JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Caution! Our Words May Have Much More Impact Than We are Aware!!

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1683 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

This is a very good point, Neil.

This is especially true of online sites such as this one. When you are only looking at a computer screen rather than the face of the other person it's easy to turn into a keyboard warrior and say bold things we wouldn't dare saying to their face. It's very easy to offend others without even noticing.

On the other hand, it's comforting to know that our words can also be a healing for others. I have noticed that some times a simple and sincere comment of praise that didn't cost me anything was a huge encouragement  for a fellow Christian. Some have reminded me of some encouraging comment I told them years ago and that they still remember. I guess others remember things I said that hurt them, I hope they aren't many. :)

Edited by carlos

Oh,  @carlos you are so right! It's a different world we live in online, and we write things we would never say. This is the first (and only) online social networking site I've ever been a member of, and I've tried to be conscious of that fact since the beginning here. Even with that I know I can slip up anyway. I hope that the times I've offended anyone here were not taken too seriously. :notworthy:

Thank you so much for the reminder. :)

Thanks brothers for your thoughtful words

Often when we have a chronic illness or autoimmune disease we feel guilt for not being able to do everything we think we should

One time someone send me a pm, angrily demanding to know why I did what I did on the forum. I was just trying to be helpful and didn't do any wrong. But she wanted to have things done her way. Nothing wrong with that but couldn't she say it  nicely. So I acquiesced to her wishes after apologizing for my so called misstep but I didn't feel good about it.  Obviously still harboring resentment. 

Need that dose of medicine.

What I find helpful before I decide to put up a new topic on the forum is to make a draft on a Word document. After a 2nd reading, I usually delete it because it just seem like a load of rubbish. Sometimes when we decide to say something not so polite, we could use that option. 

I didn't know a word of English until I started primary school at age 7 so I don't feel very confident about my writing. Sorry for my inadequacies. 

I wished folks here wouldn't misuse the pm option to tear down others. It can weigh down on one's spirit. Just have it all out in the open, warts and all. It is also not proper for a forum member ( with limited access status)  to chat via pm to a sister when the subject matter is not upbuilding at all. 

I always wondered why so many of our brothers and sisters choose to be lurkers. It is so tempting to be one. 

Nevertheless, good thoughts always.

Edited by M'Awan

1 hour ago, M'Awan said:

I wished folks here wouldn't misuse the pm option to tear down others. It can weigh down on one's spirit. Just have it all out in the open, warts and all. It is also not proper for a forum member ( with limited access status)  to chat via pm to a sister when the subject matter is not upbuilding at all. 

I'm sorry that you had that bad experience. But I don't agree in the part about having it all out in the open. :) When we think someone needs corrected, it's usually better to do it privately. And of course using tact and nice words, it seems the sister could have done it better. 

If it ever happens again that you feel uncomfortable with a PM, you can ignore their comment. Or if it is inappropriate you can always report it to the mods and they will take measures.

We are glad you are not a lurker. :) Lurkers are removed from time to time.

Edited by carlos

@Beggar for the Spirit  Wow, such sensitivity. I wished more people would read a little bit from the book 'Men are from Mars...

Sure glad our brothers treat our sisters with such understanding.

@carlos Penning the post at 3 am, I got carried away. Thanks for putting up with me. 

8 hours ago, M'Awan said:

Thanks brothers for your thoughtful words

Often when we have a chronic illness or autoimmune disease we feel guilt for not being able to do everything we think we should

One time someone send me a pm, angrily demanding to know why I did what I did on the forum. I was just trying to be helpful and didn't do any wrong. But she wanted to have things done her way. Nothing wrong with that but couldn't she say it  nicely. So I acquiesced to her wishes after apologizing for my so called misstep but I didn't feel good about it.  Obviously still harboring resentment. 

Need that dose of medicine.

What I find helpful before I decide to put up a new topic on the forum is to make a draft on a Word document. After a 2nd reading, I usually delete it because it just seem like a load of rubbish. Sometimes when we decide to say something not so polite, we could use that option. 

I didn't know a word of English until I started primary school at age 7 so I don't feel very confident about my writing. Sorry for my inadequacies. 

I always wondered why so many of our brothers and sisters choose to be lurkers. It is so tempting to be one. 

Nevertheless, good thoughts always.

I ignore pm that is not upbuilding especially if its accusation. 

Jehovah knows me but a person cannot fully knows me. 

5 hours ago, JennyM said:

I ignore pm that is not upbuilding especially if its accusation. 

Jehovah knows me but a person cannot fully knows me. 

That's a good suggestion. 

A while ago I received a private message from someone that said that I should recognize the error in judgement on my part and attempt to make amends. And more things like that. For nicely stating a personal opinion. It was crazy.

It came as a shock. It was totally unfounded. But I tried to settle it peacefully which didn't work out so well which also upset me a bit. Next time I'd ignore something like that. 

I mostly lurk now.

2 hours ago, blue-jay said:

That's a good suggestion. 

A while ago I received a private message from someone that said that I should recognize the error in judgement on my part and attempt to make amends. And more things like that. For nicely stating a personal opinion. It was crazy.

It came as a shock. It was totally unfounded. But I tried to settle it peacefully which didn't work out so well which also upset me a bit. Next time I'd ignore something like that. 

I mostly lurk now.

Lol! I only accept judgement from  Jehovah... I mostly see myself from the bible.. 

Lets be careful.. We don't know whom we  are really talking to online...  That discouraging pm might be not  from a true Christian anymore... We are all strangers online... 

Remember,  that some zealous person in Russia before was actually a spy of the Soviet Union .. (I don't remember exactly from my memory but it happened even in the organization)....

Satan can use anyone to discourage  us whether someone in the congregation or from online.. 

Bible reading helps me to focus more positive.. What Jehovah really thought about  me? not just from someone online... 

8 hours ago, blue-jay said:

I mostly lurk now.

Hi Sister Jay, 

You have had more impact here than you may realize. You have made about 1200 posts!

And you have had over 1600 positive reactions from those posts! (tu)

And also very important is that you have commended many others by giving over 1800 positive reactions to others! >:D<

So you are a valued sister here!

But if you only "mostly lurk now", then this would be like a city that has many "Blue-Jays" but then these wonderful birds decide one day to no longer live there and just visit once in a while. How the city would miss those Blue-Jays! So if you just lurk, then you will take away the only wonderful Blue-Jay we have. :(

blue-jay

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

41 minutes ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

1200 posts,over 1600 positive reactions,over 1800 positive reactions 

So you are a valued sister here!

blue-jay

Thank you for that post! That means a lot. What very nice words 😊

And I had no idea that it was possible to see those statistics. 

13 hours ago, blue-jay said:

. . . Next time I'd ignore something like that.

If you have your profile set to receive an email notifications for a PM, you can read it in your email rather than here. And if it's one of those less-pleasant messages, you won't even have to look at it next time you login. Just go in to your PMs, put a checkmark next to the offending message on the left, and delete it without even looking at it. The person who sent it will only see that you have "left the conversation." I'm not sure but I think they will also see that their message was never read. It might not be a "nice" way to handle it, but it would be nicer than their message was.

4 hours ago, blue-jay said:

Thank you for that post! That means a lot. What very nice words 😊

And I had no idea that it was possible to see those statistics. 

Anyone can see how many posts you've written (at this point 1,199), or how many reactions to posts you've given (1,808), and how many reactions you've received (1,656), by looking at your profile page. It's all there. It just might take a while for you to find it all, especially the number of reactions given.

Edited by Sheep

stat correction

1 hour ago, Sheep said:

If you have your profile set to receive an email notifications for a PM, you can read it in your email rather than here. And if it's one of those less-pleasant messages, you won't even have to look at it next time you login. Just go in to your PMs, put a checkmark next to the offending message on the left, and delete it without even looking at it. The person who sent it will only see that you have "left the conversation." I'm not sure but I think they will also see that their message was never read. It might not be a "nice" way to handle it, but it would be nicer than their message was.

What an excellent suggestion!  :)

These are my brothers and sisters. I try to treat them as I would treat anyone at the hall. 

I know our dear moderators are kept busy, trying to make sure the are all behaving themselves. And, that is so appreciated. But, I sort of think like we all think. The bottom line is how we treat another, before Jehovah. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 5:01 AM, carlos said:

This is a very good point, Neil.

This is especially true of online sites such as this one. When you are only looking at a computer screen rather than the face of the other person it's easy to turn into a keyboard warrior and say bold things we wouldn't dare saying to their face. It's very easy to offend others without even noticing.

On the other hand, it's comforting to know that our words can also be a healing for others. I have noticed that some times a simple and sincere comment of praise that didn't cost me anything was a huge encouragement  for a fellow Christian. Some have reminded me of some encouraging comment I told them years ago and that they still remember. I guess others remember things I said that hurt them, I hope they aren't many. :)

Sobering warning!    We also have to be careful our words might be misunderstood, as has happened to me repeatedly on this forum.

Sorry about that, btw.

Seriously.

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 2:02 AM, Miss Bea said:

These are my brothers and sisters. I try to treat them as I would treat anyone at the hall. 

I know our dear moderators are kept busy, trying to make sure the are all behaving themselves. And, that is so appreciated. But, I sort of think like we all think. The bottom line is how we treat another, before Jehovah. 

And that is a treat!😉

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)