JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Purple Fence Post = No Trespassing in some States

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1744 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

This has been making the rounds on Facebook so I double checked it on Snopes and it's true in certain. States. Thought the people here in those states could use the information.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/purple-paint-no-trespassing/

.gnihtyna yas t'nseod ti tuo dnif uoy ,syas yllautca siht tahw ezilaer uoy emit eht yB

Oh sorry, I didn't think to look for it since it's making the rounds recently. 

.gnihtyna yas t'nseod ti tuo dnif uoy ,syas yllautca siht tahw ezilaer uoy emit eht yB

3 hours ago, Qapla said:

Yes, the "Purple Paint" used for "No Trespassing" was discussed in this thread (beginning with post #11)

Here in middle  Tennessee the only ones besides us JW's are AT&T and Comcast selling cable and  internet and occasionally the volunteer fire department soliciting funds.

Yes, we look out for that in rural areas out in the ministry here in Texas.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

It should also be noted that only a few states, including Illinois, Missouri, North Carolina, and Texas, have formal laws establishing purple paint markings as the legal equivalent of “No Trespassing” signs.

Whew! Marked safe from the purple paint here in Ohio :D

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

It started in Arkansas in 1989 and by 1997, Texas had adopted the "purple paint rule" as an act of legal legislation.

Other states with purple paint rules include Kansas, Arizona, Montana, Arkansas, Idaho, Florida, Maine, North Carolina, Missouri and Illinois.

An interesting thing about this is that purple is also the color used to mark "reclaimed water" ... nationwide!

On new construction sites there are posts with purple painted on the top portion and others with blue painted on the top portion. It is to distinguish the reclaimed water source (meter location) from the fresh/potable water source (meter location).

In cities around the United States blue is for potable water. Green is for sewers. Yellow signifies natural gas, oil, petroleum, or something else that’s potentially flammable. Orange is for telecommunications. Red is for power lines. And white is for marking where excavations and new pipe routes will go.

So that’s one reason why purple. “Because it’s a color that wasn’t already spoken for,”

It was also found that purple is a color that many color blind people can see and distinguish - who knew :shrugs: 

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Other than knowing about colors for utilities never heard about painting posts for “no trespassing”. 

Still a good thing to be aware of as maybe more states (even Michigan) will start doing this. 

If a person isn’t aware of it, could get themselves in a lot of trouble with home owners

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

• 2 months later...
On 4/3/2019 at 12:40 PM, Qapla said:

Yes, the "Purple Paint" used for "No Trespassing" was discussed in this thread (beginning with post #11)

Here in middle Tennessee  ( Nashville ) we get a lot of soliciting from bug exterminating business, cable/satellite and volunteer fire departments, many brothers and sisters do not know about the "purple " paint on a tree or post in fact a few months ago an elder gave a part about " no trespassing " he never mentioned the purple paint, I told him about it after the meeting and sent him an article on it, he was very surprised. 

We too solicitors. Had an exterminator last week. Have had someone a month ago or so trying to get us to make our house smart or more WiFiable or something like that? They both started off with how they are doing things for the other neighbors, the bug guy said the bugs may move to us if we don't do it at the same time as the neighbors. The Smart Home guy said he noticed that we recently moved in as he pointed to my wife's real estate sign by the garage, waiting for one of her agents to come pick it up for her new listing.

3 hours ago, M&M said:

We too solicitors. Had an exterminator last week. Have had someone a month ago or so trying to get us to make our house smart or more WiFiable or something like that? They both started off with how they are doing things for the other neighbors, the bug guy said the bugs may move to us if we don't do it at the same time as the neighbors. The Smart Home guy said he noticed that we recently moved in as he pointed to my wife's real estate sign by the garage, waiting for one of her agents to come pick it up for her new listing.

Ì tell the bug guys that I do my own pest controll, when they ask me what I use I tell them Bifen I/T the same stuff that they use, they can't argue with me and leave.

There is a small community of single houses not more then 20 minutes from where I live, and one day I was out that way, and noticed that several signs were put up standing single, and some nailed to public telephone poles, NO TRESPASSING WITHOUT A PERMIT.  I thought who needs a permit to walk on the public sidewalk?  So the police need a 'Permit" or "Fire Dept" and "Ambulance."   Lately, I've seen more and more of No trespassing signs in the territory lately.  No parking, private road, No Trespassing, Private Driveways (yes plural s).  Am not sure this has gone to court because I have not heard anything on the local news media about this area.  I do know that the 3 congregations that have that territory stay far far away from it.  You know, letter writing isn't a bad idea! They can't stop the mailman from putting mail in their mailboxes, even if some are on their porches.   Oh my pray for that Kingdom to come, our work becomes illegal day by day!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2019 at 7:16 AM, Qapla said:

image.png.6a370f156b93674fe2730950cd3918f9.pngimage.png.f5579d2eb327326aa5dd245cf48d65ce.png

Same code we used surveying at the gas plant, I didn't realize it was standard, thought maybe it was just company policy.  We used a lot of orange for layout and grade stakes, probably for visibility more than anything

In the oil refineries that I have worked in, all of the Nitrogen piping was painted purple. I guess that still means No Trespassing :thumbsup:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

50 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

In the oil refineries that I have worked in, all of the Nitrogen piping was painted purple. I guess that still means No Trespassing :thumbsup:

I started working in a chemical plant back in 1972. At first, none of the lines were color-coded. About 5 years later, we started painting the pipes different colors. Tortuga's post jogged my memory. I do remember purple for Nitrogen. I don't remember what colors were used for Hydrogen, Propane, etc. I think blue may have been for water lines.

1 hour ago, Witness1970 said:

I do remember purple for Nitrogen

There is an unfortunate story about an abrasive blaster working in a refinery tank farm and he decided to use the refinery hard piped air for his hood, unfortunately it was a Nitrogen line. So all Nitrogen or inert gas lines are painted and labeled. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Depending on the use, some of the colors have multiple meanings

For instance, while RED is used to locate Buried Electrical Lines - electric conduit is gray/grey and HOT WATER pipes are RED

14 hours ago, Tortuga said:

There is an unfortunate story about an abrasive blaster working in a refinery tank farm and he decided to use the refinery hard piped air for his hood, unfortunately it was a Nitrogen line. So all Nitrogen or inert gas lines are painted and labeled. 

We worked a shift schedule sometimes referred to as 21 turn. As a shift supervisor working the night shift that week, I had my operators purging out a vacuum column with Nitrogen on one occasion. My shift had gone for the day and should have turned the Nitrogen off and hooked up an air line to clear the column for entry. I walked up to the manway to look in. My head immediately started spinning. I raised myself up and staggered over to the handrail about 10 feet away. The dizziness went away and I realized that my operators had left the nitrogen on. I went in and asked the day shift operators (their supervisor was busy elsewhere) to disconnect the nitrogen line and hook up an air line to make it safe for maintenance. 

That was my experience with breathing nitrogen for just a few seconds.

I have been breathing Nitrogen all my life ... usually about 78% by volume

Spoiler

Dry air (the typical air we breath) contains 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.04% carbon dioxide by volume, and small amounts of other gases. Air also contains a variable amount of water vapor, on average around 1% at sea level, and 0.4% over the entire atmosphere.

58 minutes ago, Qapla said:

I have been breathing Nitrogen all my life ... usually about 78% by volume

A slight increase in that percentage will cause oxygen deprivation and death. 

Back on topic...

I have not seen purple paint in California except on nitrogen piping.