JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Dark theme for JW Library

15 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Love it!

How do we do that?

Some phones are now starting to get upgraded to Android version 10. 

With it, enable then go into Developer options.  Then turn on the option of Override force-dark to theme JW Library and other third party Android apps:

Untitled.jpg

Edited by luisenriquereyes

I use a "dark theme" of a sorts.  Android (since Lollipop, I think) has an "invert colors" feature.  But Android does not have the "smart" feature of Ipad.  Android invert the pictures to a negative type display.  Ipad leaves them in normal color.

Can you show me a screenshot of the dark mode with something highlighted in the library.  All of my other "invert" schemes reduce the colors for highlighting to dark, low level colors that are hard to distinguish.  I long for a dark theme with brighter highlighting.

12 minutes ago, jwhess said:

Can you show me a screenshot of the dark mode with something highlighted in the library.  All of my other "invert" schemes reduce the colors for highlighting to dark, low level colors that are hard to distinguish.  I long for a dark theme with brighter highlighting.

Looks like the Red colored highlights and maybe Blue are the best to distinguish.  Yellow and Green highlights are hard to see 😥

Untitled.jpg

Thanks. The Negative program for Windows is not much better.  I have a screenshot and startng in paragraph 2 I have highlighted the first part of the first 4 sentences.  Green is fairly good (sentence 2).  but the others are pretty pale.  The bright blue below is the "selection" bar when you hold down the right mouse button.

My Ipad and Android "invert colors" shows highlighting about the same as your picture.  Thanks very much for your help.

reg.JPG

I use the 'night' mode when using tablet from platform. I think (hope) it is better for the audience as many speakers have the tablet light up their glasses , so all you focus on is the big reflective squares on the lenses.

I think I'm going to like this dark mode. I expect it might extend battery life as well...

Just Older

I don't seem to have that option available on my phone

You might have to wait until they roll out Android 10 for your device to get the official 'Dark Mode'...

The night mode was a feature of my pdf app. Many pdf 'readers' would have this option.

Also, you may have to google how to turn on the 'Developer Options'. It is not easy to find. On my phone it was pressing a special sequence of buttons to 'unlock' this mode. (As the name suggests, it is for program developers....)

Just Older

17 minutes ago, TonyWenz said:

I use the 'night' mode when using tablet from platform. I think (hope) it is better for the audience as many speakers have the tablet light up their glasses emoji165.png, so all you focus on is the big reflective squares on the lenses.

I think I'm going to like this dark mode. I expect it might extend battery life as well...

My problem with "night mode" is the overall brightness is reduced.  I need all the contrast I can get.  Some using a tan or sepia background like it but again I lose contrast.  I pretty much need the whit on black at a fairly bright contrast.  I can live with pictures being negative but highlighting is rendered next to useless in many cases.  Still looking for a solution.

3 hours ago, jwhess said:

I use a "dark theme" of a sorts.  Android (since Lollipop, I think) has an "invert colors" feature.  But Android does not have the "smart" feature of Ipad.  Android invert the pictures to a negative type display.  Ipad leaves them in normal color.

When I try to use the smart feature on iPad, it makes the videos/photos funky. How do you get it to leave them normal?

"For God is the one who for the sake of his good pleasure energizes you, giving you both the desire and the power to act." Phil 2:13

Just now, Buttrfly71 said:

When I try to use the smart feature on iPad, it makes the videos/photos funky. How do you get it to leave them normal?

When Apple went to IOS version 11 (I think) it fixed the picture problem with a "smart invert" program.  I didn't change anything, they just provided it.  It is under  <Acessibility> then <Display Properties> then you have a choice between "Smat Invert" and "Classic Invert".

If you don't have a choice, then the model of Ipad you are using is not able to do that, I guess.

2 minutes ago, jwhess said:

When Apple went to IOS version 11 (I think) it fixed the picture problem with a "smart invert" program.  I didn't change anything, they just provided it.  It is under  <Acessibility> then <Display Properties> then you have a choice between "Smat Invert" and "Classic Invert".

If you don't have a choice, then the model of Ipad you are using is not able to do that, I guess.

I have it, but I must have something else set so it doesn’t work. Time to dig!

"For God is the one who for the sake of his good pleasure energizes you, giving you both the desire and the power to act." Phil 2:13

11 minutes ago, Buttrfly71 said:

I have it, but I must have something else set so it doesn’t work. Time to dig!

I set mine to react to the "accessibility shortcut".  I have set it so when my home button is pressed 3 times quickly, it inverts the screen.  Press it 3 times again and it goes back to normal.  I use this same "shortcut" on my Android devices as well.  The Android phone lets me press 3 times, but then it asks me if I want to continue.  I have to stop and say yes.  When i end the selection by pressing 3 times again it just goes back to normal without any conversation.

1 minute ago, Dages said:

I'd rather have the brother create a native Dark theme, but we probably don't have the time for this. :D 

A dark theme for JWL will be very useful while we are under ban and holding meetings in the dark. 😁

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 2 weeks later...

I have installed the IpadOS 13.3 yesterday.  It has several features that I look forward to trying (USB accessibility for file transfer from flash drive).

Tonight in the meeting, I found out that the "dark mode" in version 13.3 doesn't really work in the JW Library.  So I returned to my "invert colors" from the Ipad accessibility menu and discovered that the Inverted colors are  messed up (interference by "dark mode" I presume?).  Anyway, I can't use it.  I think somehow the color of the lettering gets set as the same as the background.  In the Bible all I get is chapter and verse numbers (no words).

IO hope there is a fix or patch for this soon...😟

I still hope for a fix to the "smart" invert feature, but I played around with the settings and got it to work with the old "classic" invert scheme.

It makes the pictures look like negatives and I had to change the wallpaper background to a neutral gray so the color is not so drastic when I invert it (I had a dark green wallpaper that looked like bright fuscia or pink when inverted).

I feel better about my tablet use in the meetings.  Maybe they can get the "smart" version to work in a reasonable time.

9 hours ago, jwhess said:

I still hope for a fix to the "smart" invert feature, but I played around with the settings and got it to work with the old "classic" invert scheme.

It makes the pictures look like negatives and I had to change the wallpaper background to a neutral gray so the color is not so drastic when I invert it (I had a dark green wallpaper that looked like bright fuscia or pink when inverted).

I feel better about my tablet use in the meetings.  Maybe they can get the "smart" version to work in a reasonable time.

Does this fix have to come from JW app or from iOS?

On 9/27/2019 at 9:19 AM, Buttrfly71 said:

Does this fix have to come from JW app or from iOS?

On 9/27/2019 at 6:56 PM, jwhess said:

IOS from apple (IpadOS 13.1)

Sr. Jennifer, I have to say that I made a mistake in my previous answer.  I have updated IpadOS 13.0 to 13.1 to 13.1.1 to 13.1.2 now today.

All of these versions allow the use of "smart invert".  In all of my other apps it seems to work normally.  But in the JW Library app it is unusable.  I have discovered that our Library app seems to turn all of the text into the same color as the inverted background (so it looks like it is erased).  If you highlight a section of text in the normal mode, it shows up in the inverted mode as highlighted text, just reversed colors.

So the solution or "fix" must come from our organization at some time in the future.  I will continue to use the "classic invert" feature until then.