’re collecting some error info, and then we will restart you”. This has been going on for a week now.

I was told that I have a hardware problem, can someone help me with this  or should I just buy a new laptop.l’m using my iPad in the meantime.

Thank you  in advance for your help.

Edited by 1gemstone

3 hours ago, 1gemstone said:

Keeps shutting down on it own, then it will restart. I keep getting this message on the screen “You Pc ran into problems and needs to restart.

we’re collecting some error info, and then we will restart you”. This has been going on for a week now.

I was told that I have a hardware problem, can someone help me with this  or should I just buy a new laptop.l’m using my iPad in the meantime.

Thank you  in advance for your help.

Blue screen?

9 hours ago, 1gemstone said:

you should try to re-installed the windows OS, sometime it could fix the problem

but you should back up the data first

if the problem continued it's better to bring your pc for fix rather than buy the new one

It sounds like the laptop is caught in an endless loop and reset cycle. Depending on the model you have, there should be a button you can press when it restarts to get it to go into safe mode. There could be corrupted data files or even a virus. What model of a laptop do you have?

Edited by cricket246

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

A laptop here was stuck in a boot-loop purely because the battery was dead, even when plugged in.

It sprung to life with a new battery.

But it sounds more like a hard drive failure or something. You could try replacing the drive if you have another.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

41 minutes ago, ChrisC said:

A laptop here was stuck in a boot-loop purely because the battery was dead, even when plugged in.

It sprung to life with a new battery.

But it sounds more like a hard drive failure or something. You could try replacing the drive if you have another.

Get a ssd if so. It'll bring new life into an older laptop.

Thanks friends for your comments.   

It’s a Toshiba laptop/notebook core i3 touch screen 2 in 1 model Satellite E45W C4200X ( 3yrs old ) I don’t know how to start it in a safe mode, it will restart at any given moment on it own so I really don’t much of a chance to do anything. The screen will freeze up, then shut down over and over again. Once it made this  static noise like an old radio in the 1960’s  The battery is full by the image I can see on the start screen.

Microsoft did an  automatic update which it  restarted my computer and it said it will take a while. So, I let it do it’s thing and I went to bed. The next morning I started having all these problems. 

Edited by 1gemstone

you cant get into system to do a reset of pc, so, find newest version of windows 10 using media creation tool, dont worry about licence, it is written on motherboard..

you will need another pc (friends or else)

when you get your copy of windows, same like was installed on pc, burn it on dvd or make bootable usb stick..

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

after that, put dvd or usb stick in your pc and try to boot from it.. toshiba boot menu should be "Del" or F2..

when pc starting to boot from extrnal device, you can do a fresh install of windows 10.. follow instructions and if hardware is good, it will be finished in half of hour (faster if you boot from usb 30 and have SSD instead HDD)

after beginning, pull battery out and connect only power source from electric cable and wall outlet.

I googled this problem in Toshibas, myself.
One problem could be the battery. In this forum, it was recommending to let run on just the AC adapter without the battery.
The other potential is an overheating problem. I know with people who have run into a computer randomly shutting off, overheating was indeed a problem.
The problem with that is for a laptop, it's really difficult to take it apart in such a way that you can put it together without breaking it.  If none of the other advice works, you can weigh out if an external cooling fan would be worth it to purchase. Overheating tends to be a common problem with laptops in general, since there's less ventilation.

Edited by Katty

21 minutes ago, tuntun said:

Take away the battery but keep the charger in the laptop

Just an off topic note, I had a problem with the battery on my Lenovo laptop and disengaging the battery while the charger was still plugged in helped reset the battery. I don't know if that will help your problem or not. It wasn't easy to do..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

21 hours ago, TonyWenz said:

3 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Just an off topic note, I had a problem with the battery on my Lenovo laptop and disengaging the battery while the charger was still plugged in helped reset the battery. I don't know if that will help your problem or not. It wasn't easy to do..

Thanks, it’s not going to easy for me either.

3 hours ago, Katty said:

One problem could be the battery. In this forum, it was recommending to let run on just the AC adapter without the battery.
The other potential is an overheating problem. I know with people who have run into a computer randomly shutting off, overheating was indeed a problem.
The problem with that is for a laptop, it's really difficult to take it apart in such a way that you can put it together without breaking it.  If none of the other advice works, you can weigh out if an external cooling fan would be worth it to purchase. Overheating tends to be a common problem with laptops in general, since there's less ventilation.

3 hours ago, Katty said:

I will try that, thank you.

You can get some "canned air" and try blowing out the vents on the laptop. They get clogged easily, especially if you set them on a bed, etc. The cooling vents suck in the air and whatever is in it, like dust and lint. 

As mentioned, laptops tend to run hot and are set to power down if they reach a certain temperature to protect the CPU. Toshibas are especially prone to this problem. It would be best if you had or know someone who has an air compresser, but canned air will help in a pinch. 

blow it off and out real good first.

tabbing into safe mode you can google easy enough. Esc, f2, f8, f10. push during boot up.       although win 10 might be tad different.

google restore point.... You should be able to restore your computer to before the update. google it.

if you have important data you need... Suggest getting a new hard drive and taking this one out and new installing windows on the new hard drive... 250 to 500 GB SSD. Depending on needs.

check memory.... You should be able to do a memory diagnostics test. google it and goto to your motherboard website for info.

hardware issues are tougher for laptops.... Easiest check is using a known good power adapter power supply... See if that helps. you can also usually eddy enough physically take out and back in the hard drive and memory to reseat the physical metal connections.

lot issues with graphics drivers...try to get an earlier or older graphics driver from your manufacture site and install it. When installing it uninstall the older driver with DDU . Make sure you do a restore point before... And understand where the new driver installs to. Sometimes you need to tell the computer where the file is. If not get the driver in a folder to desktop and uninstall the driver then goto to safe mode and install from desktop the earlier driver .

test your hard drive. There is a windows hard drive diagnostics you ca do... Can also use programs... The easiest program is Crystal disc info and might be able to use it simply from USB thumb drive.

another program that has a nice short mechanical test is Hard disk Sentinel.

the last thing to try is reinstalling drivers from your manufacture site. Just look up your correct computer, if you don t see it check the back of your battery for model number.

last resort is thermal paste replacement on your graphics chip and/or CPU chip....

My laptop runs hot, as the internal fan has probably died. I bought a base with 2 fans in it and another bigger fan on the side.
I loaded a program called 'Speccy' and is shows me the internal temperatures. I shut my laptop down when it gets too hot
Of course, this is only good after you can get it started....
Piriform also make another utility program to check your system. It's called CC Cleaner. It will check the software on your system.
Hopefully, you have someone that can help you get this sorted... 3f204c7c1b29120955b7e3b0514b1988.jpg993a8c6adf001d02cc80e8902dc86e7c.jpg

Just Older

3 minutes ago, TonyWenz said:

My laptop runs hot, as the internal fan has probably died. I bought a base with 2 fans in it and another bigger fan on the side.
I loaded a program called 'Speccy' and is shows me the internal temperatures. I shut my laptop down when it gets too hot
Of course, this is only good after you can get it started....
Piriform also make another utility program to check your system. It's called CC Cleaner. It will check the software on your system.
Hopefully, you have someone that can help you get this sorted... 3f204c7c1b29120955b7e3b0514b1988.jpg993a8c6adf001d02cc80e8902dc86e7c.jpg

Just Older emoji856.png

I never heard of Speccy but I like ccleaner. It does a lot for a free app. It really does clear up stuff that clogs your memory and processor, and makes a huge difference in performance, especially for an older machine.

ccleaner is nice... Fyi. Look and study the settings before. Some don,t like auto form settings erases. And some use history instead of bookmarks. And if you play web games they may get cleaned.... I've even seen some of my bonified programs and older data cleaned off... 😅

number of other free apps that are ...i should list them some time....

ccleaner could clean your pc harddisk from unnecessary residue

you could also use defrag software

since files are constantly being written, deleted and resized it could make fragmentation

fragmentation occurs when a file is broken up into pieces to fit on the disk

Defragmentation is like cleaning house for your PC, it picks up all of the pieces of data that are spread across your hard drive and puts them back together again

it could make the computer faster, no need to use it everyday. just once a week

• 2 weeks later...

You might need to do a "Restore point"  I've had to do that after I had a problem.  It rolls the computer back to a date before the problem happened.  It's kind of like a time machine for computers.  I forgot to add.  CCleaner is ok, but I work for a large university, and on the 30,000 machines they have, the Windows Defender program is on every single machine.  I've been using it for years and have never got a virus or even malware.  And its all free.  We used to have Sophos installed but the University finally went with Defender.  

Edited by The Deej

On 3/12/2019 at 4:39 PM, The Deej said:

You might need to do a "Restore point"  I've had to do that after I had a problem.  It rolls the computer back to a date before the problem happened.  It's kind of like a time machine for computers.  I forgot to add.  CCleaner is ok, but I work for a large university, and on the 30,000 machines they have, the Windows Defender program is on every single machine.  I've been using it for years and have never got a virus or even malware.  And its all free.  We used to have Sophos installed but the University finally went with Defender.  

Unfortunately, my laptop will not stay on long enough to do that, so I purchased a new hp Pavilion i5 laptop. I'm surprise that you don't get the software installed that you did in past, all I have is McAfee for 30 days trial & Netflix. If you or anyone can make any suggests of what type software I should get or need it would be appreciated.

I thank everyone for all their help and suggestions.

4 hours ago, 1gemstone said:

Unfortunately, my laptop will not stay on long enough to do that, so I purchased a new hp Pavilion i5 laptop. I'm surprise that you don't get the software installed that you did in past, all I have is McAfee for 30 days trial & Netflix. If you or anyone can make any suggests of what type software I should get or need it would be appreciated.

I thank everyone for all their help and suggestions.

Get rid of McAfee and uninstall every trace of it. One of the worst virus protection programs and a big resource hog. Nowadays if its windows 10 the program "windows defender" that comes with windows is more than enough for good protection. The rest is on you in recognizing bad links or spam email. Security is a lot safer these days. If you dont like ads on your web pages get an ad block. Ublock origin is known to be lite and reliable. Ad block plus works also. Ad block also helps protect against spam or bad links. Another browser is good if you don't have one. People like Google chrome or Firefox.