JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Writing to our Worldwide Brothers in Prison

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1439 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Have you ever written letters of encouragement to our dear Brothers / Sisters imprisoned for their faith?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever written letters of encouragement to our dear Brothers / Sisters imprisoned for their faith?

• yes
    • no
    • no but I would like to

On 2/10/2020 at 5:30 PM, Victoria said:

How do you know that somebody writes to the countries other than Russia?

Unfortunately I have no idea how to do it either. But we can start writing to brothers and sisters in jail in Russia right now.  Proverbs 3:27

guess I just figured they did. maybe I heard it somewhere.

1 hour ago, JudyO said:

May I ask: how do you find addresses for those who have lost loved ones to a tragedy? I would love to write encouraging letters, but getting addresses is a real challenge.

I have looked up online in area, obituary notices and then look up addresses of relatives listed. 

Peace...... Love...... &....... Paradise...... :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

8 hours ago, JudyO said:

May I ask: how do you find addresses for those who have lost loved ones to a tragedy? I would love to write encouraging letters, but getting addresses is a real challenge.

Just generally I do internet research on people that show up in documentaries or similar and then often you find information about them.

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2020 at 10:15 PM, Bek said:

I will ask around about the ones in my region, and see if we can write to them. I hope Tajikistan and Turkmenistan allow this kind of correspondence with outsiders

An update: 

Writing letters to brothers in Turkmen prisons is possible, but you will need to address them to someone you know inside the country. He will then take them to the brothers in prison, and hand them in person. Otherwise, sending letters through the postal system directly to prisons is very unreliable. 

Tajikistan is off limits. Brothers there are under a nationwide ban. Letters will not reach the intended recipients. 

This is what I have learnt from Central Asian brothers. 

On 2/24/2020 at 5:17 PM, normaclutter said:

guess I just figured they did. maybe I heard it somewhere.

I have looked up online in area, obituary notices and then look up addresses of relatives listed. 

They recently made an announcement in our congregation from the Branch that we are no longer to write strangers we find through obituaries. Apparently their were complaints.

1 minute ago, M.J. said:

They recently made an announcement in our congregation from the Branch that we are no longer to write strangers we find through obituaries. Apparently their were complaints.

I think that announcement was about posting on online obituaries where friends and family are able to leave personal memories...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 minutes ago, Bro Richard said:

I think that announcement was about posting on online obituaries where friends and family are able to leave personal memories...

Yes, I am responding to normaclutter who said "I have looked up online in area, obituary notices and then look up addresses of relatives listed."

Even if writing them through mail, I believe the gist of the letter is that strangers don't want to be contacted about their dead loved ones. At least that's what I understood. I could be wrong. Does anyone have the exact wording of the letter?

Edited by M.J.

clarification

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)