JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Street Preachers charged

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1831 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Just wonder though if a law like that could eventually be used as a precedent against all of us. 

Funny though how the paparazzi get away with their public harassment. Free speech amendment I know but they’re  still harassing and invading people’s personal privacy and space. Maybe it just falls in with why aren’t the KKK, American Nazi Party, Satanists banned either. And guns..

Wow I’m really on a rant..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

25 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

Sounds like it was something they said, not just that they were preaching. 

Yes that's true but I was thinking sometime in the future when they are looking for ways to get to us, this law will be on the books and they could amend or tweak it in some way to cover us. If all-those-who-matter are agreeable they may just find a loophole..just a thought..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

Recently, where we live..Daytona Beach, Fl.; we had a special 10 day Cart Witnessing Initiative on either side of the highway (International Speedway Blvd.) for Speed Week, including the Daytona 500 race. It was a first for our city! The brothers and sisters were so well dressed and poised that many made favorable comments about us..in fact we were invited back for another event! The organizer for the whole event at the race track compared us and some who had placards saying "You will burn in hell!" saying that we were encouraging to ones attending the race, whereas the others were driving people away!! An excellent 10 day witness with carts set up beside the public sidewalks!

20190307_195725-2-1.jpg

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

5 hours ago, Dove said:

Just wonder though if a law like that could eventually be used as a precedent against all of us. 

Yup. My thoughts too. Cart witnessing on public lands - definitely upsets apostates - thus ????

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

4 hours ago, SUNRAY said:

Recently, where we live..Daytona Beach, Fl.; we had a special 10 day Cart Witnessing Initiative on either side of the highway (International Speedway Blvd.) for Speed Week, including the Daytona 500 race. It was a first for our city! The brothers and sisters were so well dressed and poised that many made favorable comments about us..in fact we were invited back for another event! The organizer for the whole event at the race track compared us and some who had placards saying "You will burn in hell!" saying that we were encouraging to ones attending the race, whereas the others were driving people away!! An excellent 10 day witness with carts set up beside the public sidewalks!

20190307_195725-2-1.jpg

As a race fan and a brother this makes me happy 

2 hours ago, Shawnster said:

this makes me happy

When we had local needs, I took pictures of the monitors. Here is one of the friends crossing the highway to take up positions on the sidewalk on the other side of the highway..also going across the sky walk. First they would work one side then the other side. We were told by event organizers and law enforcement how tranquil our initiatve was and that we "beautified the city"! There were 852 conversations reported...many while informal witnessing on beachside using contact cards, and while taking breaks during back to back shifts from 6:30am til 11:30 pm! There were 16 locations for carts and 4 locations beachside speaking with ones shopping and visiting restaurants. One inactive witness took literature for himself and his inactive father! Because of the intense super organization required 5000 volunteers participated. Many drivers went back and forth from the Assembly Hall where the event was staged. was staged..for 10 days!

20190307_195519-1.jpg

20190307_195742-1.jpg

20190307_195509-1.jpg

Edited by SUNRAY

nothing changed

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

They are holding a "great whore" sign. That is probably why they were considered a nuisance.

This reminds me of a discussion I had with two elders during a Bible study about two weeks ago. As we were discussing something, the topic of the Babylonian prostitute came up. Since one of the brothers was not very fluent in Russian, I switched to Kyrgyz and asked them if it was Ok to call the Babylonian prostitute a "whore". They were taken aback a bit and said it would be inappropriate both in Russian and Kyrgyz. 

So is it OK to use "whore" to describe the Babylon the Great in English?  

33 minutes ago, Bek said:

They are holding a "great whore" sign. That is probably why they were considered a nuisance.

This reminds me of a discussion I had with two elders during a Bible study about two weeks ago. As we were discussing something, the topic of the Babylonian prostitute came up. Since one of the brothers was not very fluent in Russian, I switched to Kyrgyz and asked them if it was Ok to call the Babylonian prostitute a "whore". They were taken aback a bit and said it would be inappropriate both in Russian and Kyrgyz. 

That's how the King James Bible describes her at Rev 17:

17 And there came one of the seven angels which had the seven vials, and talked with me, saying unto me, Come hither; I will shew unto thee the judgment of the great whore that sitteth upon many waters:

15 And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the whore sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues

So, Christendom (in English) uses that phrase. I haven't seen it in our magazines for quite some time, but I know we have used it.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

1 hour ago, Bek said:

32 minutes ago, trottigy said:

That's how the King James Bible describes her at Rev 17:

So, Christendom (in English) uses that phrase. I haven't seen it in our magazines for quite some time, but I know we have used it.

It was more common in the past, typically among brothers and sisters who were in the Truth before the NWT was released.  The phrase is even in our publications https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/s/r1/lp-e?q=Whore+Babylon&p=par&r=occ

But typically we don't use the expression today.  You might get some funny looks but no one would really be offended.  It would be more like surprise at such archaic language. 

I would say that calling a prostitute a whore could be demeaning to quite some people, since to them she might be "just a woman trying to make ends meet". Of course, to somebody with a high set of moral standards, a prostitute is automatically a whore by any definition.

But I would say that by modern standards, a "prostitute" is the definition of the occupation whereas the word "whore" also implies a lot of the moral implication of that occupation, which is why it is often used more as an insult.

I personally would never call a call-girl a "whore" because I try my best not to judge people, but I still use the term for Babylon when speaking to Brothers because I have no respect for Babylon as an institution.

By the way, the same name-change exists in German where Babylon could either be called a "Prostituierte" or a "Hure". Interestingly, they went for the more archaic term "Hure" for the revised NWT because it is still a known term especially in street slang and probably due to the lower reputation. Rahab, for example, is called a "prostitute" whereas Babylon is a "whore"