JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

A dog for a young single brother

daydream

Factors to be taken into consideration when choosing a dog. 

Size : medium

Upkeep/Grooming needs : 1/2 hr each day

The propensity to shed fur : mild

Health issues : no major problems like hip dysplasia

Daily exercise : 2 times a day

Home enviroment : An enclosed large yard

Yearly Maintenance Cost : $$$

Breed Temperament : Easy to get along with people (including children)

Suggested breed : Schipperke

schipperke.jpg

Edited by M'Awan

Hi, Sister Rosanne. Thanks for your kindness. I don't how to got into this business of owning a club. Making things up as I go bumbling along. Any sheep pictures to share? Sorry for the initial blunder. I thought it was a goat. Me old eyes deceive me. Good thing I swiftly edited it out.

:)

Edited by M'Awan

Wow, the club has been approved, hooray! 

Congratulation on your first club and topic, Sister! :)

You can also include small breeds. I think many people like them too, including you. 

As for Schipperkes, I think they are a good breed both for apartments and houses. They are very clever and brave despite their size. According to one research on canine intelligence, Schipperkes are ranked among top 12 clever dogs in the world. 

Earlier you mention that their long coat may need extra care and cost. From what I have read, they have easy-care coats. 

Plus, they are considered one of the healthiest dogs. 

Hey Bek,

Didn't know the owner of club is given the power to approve. How cool is that. I think the mod should have vetted me 1st before allowing this madcap to run a club. Probably run it to seed. 

Wow, you've really done your research about your ideal pet. 

Yes, you're right. I liked small toy dogs but not too tiny. Expensive medical bills. 

I had to pay for my little girl's bill for teeth scaling under anaesthesia and ultrasound scan. 

She really bankrupted me.

43 minutes ago, Bek said:

Wow, the club has been approved, hooray! 

It was already approved but I didn't know I had to go set up the topics and files. Didn't like reading instructions, a trait I share with DJT. As I inched towards the sunset years, my eyes have grown dimmer. 

Ecclesiastes 12 : 1-6 

...  the calamitous days come and the years arrive when you will say: “I have no pleasure in them”; 2  before the sun and the light and the moon and the stars grow dark, and the clouds return after the downpour; 3  in the day when the guards of the house become shaky, and the strong men stoop over, and the women quit grinding because they have become few, and the ladies looking out the windows find it dark; 4  when the doors to the street have been closed, when the sound of the grinding mill becomes low, when one gets up at the sound of a bird, and all the daughters of song grow faint 5  Also, one is afraid of heights, and there are terrors in the street. And the almond tree blossoms and the grasshopper drags itself along, and the caperberry bursts, because man is walking to his lasting house and the mourners walk about in the street; 6  before the silver cord is removed, and the golden bowl is crushed, and the jar at the spring is broken, and the waterwheel for the cistern is crushed.'

Even so, you are not doomed to a life of misery. You can still lead a fulfilling life, serving Jehovah joyfully

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/w20150715/serving-jehovah-old-age-poor-health/

3 minutes ago, Sylv said:

They are both around 80 lbs.

I'm only 105 lbs (47 kg.) the last time I checked. My SIL had a badly behaved labrador that likes to jump on people. Sam nearly knocked me over once. But he made amends by sniffing up a snake in the garden.

I'm sure you trained your dogs well, in a 'theocratic dogged' way. :chinese:

1 hour ago, Dove said:

Are those dandelions? I wish I had some...they are so healthy

From root to flower, dandelions are highly nutritious plants, loaded with vitamins, minerals and fiber.

Dandelion greens can be eaten cooked or raw and serve as an excellent source of vitamins A, C and K. They also contain vitamin E, folate and small amounts of other B vitamins

13 Potential Health Benefits of Dandelion

They are what are called bitters. Every part of the dandelion can be eaten, raw or cooked. 

Many people consider them obnoxious weeds and kill them with weed killers instead of using them as salads, etc 

plantain and chickweed are other examples of highly nutritious herbs considered weeds. They can grow anywhere, plantain even grows in highly trampled places , almost like God wants these nutritious plants to be available to everyone everywhere .

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

20 minutes ago, Dove said:

They are what are called bitters. They can grow anywhere, plantain even grows in highly trampled places , almost like God wants these nutritious plants to be available to everyone everywhere .

Thanks for highlighting the benefits of this so called weeds. I hope they don't taste like rockets vegetables. Oh well, I eat them nevertheless. Can save on detoxifying stuff from the pharmacists. 

<During the fall season, dandelions are rich with inulin, a sweet tasting starch used for weight loss and to relieve constipation. During spring, dandelions generally taste much more bitter than during the autumn months. Dandelion is used as a bitter herb to detoxify and stimulate the liver and gallbladder>

Isa 47: 12  “All sorts of trees for food will grow on both banks of the stream. Their leaves will not wither; nor will their fruitage fail. Each month they will bear new fruit because the water for them flows from the sanctuary. Their fruitage will serve as food and their leaves for healing.”

13 This is what the Sovereign Lord Jehovah says:....

3 hours ago, carlos said:

He feels very important when he's on top of the wood stack. Of course he couldn't keep his balance for long and fell down a few seconds later. :lol:

Wolf looks like a Siberian Huskey. The name suits him. 

The Siberian Husky is a beautiful dog breed with a thick coat that comes in a multitude of colors and markings. Their blue or multi-colored eyes and striking facial masks only add to the appeal of this breed, which originated in Siberia. It is easy to see why many are drawn to the Siberian’s wolf-like looks, but be aware that this athletic, intelligent dog can be independent and challenging for first-time dog owners. Huskies also put the “H” in Houdini and need a fenced yard that is sunk in the ground to prevent escapes.

Oh ok, so he is a huskey.

Image result for map of siberia

Everything in that description is true. Huskies are not known for their obedience nor their intelligence but they usually are very good family dogs. We have had more huskies and they never bit anyone, even when our friends' young daughter grabbed their ears or opened their mouth and pulled their tongue. For thousands of years they have been used to take care of children, so any huskey who was gruff was soon "discarded". They are not ideal for guardians: they will see any thief who breaks in as a friend who comes to play with them.

On the other hand they are reckless hunters and will chase every animal they see, including cows and horses. They have eaten two of my cats. And they see any fence as a challenge: they can jump high, climb and dig holes.

They don't bark much, but they howl when they hear other dogs howling.