JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Something new for the menu

Ok this may sound silly but I have my assembly next weekend as usual we have to prepare our own lunch but I am so tired of the usual sandwich and/or salad. Does anyone have any ideas for something different? Thought of a chicken curry salad on a bed of mixed greens BUT IT'S STILL A SALAD! LOL  

5 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I like apples and cheese so I will usually slice up an apple and two cheese sticks.

Fruit and protein together is good brain food. Personally I stay away from carbs and sweets while I'm at a convention,  it's not always convenient to take a walk outside to whistle a short tune...:whistling:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Falafel alone or in a wrap. 

Sushi

spring rolls with sauce

do a bento box style lunch with your favorites. Hummus with vegetables for dipping. Berries. 

You can do a grain based “salad” like quinoa with black beans corn etc. 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

Another thing about carbs; if you have a talk and eat carbs in a meal before, they can create phlegm and make you cough or feel like clearing your throat all the time, something you don't want to do on the podium..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

This is really a tough one because you can't heat anything up, don't want anything heavy to put you to sleep, plus you probably wouldn't want anything messy. 

I always packed wraps or sandwiches to keep it simple, but love the idea of sushi, spring rolls or hummus. Speaking of hummus, I love a good Mediterranean wrap.. hummus, feta olives, cucumber, a drizzle of some nice olive oil, dash of paprika. Mmmmm.. 😁

What if you packed your chicken curry salad as a wrap? If you have a thermos, you could pair it with a soup. Or pack some fruit or yogurt. 

I'm always careful not to pack anything that has oil in it, I don't want to get it on my suit. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Cured meats and bread/olives can work - if you are careful enough to not drop it all over yourself!

Wraps are always a good one, but very similiar to sandwiches in that sense.

Hummus with celery, breads and other dipping foods is also a good one.

Tortilla chips with dips too. Again, also messy if you're incapble of eating normally like me haha.

Cold pasta dishes work well too.

• 3 weeks later...

i'm tired of sandwiches and lettuce salads

fried chicken - cold or warm

tuna salad

chicken salad

i skip egg salad - for the benefit of others attending

chili in a thermos - with or without rice

soup/gumbo....again a good thermos

sliced fruits and vegetables and pickles and cottage

cold pizza - yes that one is a bit off

tomato/mozzarella in a balsamic dressing - previous night

tomato/cucumber in a italian dressing - previous night

tried MREs - had a ton left over after disaster relief work - not that appealing - but 1 guys loved them

mini--veggie platter and dips

trust me i'm trying everything -- and many are working

i just pinterest healthy snacks and quick lunches - from my wifes pinterest of course....lol

• 2 months later...

I've grown accustomed to eating simple meals at the circuit assemblies alsol (i.e., salads and sandwiches) but once in a while I'll heat leftovers using my mini crockpot warmer.

Usually I can find an outlet to reheat my food at the venue and it's nice to have a warm/hot meal during intermission.

In the alternative, I'll use my food storage thermos so by the time lunch begins, my food is still warm.

Edited by Omoyeme