JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Scientists use stem cells from frogs to build first living robots

Scientists use stem cells from frogs to build first living robots

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jan/13/scientists-use-stem-cells-from-frogs-to-build-first-living-robots (The Guardian)

Researchers in the US have created the first living machines by assembling cells from African clawed frogs into tiny robots that move around under their own steam.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I sometimes wonder how Jehovah feels about horizontal gene transfer and these Frankenstein creations. I mean obviously, the Bible is silent about this due to the fact that vertical gene transfer is something completely natural and the idea of learning about it and exploiting it to our benefit (breeding) is even mentioned in the account of Jacob, and HGT was unthinkable to the Israelites.

But considering he was very unhappy about the angels mingling with humans and hates every form of sexual deviancy, I can imagine he frowns upon this stuff, too. I can't imagine we will be doing it in the New World.

Leapin' Lizzards! I mean leapin' robots! What will they think of next!! I don't want to know...

Imagine what our perfect minds and imaginations will accomplish in paradise. Perhaps you will create your own little biological robot to do your chores?

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

57 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Imagine what our perfect minds and imaginations will accomplish in paradise. Perhaps you will create your own little biological robot to do your chores?

I often contemplate on this ...possibilities are ENDLESS

So looking forward to Paradise ...want to go home!

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

16 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Researchers in the US have created the first living machines by assembling cells from African clawed frogs into tiny robots that move around under their own steam.

That is such fake news.  

Everyone knows that those tiny hopping living robots came about by random chance and natural selection.  :D 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

12 hours ago, Thesauron said:

What scriptural principles are at play here?

To me, the fact that Jehovah created things "according to their kinds" and saw that "it was good" is sufficient for me.

9 hours ago, Thesauron said:

I refrain from this technophile mindset because, having spent a lot of time dealing with the subject of "futurology", I have noticed a link between man-made aspirations to dominate everything within the scientific context around us and Satan's promise to "become like God". A form of evolution to the level of the divine, you could say.

Certainly we will be wiser, smarter and physically more capable in the New World. However, this "do as thou wilt" mindset will also be done away with. Jehovah's will is what will matter first and foremost, not our personal wishes and aspirations.

Why would we need genetically modified tomatoes when we have forever to breed them and a bountiful harvest? That's right, none. There won't be any biotech, just like I'd be willing to bet we won't have a warp-drive.

9 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Perhaps you will create your own little biological robot to do your chores?

Why would I want to do this when Jehovah created me with a perfect body to do my chores myself, and monkeys to help me with them? I mean, for real. Monkeys are "little biological robots". Due to the nature of them being wild, they are unreliable, unpredictable and even dangerous. That will no longer be so important in the New World.

One of the main problems with people in this world is they can't get their heads out of the clouds, aspire to travelling to Mars while ignoring the beauty around them on this planet.

Why would I want to do this when Jehovah created me with a perfect body to do my chores myself, and monkeys to help me with them? I mean, for real. Monkeys are "little biological robots". Due to the nature of them being wild, they are unreliable, unpredictable and even dangerous. That will no longer be so important in the New World.

One of the main problems with people in this world is they can't get their heads out of the clouds, aspire to travelling to Mars while ignoring the beauty around them on this planet.

Man is quite keen to produce tools to help him with his work. These biotech robots are nothing but sophisticated tools using biological functions, right?

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

8 minutes ago, ChocoBro said:

Why would we need genetically modified tomatoes when we have forever to breed them and a bountiful harvest? That's right, none. There won't be any biotech

Breeding fruit and vegetables is a way of modifying them genetically. Wouldn’t it be fascinating if you could learn how to study the DNA, and even how to experiment with it?

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

15 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Breeding fruit and vegetables is a way of modifying them genetically. Wouldn’t it be fascinating if you could learn how to study the DNA, and even how to experiment with it?

To me, taking the DNA from a spider to create silk and planting it into a goat's embryo is like taking a spider and forcing it to copulate a goat until they create a demonic spawn goat that gives off silk instead of milk. It reminds me of the Nephilim. And it is telling Jehovah in his face that his creation is useless and we WANT better stuff, and fast. So no, I think it's mad science and I'm sure Jehovah hates it and is disgusted by it. And please, don't compare horizontal gene transfer to vertical gene transfer. It's just another strawman argument technophiles love to use. VGT is completely a natural biological process that we can exploit... the long-term effects have been observable for thousands of years. HGT does NOT occur in nature and we know nothing about its implications. It's like comparing a campfire to a nuclear power plant.

16 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Man is quite keen to produce tools to help him with his work. These biotech robots are nothing but sophisticated tools using biological functions, right?

There's a difference between using inanimate matter to create tools as opposed to messing around with animate matter to create chimeras. Since Jehovah values the sanctity of blood, I doubt he is totally cool with playing around with DNA.

Oh, and I thought of another scripture this reminds me of

“Look! They are one people with one language,+ and this is what they have started to do. Now there is nothing that they may have in mind to do that will be impossible for them.

Just because we "can" doesn't mean we should.

And you avoided my argument that Jehovah DID create perfectly capable biological robots to aid us. And yet, you desperately want to be a god-level intellectual that, independently from his creation, makes his own stuff. I argue that's a humanist, no, a trans-humanist mindset that wants to put Jehovah out of the equation. Take his stuff, make "better" stuff out of it, and then boast about the wondrous achievements of mankind. I wholeheartedly disagree with that.

And if Adam and Eve, two perfect human beings, were so smart why did they fall for a cheap trick by a talking snake.

Let's all stop thinking we're going to be space-travelling, life-creating, Einstein-level-intelligent godlike beings transcending into space just because we're no longer going to be iimperfect in the New World.

I am 99.9% sure that "technology" is a humanist trap that Satan exploits now and will probably use at the end of the thousand years to create the illusion of a possibility of being independent from Jehovah.

14 minutes ago, ChocoBro said:

And you avoided my argument that Jehovah DID create perfectly capable biological robots to aid us. And yet, you desperately want to be a god-level intellectual that, independently from his creation, makes his own stuff. I argue that's a humanist, no, a trans-humanist mindset that wants to put Jehovah out of the equation. Take his stuff, make "better" stuff out of it, and then boast about the wondrous achievements of mankind. I wholeheartedly disagree with that.

No, I saw your argument to play around with monkeys. It works to a certain degree. Man has used animals to work for him for thousands of years. Of course, monkeys aren’t easily domesticated, like many breeds of,  for example, horses are. Man has created breeds of various animals more or less successfully to perform certain tasks.

Let's all stop thinking we're going to be space-travelling, life-creating, Einstein-level-intelligent godlike beings transcending into space just because we're no longer going to be iimperfect in the New World.

Why? Our god given human intellect is a marvellous thing, and should be used to the greatest extent. If it allows us to study the deepest oceans and the furthest planets, why not?

HGT does NOT occur in nature and we know nothing about its implications

Should we study it to know more about it?

And it is telling Jehovah in his face that his creation is useless and we WANT better stuff, and fast

To me, it’s just curiosity about what can be done, and how far we can go with out inventions.

demonic spawn goat

Demonic? No demons are involved, or will be.

Edited by Thesauron

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

7 hours ago, Thesauron said:

No, I saw your argument to play around with monkeys. It works to a certain degree. Man has used animals to work for him for thousands of years. Of course, monkeys aren’t easily domesticated, like many breeds of,  for example, horses are. Man has created breeds of various animals more or less successfully to perform certain tasks.

It's weird how you can envision us all being tinkering and researching geniusses on an IQ level of 200+ in the New World, but not the fact that animals will behave differently, particularly towards us. Or would you say a lion is "easily domesticated" as in the pictures that the FDS publishes?^

And the creation of "breeds" was primarily a necessity due to the wild nature, or wilder nature even of domestic animals.

Demonic? No demons are involved, or will be.

According to ancient apocryphal texts, fallen angels were involved in the development of a lot of technological developments, some as simple and everyday as make-up. Now, I highly doubt the latter is true at all. But I do not doubt for a second that some technology is inspired by demons. The Hiroshima bomb certainly was. Stem cell research done on aborted human embryo material certainly is. And I could well imagine that HGT is, too. Granted, the latter is just my gut opinion. My hope for the New World certainly does not lean on the brilliant scientific breakthroughs Jehovah is going to condone or not. I will be happy having a Rhino plowing my fiel instead of a smelly old tractor, in fact. I will be happy having monkeys handing me tools in my shed instead of a robot. I'm not saying we won't have those things. I'm just saying we won't need them. But there is an entirely different thread discussing tech level in the New World

24 minutes ago, ChocoBro said:

It's weird how you can envision us all being tinkering and researching geniusses on an IQ level of 200+ in the New World, but not the fact that animals will behave differently, particularly towards us. Or would you say a lion is "easily domesticated" as in the pictures that the FDS publishes?^

And the creation of "breeds" was primarily a necessity due to the wild nature, or wilder nature even of domestic animals.

Is it weird to you that some will have high IQ and will want to use it? I do not, however, find any scriptural evidence at all that animals will change their diets to any large extent or change their behaviour towards one another.

A lion is not easily domesticated. It will probably be true that lions and other predators will no longer be fearful of us or harm us, but they will likely not be generally domesticated or eat vegetables.

29 minutes ago, ChocoBro said:

. I will be happy having a Rhino plowing my fiel instead of a smelly old tractor, in fact. I will be happy having monkeys handing me tools in my shed instead of a robot. I'm not saying we won't have those things. I'm just saying we won't need them.

Man invents things and studies things, not always because of necessity but out of curiosity. If it has a practical use, it’s often as an afterthought. People who are driven by curiosity don’t ask “but is it useful”. Example, I want to learn how to make the best wine. Is it useful? No, not much, but fun.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I just marvel at how many people are evidently moving to various African countries, what with the sorts of animals they want at their beck and call.

If people live here in the Pacific Northwest, away from rhinos and monkeys, maybe *we* can get the chore- doing robots? 😎💪

4 hours ago, Thesauron said:

It will probably be true that lions and other predators will no longer be fearful of us or harm us, but they will likely not be generally domesticated or eat vegetables.

1616505648097d89d4faf4eeefee18a2.jpeg

Then God said: “Let us+ make man in our image, according to our likeness, and let them have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and the domestic animals and all the earth and every creeping animal that is moving on the earth.”

A fear of you and a terror of you will continue upon every living creature of the earth and upon every flying creature of the heavens, upon everything that moves on the ground and upon all the fish of the sea. They are now given into your hand

Edited by ChocoBro

Yes, well, as far as I understand, the fear that was laid upon animals will be removed. To have them in subject does not mean that they will be our servants. They will respect us.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I just marvel at how many people are evidently moving to various African countries, what with the sorts of animals they want at their beck and call.

If people live here in the Pacific Northwest, away from rhinos and monkeys, maybe *we* can get the chore- doing robots?

Yes, lions are particularly popular. Mosquitoes not so much. It is amazing that people thin’ that animals that once were native to the Middle East will roam the streets of New York.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”