JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Avert your eyes low-carb folks - this thread is for bread lovers!

I couldn't find a thread for bread making so I started one.

As a German living in the UK I REALLY miss decent bread (not just German bread, anything from mainland Europe basically). There are a few places in my town where you can buy artisan breads but it's just a hassle and very expensive to get. A lot of bread in Britain is just overly processed, soft mush basically (sorry to all Brits and Warburton's fans here 🤣 ). The only thing they thankfully refrain from doing so far is adding sugar to bread - how that ever entered American culture I really do not know. 

Some supermarkets here have a relatively good bakery section but since they are not being prepared in-house I presume they also contain some unnecessary ingredients - still, the bread is better than the sliced stuff in plastic wrap.

Now I haven't quite figured out how to make good sourdough bread yet (mainly because I have been too lazy to make my own starter). German wholemeal sourdough breads are especially hard to make - you mostly end up with a brick which I mainly put down to baking technique rather than the recipe.

But I found an amazing recipe the other day which I shared with one of my friends in the US and is so easy to make. She loved it! I want to try it with a sourdough recipe when I have the time. 

This recipe still is very good since you are only using a tiny amount of yeast compared to normal recipes and you basically let it ferment - She only let's it sit for 4 hours but I leave it over night and sometimes even longer. You can also make Pizza with the dough. The recipe does come with a video - all you need is water, yeast, salt and a casserole dish with a lid. As a reference the picture of the bread that has just come out of my oven! This is a half white, half wholemeal bread. You can literally use any combination of flour or recipe (although gluten-free wouldn't work here I think). Enjoy and feel free to share some of your own recipes here 😊

https://www.jennycancook.com/recipes/faster-no-knead-bread/

MVIMG_20190815_200201.jpg

Thanks for making this thread Sister Judy, I have a question. Have you ever tried to make 'Ezekiel Bread'? I think that would be a very healthy choice - apparently it's a meal in itself.

PS: Your bread looks gorgeous ... we have a cafe started up next to my work and they are called the Sour Bros - they make sourdough - and it's horrible ... like hard and dry ... we've tried it three times to be sure it wasn't just that loaf of bread ... (Tom loves bread) - yours looks a lot more appealing.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

12 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

Thanks for making this thread Sister Judy, I have a question. Have you ever tried to make 'Ezekiel Bread'? I think that would be a very healthy choice - apparently it's a meal in itself.

PS: Your bread looks gorgeous ... we have a cafe started up next to my work and they are called the Sour Bros - they make sourdough - and it's horrible ... like hard and dry ... we've tried it three times to be sure it wasn't just that loaf of bread ... (Tom loves bread) - yours looks a lot more appealing.

I always wanted to try making Ezekiel bread! The only thing that put me off was all that sprouting..haha...it takes a lot of time to do. Although I have seen a few supermarkets now selling Ezekiel bread flour. I will keep it on my list of things to master.

I think sourdough bread, when made badly, doesn't go down well with a lot of people. Being from Germany I am used to a certain level of chewy-ness. But I know  a lot of people who wouldn't eat the best made German sourdough bread 😄

This bread is lovely and fluffy inside as it is yeast based. Here is a picture.

20190815_212837.jpg

1 hour ago, Stormswift said:

we have a cafe started up next to my work and they are called the Sour Bros - they make sourdough - and it's horrible ... like hard and dry ...

I buy bread (religiously) from Woodfrog Bakery here in Melbourne

https://woodfrogbakery.com.au/

We do have good bakeries and coffee places here in Melbourne :drink: (bit spoiled here)

Will serve products from that bakery to our international guests in November .....:D

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

As soon as it is approved there will be a Club for bread

The Bread Basket

There is already a Club for Pizza

I usually make bread for the group when we feed the speaker after the PT

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

6 hours ago, Qapla said:

As soon as it is approved there will be a Club for bread

The Bread Basket

There is already a Club for Pizza

I usually make bread for the group when we feed the speaker after the PT

Ooohhh that's brilliant. I still haven't figured out the clubs. I joined one the other day but couldn't add anything

5 hours ago, TonyWenz said:

My son makes his own bread... 1181e55ce35988e4c6908cf00499ca11.jpg

Just Older emoji856.png

That looks delicious! Looks like he is using the same method.

49 minutes ago, JehovahLuvs said:

anyone found a fantastic tasty light fluffy gluten free recipe that tastes just like normal bread? No? Thought not! If only. I can eat bread but my wife can't...poor love.

Not quite the exact taste of bread from the store, but if you are low carb, there is a great recipe called Chaffle (cheese waffle) that does not use any flour.  Might be worth a try.  I do not like eggs so I can't wrap my head around it.  I have tried making Chaffles by adding ingredients such as pumpkin to give it  pumpkin bread flavor, but I still taste the egg.  The mozzerella cheese you use with the waffle maker, makes the "waffle" crisps and that helps.  Worth a shot if you like eggs.  :) 

8 minutes ago, Jeanie said:

Not quite the exact taste of bread from the store, but if you are low carb, there is a great recipe called Chaffle (cheese waffle) that does not use any flour.  Might be worth a try.  I do not like eggs so I can't wrap my head around it.  I have tried making Chaffles by adding ingredients such as pumpkin to give it  pumpkin bread flavor, but I still taste the egg.  The mozzerella cheese you use with the waffle maker, makes the "waffle" crisps and that helps.  Worth a shot if you like eggs:) 

Wow this sounds amazing, I am going to try and will report back! thank you sister.