JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Incorrect pronunciation of "Palestine" on WT CD-ROM

{Changed subject title from "Correct pronunciation of Palestine" to "Incorrect pronunciation of Palestine" since this is clearly a bug in the WT Library software. See my post below - Bob}

I recently learnt the correct pronunciation of this land in the bible (Palestine) My thoughts were that it can be pronounced as /paelesti:n/ not until i heard it pronounced on watchtower library as /peilel/

But i think many today pronounce it as /paelesti:n/ even when I watch the news sometimes it is pronounce that way. What do you friends think about it. Probably I could be enlightened 

Edited by Dismal_Bliss

Changed subject title

9 hours ago, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

Could you please let me know the WT article and paragraph number.
You have piqued my curiosity!
Once I have the paragraph, I will jump onto WOL and play it to hear how it is pronounced.
TIA

Just Older emoji3073.png

If you have WTLIB on ur computer, type in Palestine, right click on the word and listen to the audio pronunciation. Sounds weird lol 😆 

46 minutes ago, Mickey said:

If you have WTLIB on ur computer, type in Palestine, right click on the word and listen to the audio pronunciation. Sounds weird lol 😆 

Does not work on my WTLIB, Windows 10. Doesn't sound at all. :confused:

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

3 hours ago, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

The WT CD Rom (as we used to call it), does say' Pay-lel' (2 syllables).

The above mention Awake link,  does read it the way I am used to (3 syllables).

My guess would be the CD ROM has a mistake.

I doubt that. This so-called mistake have been there for years, i learnt. If it were to be a mistake, recent updates should have corrected that

11 hours ago, Old said:

Does not work on my WTLIB, Windows 10. Doesn't sound at all. :confused:

Is it the watchtower library on CD-ROM or Jw library app you have?  There are no issues with it working even on Win 10. 

11 hours ago, ijsvogel said:

I just listened to this as well. The question is why the difference. I don’t want to believe it is a mistake on the WTLB. If it is, i may begin to doubt other names pronunciation 🤪

1 hour ago, Mickey said:

I just listened to this as well. The question is why the difference. I don’t want to believe it is a mistake on the WTLB. If it is, i may begin to doubt other names pronunciation 🤪

Probably because it sounds closer to the original whereas Palestaɪn is strictly by the phonetic rules of the English language. 

Just an interesting side-note, when they call them selves "Palestinian" in arabic, it sounds like "Phillistine" (ana filastini). The word is derived from the greek "Philistia" and predates the age of King David.

Normally, it is pronounced "PA-lest-eye-n" but due to the arabic expression it is sometimes pronounced "PA-less-teeen"

I've never heard the pronunciation "PAY-lest-eye-n" before.

12 minutes ago, ChocoBro said:

The word is derived from the greek "Philistia" and predates the age of King David.

Philistine

Old Testament people of coastal Palestine who made war on the Israelites, early 14c., from Old French Philistin, from Late Latin Philistinus, from Late Greek Philistinoi (plural), from Hebrew P'lishtim, "people of P'lesheth" ("Philistia"); compare Akkad. Palastu, Egyptian Palusata; the word probably is the people's name for itself. Source

Byzantine is another one that is similar to Palestine. I have noticed that in America people prefer to pronounce it as Beeznteen or as Biznteen. I always pronounce it as Bizntʌɪn.

I suspect that brothers pronounce it as Biznteen, which should be closer to the Greek pronunciation. Palesteen is also closer to Greek pronunciation. 

Edited by Bek

so with all pronunciations given, which do i go for...If i am to go for accuracy, i’ll choose the pronunciation given on the WTLB CD ROM

If you want accuracy, you will go with the latest recording of the word. You’ll find it here:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/gallery/r1/lp-e/nwtsty/42/441#chapter=2

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Anyone here remember when we were to pronounce Septuagint the right way?  Sept u gent, not Sep tu a gent. Likewise Phillistines, Philisteens not PhilistInes  and not the least was God's name Jehovah, as Ja-hovah not Gee-hovah. If you were in the TMS during the fifties it was very important to pronounce words as directed.

Today we even hear the GB pronounce Jehovah as Geehovah on occasion.

It was a struggle to get past being saved by pronunciation.  :D

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Anyone here remember when we were to pronounce Septuagint the right way?  Sept u gent, not Sep tu a gent. Likewise Phillistines, Philisteens not PhilistInes  and not the least was God's name Jehovah, as Ja-hovah not Gee-hovah. If you were in the TMS during the fifties it was very important to pronounce words as directed.
Today we even hear the GB pronounce Jehovah as Geehovah on occasion.
It was a struggle to get past being saved by pronunciation.  

We do aim at correct pronunciation so that the listener can focus on the matter at hand instead of our clumsy way of saying it.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1 hour ago, Thesauron said:

If you want accuracy, you will go with the latest recording of the word. You’ll find it here:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/gallery/r1/lp-e/nwtsty/42/441#chapter=2

At first, I could not find the audio files and thought that there was some mistake. Then it dawned on me that there is a little play button in the top right-hand corner. :)

The reader has a UK accent and in UK English, it is pronounced as Palestʌɪn. So it goes to show that there is no "accurate" pronunciation, but only a regional or cultural preference. If a brother is an American, he will say it the American way. In fact, many things in our publications are done the American way, and it does not mean that they are "accurate" or "correct". 

Edited by Bek

At first, I could not find the audio files and thought that there was some mistake. Then it dawned on me that there is a little play button in the top right-hand corner.

The reader has a UK accent and in UK English, it is pronounced as Palestʌɪn. So it goes to show that there is no "accurate" pronunciation, but only a regional or cultural preference. If a brother is an American, he will say it the American way. In fact, many things in our publications are done the American way, and it does not mean that they are "accurate" or "correct". 

You misunderstand. Every language has it’s own common way of pronouncing things. Have you ever sat in one of our studios while recording of one of articles is going on? A very careful brother or sister has as their assignment to make sure that pronunciation is correct.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1 hour ago, Thesauron said:

You misunderstand. Every language has it’s own common way of pronouncing things. Have you ever sat in one of our studios while recording of one of articles is going on? A very careful brother or sister has as their assignment to make sure that pronunciation is correct.

The point is there is no correct pronunciation. Both Palestʌɪn and Palesteen are acceptable. The dictionaries record both pronunciations. 

Now I see that brothers use Palestʌɪn, those with UK and US accents.  

https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/g201412/watching-the-world/ 

Over here in UK I know many Iranian men called Darius from Iran and they pronounced it Daree-us or Darry-us, yet I often hear it pronounced in our readings like Der-eye-us, but I do it how I, for years heard our Persian/Iranian Doctor call his son: Daree- us.