JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I am organizing a movie night with some brothers in the congregation
What movies would you recommend to watch? Any good suggestions? What did you enjoy in similar gatherings?

Are you wanting funny? Drama? Action?

Angela's Ashes is a 1999 drama film based on the memoir of the same name by Frank McCourt. An international co-production between the United States, the United Kingdom, and Ireland,[1] it was co-written and directed by Alan Parker, and stars Emily WatsonRobert Carlyle, Joe Breen, Ciaran Owens, and Michael Legge, the latter three playing the Young, Middle and Older Frank McCourt respectively.

32 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Old black and white movies are always fun. 

Is that because California turtles can't see in color? 

Spoiler

car GIF by Cheezburger

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

Truth is, there's no way to win this one. Opinions on movies are as widespread and varied as people are, even among JW's. There's no way to be certain when suggesting a film.

I loan movies to others in my Cong all the time. Sometimes I guess right, sometimes I guess very wrong.

We host movie nights for our Cong, and the way we handle it is to provide a list of options; and have our guests make the pick. You pick for content warnings, the guests pick for interests.

This is one I generally avoid altogether. I keep my movie collection upstairs away from where our guests are. I recognize the variance in conscience on this so will rarely offer to watch a movie when we have people over. Unless they are people we know VERY well, I don't even TALK about movies. And it's not like our congregation is particularly sensitive, it's just something I've learned over many years. Maybe I'm too strict in this view but at least I don't risk stumbling others.

I would recommend "The Princess Bride" since it's pretty innocuous. Or so you'd think. And yet, I was at one viewing party where a single brother left the room during a kissing scene because he was uncomfortable. So even our "safe bets" can be risky. 🙁

1 hour ago, Duplo said:

I would recommend "The Princess Bride" since it's pretty innocuous.

I love that movie! I liked the book too....

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 6/19/2019 at 7:20 AM, ZDR said:

This is one I generally avoid altogether. I keep my movie collection upstairs away from where our guests are.

I'm pretty much the same way. our movie and book collection was in our "family lounge" basically a place off my office where we all sit and chill. it's by definition messy and chaotic. My sci-fi and sports stuff that wern't office decorations were there as well. During a small family cookout/gathering of about 30 people... My wife's aunts new husband at the time (that whole string of words is odd and they are still married) took it upon himself to wander around and make comments about our movie choices and wall hangings. then stood slackjawed when two of her cousin's who are elders went down and joined the super mario brother's tournament that the kids were having. He's mellowed a bit. 

This is one I generally avoid altogether. I keep my movie collection upstairs away from where our guests are. I recognize the variance in conscience on this so will rarely offer to watch a movie when we have people over. Unless they are people we know VERY well, I don't even TALK about movies. And it's not like our congregation is particularly sensitive, it's just something I've learned over many years. Maybe I'm too strict in this view but at least I don't risk stumbling others.

I would recommend "The Princess Bride" since it's pretty innocuous. Or so you'd think. And yet, I was at one viewing party where a single brother left the room during a kissing scene because he was uncomfortable. So even our "safe bets" can be risky.

You sound exactly like me re: keeping my personal choices put away. Now with everything going digital it’s made it even easier.

Like you unless I know someone VERY well I don’t discuss movies, music or sports.

I remember when I was 13-14 yrs old my bro in law invited me to go see Phil Collins in concert. Being young I told everyone as I was so excited. A brother in the congregation got wind of it and caused a huge issue because: he felt the way Phil played drums was too violent and reasoned it may induce people to act violently. Phil Collins...not Metallica or Megadeth.

Since then I learned to keep my tastes personal.

I think it is tricky to see a movie together with a group of brothers and sisters. The point with such a gathering is to do something together. What film you watch is secondary. So if people start to walk out because they have found something that offends their conscience, it kind of defeats the purpose of the gathering. So going out for a meal might be a better idea. Even having a drink together might work better.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

16 minutes ago, Cheeks said:

You sound exactly like me re: keeping my personal choices put away. Now with everything going digital it’s made it even easier.

Like you unless I know someone VERY well I don’t discuss movies, music or sports.

I remember when I was 13-14 yrs old my bro in law invited me to go see Phil Collins in concert. Being young I told everyone as I was so excited. A brother in the congregation got wind of it and caused a huge issue because: he felt the way Phil played drums was too violent and reasoned it may induce people to act violently. Phil Collins...not Metallica or Megadeth.

Since then I learned to keep my tastes personal.

Phil Collins played drums too violently? He’d never seen Phil Collins behind a drum set, right?

I dare you to watch the full clip. It’s all good fun.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Phil Collins played drums too violently? He’d never seen Phil Collins behind a drum set, right?

It was entirely laughable looking back at the whole thing but at the time is was so upset because then my Dad said to keep peace in the Congregation I was not allowed to go.

My bro in law a few months later told me he had something for me but under the strict rule of secrecy was I to tell no one: he took me to see ZZ Top.

3 hours ago, Cheeks said:

Megadeth.

Megadeths Dave Mustaine was raised a JW, I knew him when he was a kid.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Megadeths Dave Mustaine was raised a JW, I knew him when he was a kid.

Yeah I had heard that too. Was even included in his autobiography - I didn’t read it obviously but looked it up once when I was at a book store.

Prince attended the same Kingdom Hall as my sister near Toronto - a few times they would pass him as their meeting was finished and he was coming in for his.

On 6/23/2019 at 6:03 PM, Thesauron said:

One of my favourite concerts ever was Phil Collins in 2004 ! I simply LOVE  his drum solo in "in the air tonight" :ecstatic:

Best example of how different people see things... 

Chrissy :wave: