JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Has anybody read the book called A Column of Fire

Buddy

No, never heard of it.   However, please remember accuracy is relative.   Other than the Bible, all books are fallible.   Even if written by holy (relative) men such as some of the ante-Nicene fathers.

Therefore, with the exception of our website which is very accurate, you would really have to check out each point for accuracy.

However, your question is more specific - I will have to research to give a more specific response - hopefully someone else will beat me to it!

Young Ned Willard is coming home to Kingsbridge at Christmas as A Column of Fire opens. The year 1558 will turn Ned’s life upside-down and change Europe for ever.

The ancient stones of Kingsbridge Cathedral look down on a city torn by religious hatred. High principles clash bloodily with friendship, loyalty and love. Ned finds himself on the opposite side from the girl he longs to marry, Margery Fitzgerald.

When Elizabeth Tudor becomes queen, all Europe turns against England. The shrewd, determined young monarch sets up the country’s first secret service, to give her early warning of assassination plots, rebellions and invasion plans.

Waiting in Paris is the alluring, headstrong Mary Queen of Scots, part of a brutally ambitious French family. Proclaimed the rightful ruler of England, she has her own supporters scheming to get rid of Elizabeth.

Ned Willard hunts the slippery, enigmatic Jean Langlais, not knowing that the false name hides a childhood classmate who knows him all too well.

Over a turbulent half-century, the love between Ned and Margery seems doomed, as extremism sparks violence from Edinburgh to Geneva. Elizabeth clings precariously to her throne and her principles, protected by a small, dedicated group of resourceful spies and courageous secret agents.

The real enemies, then as now, are not the rival religions. The true battle pitches those who believe in tolerance and compromise against the tyrants who would impose their ideas on everyone else—no matter what the cost.

https://www.ken-follett.com/bibliography/a_column_of_fire/

Do you mean is this fictitious work historically accurate for the events 

the writer includes?  If you are referring to historical accuracy,

someone familiar with the history of this time

period would have to read it in order to determine that.

You should just Google it for reviews.  Like I just did.:D 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Buddy - From Bing Search:

"A Column of Fire PDF is a popular Historical Fictional Novel written by Ken Follett. The is the third installment in the Kingsbridge series by British author Ken Follett. It has been nominated as awarded as the best Historic Fictional Novel in 2017. The book presents the historical conditions of Eupore in 16th century."

I think the phrase "Fictional Novel" should answer your question!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ken-follett-new-book-a-column-of-fire-excerpt/

"Ken Follett, author of bestselling books "The Pillars of the Earth" and "World Without End," is out with his latest historical novel, "A Column of Fire." Set in 16th century Kingsbridge during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I, Follett introduces a world of secret agents and spies in a time of religious conflict. "

If you are interested in the religious conflicts at that time and in that area - I would suggest our literature first - and then actual historians.

However, if you want entertainment - reading a novel is a novel idea!

BTW - There is a movie - Mary Queen of Scots.   HBO is airing it on TV - a 2018 biography/drama with Saoirse Ronan (actress) which chronicles Mary Stuart's attempt to overthrow her cousin Elizabeth 1, Queen of England.

I did not watch it because Mary ends up beheaded - I hate violence with a passion. Not to mention it is rated "R."

However, our literature Is favorable to reading up on the violence in history - much of which was due, in part, to false religions - and some of which is detailed in our literature.    For example:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101972361?q=Mary+Queen+of+Scots&p=par

Excerpt:

"Of course, one cannot say that things would have been any better had women made all the decisions. When women did rule some nations, things were really no different. Read the history about Cleopatra of Egypt, Zenobia of Palmyra, Mary I (“Bloody Mary”) of England, or Mary Queen of Scots. You will find that their rule was no improvement."

Ironically (for this thread) - ourarticle is entitled "Is There Any Truth in What They Say?"

3 hours ago, Shawnster said:

Since this sounds more like a book discussion, I'll move this to a better location. 

Do you mean to the room from Sherlock Holmes era, full of bookshelves up to the ceiling, comfy recliner chairs ..nice fireplace ? LOL

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

On 9/28/2019 at 11:27 AM, Buddy said:

This books  Authors name is Ken Follett.  My brother who is not in truth  is reading it and I’m wondering if you could give me some information on it.

And can you tell me if it  accurate or not.

Ken Follett writes fiction not true stories. They’re called “historical” novels....meaning that the setting is historical. Certain real historical persons or places may be included in the story and have a measure of truth to it but overall it’s a fictional story.  Like the movie Titanic, the setting was historical but the love story was total fiction.

I haven’t read this book or anything from him lately,   but I’ve read a few of his books years ago. I did enjoy “pillars of the earth”. That one became a movie.  He is an excellent writer although one book (can’t  remember which one)  got a little too sexually explicit,..... brief but unnecessary. Outstanding story and interesting characters.  :coffee:

Edited by Pjdriver

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

Ken Follett writes "Historical Fiction". He does very deep research for his novels. He generally takes some historical event, often times it is an event that was little known of unexplained and he "devises" a story around it. His story is totally fiction ... but many of the historical events are completely accurate.

As to Column of Fire  -  The plot includes extensive depictions of several important historical events of the late 16th and early 17th centuries. Follett in general follows known historical facts, but altering them to the extent necessary for his fictional characters to play a significant role.

He has several of these types of books - some of those based on actual events include:

• Eye of the Needle (1978) (a.k.a. Storm Island) (Edgar Award, 1979, Best Novel)
  • The Key to Rebecca (1980)
  • Night Over Water (1991)
  • Jackdaws (2001)
  • Hornet Flight (2002)

You just have to remember, his books (stories) are FICTION ... they are based on/around history.

BTW - Ken Follett is 70 years old, has published 44 books and is still an active writer. Although some of his works are "historical fiction" ... many of his works are "thrillers". He is quite a good writer and can tell a story with the right amount of "flare" for the particular story he is telling. Unfortunately, like Burt said, at times he can get graphic (like his book "Hammer of Eden") while other books are much less explicit.

Follett has had a number of novels made into films and television mini series: Eye of the Needle was made into an acclaimed film, starring Donald Sutherland.

Six novels have been made into television mini-series: The Key to Rebecca, Lie Down with Lions, On Wings of Eagles, The Third Twin, The Pillars of the Earth and World Without End. These last two have been screened in several languages in many countries. Follett also had a cameo role as the valet in The Third Twin and later as a merchant in The Pillars of the Earth.

In 2016, A Dangerous Fortune was also adapted.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~