JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Why do you use the expression: 'the friends'?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1542 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I think we all call brothers and sisters friends - here we would say 'our friends' or 'my friends' but the term 'the friends' is rarely used.

From the Platform it's always Brothers and Sisters which is where I think the cultural difference is.

The interesting thing is here too ... spelling in the WT mags - because we spell the English UK way here ... the spelling looks quite 'off' - we accept it as it's not incorrect, it's just different to how we spell and how words appear in our minds. 

That being said, the Brothers and Sisters in PNG - would find it even harder, since they speak Pigin English. Fascinating isn't it?

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Here we are two verses from our of our Kingdom songs, which reads (translated from Swedish):

“Let us gather to all our meetings.
We want to be taught what is right.
The guidance of God’s spirit, the care of the friends,
Just imagine the gifts the Father has given us.

Songs of praise give us endless joy.
The friends’ singing is encouraging, comforting.
God’s people we wish to be part of.
God’s people, with them we want to raise our voice.”

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1 hour ago, Thesauron said:

So you don’t see why a lot of people, including the Governing Body, chose to address the members of the congregation as friends? Because they’re not your friends in your opinion?

Thesauron, 

I do see it and I know very well why in the USA brothers use word "friends" including GB. I explained few times why I do not use the same way as it is used by some in USA. The thread is called: "Why do you use the expression: 'the friends'?

I explained how I see this subject from my Bible based perspective. If you want to continue :deadhorse: you are free to do so. 

I have always heard the expression "the friends" referred to as the congregation in general.  I have also heard chairmen use the term to address the group at the beginning of the meeting. 

This original song also comes to mind.  

Don't Run So Fast

You can walk, but please don’t run.

It’s hard to do when you’re having fun.

But there’s a reason we don’t race;

When you’re with the friends,

It’s not the time or place.

(CHORUS)

Don’t run so fast.

Take your time, and make things last.

Learn to love the things you do.

Just don’t run fast.

You’ve got things you have to do—

People to serve, who depend on you—

But don’t forget why you’re here.

Learn to love the friends;

Let them know you care.

Coming from the UK its not the use of the word friends that is the issue its the use of the word "the" in front of it. Sounds like a secret society rather than a term of endearment. Using Our friends or My friends sounds and reads better than The friends to my ears and eyes.

When I hear that term it grabs my attention as if someone had just used bad language in front of me. :) . No idea why. It sounds to my ears like some term the born again christians would perhaps use to refer to each other.

Yes I have known a few over the years as close real world friends in the past but I have no recollection if they did use that as a term. Its just what it reminds me off.

I know that may sound weird to you folks over there as it just doesn't have any negative connotation at all from your side of the water and I'm pretty sure the above is just my way of thinking.

It obviously does not have that affect in the US and therefore its fine to use. :)

Here in Norway I hear the expression "the friends" fairly often. I don't use it myself, although I might refer to brothers and sisters as friends when I am speaking with unbelievers.

@Guri's take on it is interesting and I share the sentiment (if I have understood correctly). To me, it generally feels more natural to refer to brothers and sisters I don't personally know, as brothers and sisters rather than friends.

Of course, I am still friendly (friendlily? Lol) inclined towards them, love them on the basis of being servants of Jehovah, and would like to get to know them better. If the choice was between "neutral" and "friend", I would choose the latter.

However, I do find it useful to reserve a word for people I know personally. This does not imply a lack of warm feelings towards the rest of the brotherhood. I get the feeling that this is what Guri means too, but that he is being misunderstood. Apologies if I am mistaken.

That said, the very act of referring to all witnesses as friends can quite possibly increase our appreciation of them. It reduces the distance, in a way. Now that I think about it, it is starting to make more sense to me.

Whichever words you choose to use, may your love for Jehovah and his people be strong. 💟

12 minutes ago, Norbro said:

@Guri's take on it is interesting and I share the sentiment (if I have understood correctly). To me, it generally feels more natural to refer to brothers and sisters I don't personally know, as brothers and sisters rather than friends

That was the point I tried to make in my comments. 

I someone were to say to me, "this is my friend (insert name)", I would not assume they meant they were a JW anymore than I would if they said, "this is my brother (insert name)" - after all, saying friend could indicate being a JW or an acquaintance the same as saying brother could indicate being a JW or a family member.

19 hours ago, Mykyl said:

Coming from the UK its not the use of the word friends that is the issue its the use of the word "the" in front of it. Sounds like a secret society rather than a term of endearment

I guess the same could be said of saying "the brothers" ...

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

On 11/11/2019 at 7:00 PM, Stormswift said:

Is the term 'friends' though or the term 'the friends' ? ... slight difference ... maybe? 

More like a grammar difference.  At least the way it sounds.  

The word "the" is interesting.  For example, at least hear in the United States we would say "I saw that on television" but typically would not say "I saw that on the television."  In contrast, we would typically say "I heard that on the radio" but would never say "I heard that on radio."

So friends/the friends might be the same principle.  

3 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

More like a grammar difference.  At least the way it sounds.  

The word "the" is interesting.  For example, at least hear in the United States we would say "I saw that on television" but typically would not say "I saw that on the television."  In contrast, we would typically say "I heard that on the radio" but would never say "I heard that on radio."

So friends/the friends might be the same principle.  

Yup you are correct, but the question of the thread is using the term 'The Friends' but yes the sentiments are the same.

Here in NZ, there is a culture of saying - Let's go ON the car ... which doesn't literally mean on the car, so there's a huge difference in cultural phrasology . But when it comes to speaking the pure language within Jehovah's organization - it takes a bit of getting used to to some phrases that seem foreign to us - like saying 'The Friends' here on jwtalk has become quite normal to me - but if it was said from the platform - I'd think it was quite unusual - not wrong - just unusual that's all.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

1 hour ago, Luigi62 said:

Is this correct. when brothers and sisters “the friends” their referring to a group. But when they do say brother or sister their referring to an individual. 

This one stumped the English Teacher who is now wondering when, or if, one would ever correctly use "the friend."

Y(definitely loves indefinite articles)S

It would be more likely someone would say, "One of the friends" or "a brother/sister" when referring to a single individual JW ... unless they simply used the person's name.

13 hours ago, kejedo said:

This one stumped the English Teacher who is now wondering when, or if, one would ever correctly use "the friend."

English isn't my first language, so this is a tricky one 😉. If I should say: "the friend who helped me....." That is a correct use of "the friend", isn't? 😊

20 minutes ago, ijsvogel said:

If I should say: "the friend who helped me....."

Yes, that would be an acceptable use of the term "the friend" ...

We want all the brothers to attend this meeting...

All the sisters were invited to the party...

Those are also correct uses of "the" in regards our brothers and sisters.

So, collectively we can say "the brothers and sisters" or we can say "the friends."  Both are grammatically correct and mean the same thing.  One is just shorter.

I like that the term has been used both in the Bible and in our publications

*** yb12 pp. 232-233 Rwanda ***
We took some time to encourage the friends but finally had to return to Nairobi, disappointed that the brothers had not been able to enjoy the convention program. 

*** yb10 p. 136 Albania ***
The friends were thrilled beyond expression at hearing Judge Rutherford’s voice.

(3 John 14) The friends send you their greetings. Give my greetings to the friends by name.

Edited by Shawnster

…" But the friend of the bridegroom, when he stands and hears him, has a great deal of joy on account of the voice of the bridegroom. So my joy has been made complete."

Found the answer to my Off-topic question. 

Y(can't tell the river from the tributary)S

The Friends has only made it into public broadcast and video parlance in the last year or so.

Our WT conductor uses it every week but he is a diehard USA fan. He uses terms like trash, sidewalk and prog-ress (instead of the English Pro-gress) because he loves Americana.

The same with the term 'Need Greater'.

It has only surfaced officially in the last 18 months or so, in print and on video.

It is a bad use of tangled grammer, but it is now in the Watchtower lexicon and terminology.

I can only imagine the term 'Needgreater' was coined at the end of someone writing poetry on a Witness bus trip?

They had a second last line that rhymed with 'ater'.

😁

The Best Life Ever Is Here, and the Very Best Life Ever Is Coming Very Soon.

12 hours ago, Shawnster said:

We want all the brothers to attend this meeting...

All the sisters were invited to the party...

Those are also correct uses of "the" in regards our brothers and sisters.

So, collectively we can say "the brothers and sisters" or we can say "the friends."  Both are grammatically correct and mean the same thing.  One is just shorter.

I like that the term has been used both in the Bible and in our publications

*** yb12 pp. 232-233 Rwanda ***
We took some time to encourage the friends but finally had to return to Nairobi, disappointed that the brothers had not been able to enjoy the convention program. 

*** yb10 p. 136 Albania ***
The friends were thrilled beyond expression at hearing Judge Rutherford’s voice.

(3 John 14) The friends send you their greetings. Give my greetings to the friends by name.

Nice research. All terms are very positive, loving and close.

Love never Fails.

On 11/14/2019 at 7:06 AM, Stormswift said:

I think we all call brothers and sisters friends - here we would say 'our friends' or 'my friends' but the term 'the friends' is rarely used.

From the Platform it's always Brothers and Sisters which is where I think the cultural difference is.

The interesting thing is here too ... spelling in the WT mags - because we spell the English UK way here ... the spelling looks quite 'off' - we accept it as it's not incorrect, it's just different to how we spell and how words appear in our minds. 

That being said, the Brothers and Sisters in PNG - would find it even harder, since they speak Pigin English. Fascinating isn't it?

The interesting thing is:

While we still have to endure realize instead of realise... and...

color, flavor, behavior, harbor, honor, humor, labor, neighbor, rumor, splendor  (instead of -our)   the rest of the world has had a win.

The Awake and other publications are quoting the metric distance or measurement before the Imperial...

Ie, Jesus travellled 5.6km (3.5 miles).

It used to be the other way around...

Yipper.