JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Kidney Stones

I think it is important to avoid problems as much as possible, so today I plan to stay home and avoid kidney stones...:whistling:

*** g99 1/22 p. 29 Watching the World ***
Cutting the Risk of Kidney Stones
Researchers tracking the diets of more than 80,000 nurses in the United States between 1986 and 1994 found that some fluids may be more likely than others to help a person avoid kidney stones, reports Science News. Of the 17 beverages studied, tea decreased the risk of kidney stones by 8 percent, while regular or decaffeinated coffee cut the risk by about 9 percent. The moderate intake of wine helped lower a person’s risk of kidney stones by 20 percent or more. “Strangely, an 8-ounce glass of grapefruit juice daily boosted the risk of stones by 44 percent,” the study showed. “No other drink had such a negative impact.” Dr. Gary Curhan, a nephrologist and epidemiologist in Boston, was quoted as saying: “Modifying beverage intake might make a difference,” but only as part of a broad treatment strategy.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 hours ago, rlyem said:

Is it national wine day? 

I don't like wine, especially dry wine. I used to like sweet liquors but can't handle any alcoholic drink anymore.

Am alcohol intolerant ( have ME/CFS which later affected heart & pancreas ) 😞

Forgot - can't have grapefruit or the juice as it negates my meds.

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

7 minutes ago, Gregexplore said:

Do you mean to get “stoned” with wine ? LOL :lol1:

It does seem to be a contradiction. Wine apparently can reduce the formations of stones by 20%

So if my math is correct, if I drink 5 times as much wine, I'll never get kidney stones...:eek:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Oh man Kidney stones are NO JOKE! Had my first bout with it a few months ago and a slight flair up last month. I really have empathy for pregnant women now. 

And the crazy part is it can only be the size of a grain of sand and still cause all that nonsense! Just ain't right.

I've been squeezing a whole lemon in my daily water intake. Hopefully that helps. Hopefully I, and you other unfortunate souls, never have to experience that again. 

2 minutes ago, CouveBro said:

Oh man Kidney stones are NO JOKE! Had my first bout with it a few months ago and a slight flair up last month. I really have empathy for pregnant women now. 

And the crazy part is it can only be the size of a grain of sand and still cause all that nonsense! Just ain't right.

I've been squeezing a whole lemon in my daily water intake. Hopefully that helps. Hopefully I, and you other unfortunate souls, never have to experience that again. 

Aww sounds awful :/   Cider vinegar in a glass of water is meant to help with pain too, rinse your mouth with plain water afterwards for your teeth.  And do drink plenty of water every day.  Reduce sodium.  Eat lots of veg and beans and lentils.  

Found a bigger one.  This is the biggest one in the world!

Kidney-stone-1.jpg

I presume it must be this one  "Kidney stones can reach exceptional size. In December 2003, a kidney stone weighing 356 g (12.5 oz) was removed from the right kidney of Peter Baulman of Australia. At its widest point, the stone measured 11.86 cm (4.66 in).

Edited by Naturale

17 minutes ago, Naturale said:

I wonder if he used it for a doorstop after

He should name it and send it to school. That's a big boy...

On 3/20/2019 at 12:26 AM, pnutts said:

@pnutts

can't handle any alcoholic drink anymore.

Am alcohol intolerant ( have ME/CFS which later affected heart & pancreas ) 😞

I too can't tolerate alcoholic drinks. Ever since from an early age. Even the slightest bit of alcohol will make my face flush red in color and I will feel dizzy. My older brother (dec) used to drink while entertaining customers and he will come back drunk and say nasty things. His face then will be flushed. So I think this trait runs in my family. A lot of Asians are like that. I read that people whose bodies are unable to break down acetaldehyde, the first metabolite of alcohol are more prone to high blood pressure. My brother died of lung cancer at the age of 71. I don't have high b.p. 

To the contrary, my blood pressure tended toward the lower digits and I will have to lie down, just like my mother. My mother suffered a stroke while in her late 60's. I also have low energy levels. I didn't have myself tested for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic fatigue syndrome. I also need to be tested for Fibromyalgia. 

Just in case, I get hauled up for being off topic, my 73 year old neighbour had kidney stones. She took herbal medication and she says she no longer feel the pain.