JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Singing to piano at the kingdom hall

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1723 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

6 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

Mmmm, just a tiny bit older than you---

😎

Was it sister Gentry that played the piano?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

7 hours ago, Tortuga said:

You are dating yourself! :lol1:

How old are you? approximately....:)

Dating oneself saves money on a wedding.

I played for three Kingdom Halls over my time. We have just recently sold our baby grand we had in our kingdom hall. 

Masterton had an orchestra as did Wanganui .. practice was such fun!

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I remember that some musicians were good. Some... not so much. Quality was very inconsistent. Some were known to play too fast, some too slow. Some were excellent, but they were, honestly, few and far between. I did hear a 13 year old brother play the Kingdom songs with incredible finesse, though.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

11 minutes ago, Miss Bea said:

Jerry, remember Opre McCoy leading us, along with Mary Jean at the piano? 

Actually I don't, but that is because Opre McCoy didn't take an interest in the Truth until about the time we moved to Oregon. He and my Dad became the best of friends. Possibly Dad might have studied with Opre. 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

We had a lovely sister called Maisie who was our piano player.... (pianist) is a bit of a stretch!!  I can remember turning the music sheets for her,  such great memories. 

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

On 8/21/2019 at 11:03 PM, Stormswift said:

One of our Pianists worked for TVNZ ... had his own ballroom show. He created the song below:

[video]

I find it almost disturbing how the chap on the right almost slices his friend in half like cheese :upsidedown:

To this David said: “What have I done now? I was only asking a question!”

– 1 Samuel 17:29

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 6:31 AM, JehovahLuvs said:

Does anyone here remember singing kingdom melodies to live piano at the kingdom hall?

Yes. I do as a child while my oldest sister played the piano

Anyone remember singing with piano accompniment out the the red song book?

(I know Dorothy can. :))

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Just now, Qapla said:

I remember the green songbook back when we had the piano

We sang out of the red songbook at all our company meetings including when the 'Servant to the Brethren' was visiting. (actually his title had been changed for a few years but many failed to pick up on the new term 'Circuit Servant'.)  :)

Old is not old enough to have sang out of any thing prior to "the "Kingdom Service "songbook. Though we did have all the ones in that row in our library.

I would go back and look at the color plates in the older books, there were usually one or two. It wasn't until years later I discovered that most of these color plates were from the 'Photo Drama".

Many years would pass before we had any further  illustrations in our publications.