JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Meeting Sound on Skype/KHConf cutting out for videos.

Hi. For starters I'm not Tech Lit. Also while this is mainly happening with Skype in the past the problem was also with KHConf.

With Skype we provide Video and Audio for the sick. There's a camera in the ceiling so they can see the TV Screen, the Platform and whoever is on it and they also hear whatever comments are coming over the sound system. Has problems but it can be beneficial.

But sometimes when  JWLibrary starts playing a Video, or just Music, those listening in will still see everything but they'll just get a second or two of the sound and then it cuts out. On other days they will get the sound just fine. Not only is it erratic, but on the times they get no sound the fact that they get the first few seconds means that something is deciding to cut it off. As an example. Last Sunday we had two people on Skype, to my surprise they heard all the Society video's, yesterday we had the Midweek meeting, two people on Skype and they would get the first couple of bars of the Songs and then it would cut out, same with the Sample Presentation. A few months ago it had started working just fine and did so from then on. But the last few weeks its started cutting out again and this is rather distressing when you're trying to ensure sick Brothers and Sisters get the Spiritual Food but it's being messed up.

I've tried Googling this issue but all the Skype info I could find was talking about when people are trying to talk to each other. Not about when we're broadcasting a meeting. I've also tried looking at the settings on Skype and the computer (Settings:Privacy) and while I've learned how to deal with problems where people weren't being allowed to get anything on Skype none of this has sorted the problem of the sound being cut off.

In our Hall we used to have Seven Congregations. Now its Four. There's a Brother in another congregation in charge of the Hall's Technical issues  (I'm rather in Awe of him) but he hasn't been any use with this problem.

Re: KHConf. Ok, due to "reasons":

Spoiler

Basically i came off the Sound counter about 12 years ago as we had a small child and I couldn't care for Magazines, Sound and support my Wife with her small child. Then I had privileges removed. When I finally got on what was now the A/V counter about 3 or 4 years ago I was lost. The Elders have tolerated my gradually taking over the counter but my Tech Lit is trailing far behind my OCD Make Sure Everything Is Right.

when I first came on the A/V counter and we were using KHConf I didn't even know what it was called. Later the account was deleted. In those days there was ZERO communication between those listening in and the one on the Counter so I never knew when things weren't working right. However I have been informed that the problem with what's being Played in the meetings not being heard by those listening in had also being happening with KHConf with one of the other congregations in our hall.

Re The Computer. It is Windows 10 to run JWLibrary, but its an older model. However, since sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't its probably not the fault of the age of the computer.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it. Agape.

Sounds like bandwidth problem. Too much asked of the internet service at the same time.

Can I ask if the camera used to broadcast the meeting uses the wifi?

Our ISP supplies a WiFi router, but it can realistically only handle 5 to 10 devices.

If others in the hall are logged on, it chokes.

We have installed a 'uni Wi-Fi' that can handle 100 devices...

17 minutes ago, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

Can I ask if the camera used to broadcast the meeting uses the wifi?

Not sure, it's nearly two in the morning here. I'll text the Tech Brother at a decent hour (I thought it was a cable but...)

18 minutes ago, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

Our ISP supplies a WiFi router, but it can realistically only handle 5 to 10 devices.

It's meant to be a strong Internet connection (this from one's who see the bill). I do know that when it works it doesn't matter how many are watching on Skype. But I wouldn't know if others in the hall have their phones using the WiFi? Would this affect the computer if it's connected to the Internet box by a Cable?

Actually. If it's a Bandwidth issue? If I connected my personal WiFi box to the Computer and told it to use it that should clear up the problem.? It's something I can try another time.

Will try to investigate this side further Tony, Thanks.

Now that the Branch is operating KHConf, things have changed a bit. It no longer is using a phone connection to access the KHConf system and Internet. Instead, it is now a direct Internet connection. The Branch has you install an "interface" that the PC sees as a "sound card". This allows sound in and out of the PC without the problems and work-arounds that used to be needed.

If the Branch's new setup for KHConf is being used - you should not have those problems as long as you have adequate bandwidth with you ISP, MODEM and Router.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

55 minutes ago, jwhess said:

Are you using Skype to get "two-way" communications?  KH Conf can handle the audio and video with one app (Branch recommended).

10 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Now that the Branch is operating KHConf, things have changed a bit. It no longer is using a phone connection to access the KHConf system and Internet. Instead, it is now a direct Internet connection....

If the Branch's new setup for KHConf is being used - you should not have those problems as long as you have adequate bandwidth with you ISP, MODEM and Router.

Ah. Problem probably about to be solved then. My understanding is that Skype was brought in because at the time KHConf was over a telephone line, only doing Audio, would sometimes lose calls without the Sound Brother knowing and was frankly awkward to use. 

We have a hall refurbishment coming up in April. As I, and some of the BOE, wanted to keep the Visual aspect I wanted to get a solution to this problem. If KHConf now can handle it all then I imagine that will be installed and hopefully we won't get this problem again. 

Otherwise after checking the Bandwidth I'll post another thread. 

Thank you @jwhess John and @Qapla John. 

18 minutes ago, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

Also might be a good idea to check your internet connection while you are experiencing the problem. I use 'Ookla' speed tester and an app called 'SamKnows'.

Ookla has an extension that plugs into the Chrome browser. 

Thanks again Tony. Bearing in mind the above prior to the April refurb I'll practice/test bandwidth etc. Its a difficult problem to diagnose due to being erratic but I've a powerful WiFi box I can plug into the Computer also and see if that makes any difference. Otherwise roll on April.

Thanks again @jwhess, @Qapla and @Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz. Its really great how fast you all were to help out. Agape. 

55 minutes ago, Hugh O'D said:

Ah. Problem probably about to be solved then. My understanding is that Skype was brought in because at the time KHConf was over a telephone line, only doing Audio, would sometimes lose calls without the Sound Brother knowing and was frankly awkward to use. 

We have a hall refurbishment coming up in April. As I, and some of the BOE, wanted to keep the Visual aspect I wanted to get a solution to this problem. If KHConf now can handle it all then I imagine that will be installed and hopefully we won't get this problem again. 

Otherwise after checking the Bandwidth I'll post another thread. 

Thank you @jwhess John and @Qapla John. 

kHConf is Internet based (both audio & Video. It is accessed through an app on the phone, tablet or computer.  There was instructions to utilize this resource (I think it was an S-147 announcement notice to the elders last year)  We switched last month and it is working fine but we don't have a camera yet.

Sorry for off-topic (:offtopic:), but you say there is a letter/announcement for the elders in the US about KHConf and its web interface? We still initiate our KHConf tie-in by calling a local phone number and entering a transmit PIN. If that's the case, I could bring it to the attention of our elders so we can modernize our tie-in. We already have a video link through khstream.net, but it is not very practical and usually lags 30-60 seconds compared to the program in real-time.

To this David said: “What have I done now? I was only asking a question!”

– 1 Samuel 17:29

7 hours ago, LoneWanderer said:

Sorry for off-topic (:offtopic:), but you say there is a letter/announcement for the elders in the US about KHConf and its web interface? We still initiate our KHConf tie-in by calling a local phone number and entering a transmit PIN. If that's the case, I could bring it to the attention of our elders so we can modernize our tie-in. We already have a video link through khstream.net, but it is not very practical and usually lags 30-60 seconds compared to the program in real-time.

An S-147 form is somewhat confidential.  Some material is posted on the information board and some is not.  I will say that the details are available for the elders in the October 2019 S-147 (for the US Branch).  Here is an excerpt.  The bold areas are in the original form. The details are about a half-page long.

"8. Congregation Conferencing Services: The branch office is taking steps to standardize the electronic services used to deliver spiritual programs to congregations and publishers. Beginning November 1, 2019, the integrated audio and video-streaming and digital telephone answering services known as KHCONF (currently used by congregations in the U.S. branch territory) will be provided directly by the branch office. This does not affect the video-streaming service that sign-language congregations currently use. Further details will be provided regarding how congregations can show their appreciation for this arrangement.
Congregations who desire conferencing services are encouraged to utilize KHCONF."

It doesn't seem like an ISP bandwidth issue to me, but potentially a local ethernet network/WiFi issue from the camera if that is the audio input. This issue sounds more like a volume cutoff/limiter for loud noises or an AI operated DRM/Copyright Protection system. I can't say that I can provide a better solution than KHConf with what I know. When it comes to bandwidth, which is all converted to digital information packets, you either get them or you don't. It's either on or off. So if your ISP bandwidth isn't wide enough to stream the video and audio in real time, all that Skype can do is lower the resolution/bitrate down to what you can stream or cut them off. But I'm fairly sure that Skype should always prioritize audio over video, and that the video should cut out before the audio does? Is Skype streaming the audio input from the webcam or from the PC? That can help narrow down if it might be the camera's microphone or the PC sound chip/card.

Okay, I did some searching and found a couple of things that I had forgotten:
Make sure that your Skype input/output levels are set to be adjusted manually so they stay constant. https://huehd.com/ufaqs/microphone-cuts-making-skype-calls/

Make sure that everyone connecting to the stream mutes their microphone. Just like with a telephone conference tie-in. https://thepodcastersstudio.com/stop-skype-from-dropping-audio-caused-by-background-and-unwanted-noise/

Edited by Myew

1 hour ago, Myew said:

It doesn't seem like an ISP bandwidth issue to me,... This issue sounds more like a volume cutoff/limiter for loud noises or an AI operated DRM/Copyright Protection system.

To be honest I never thought it was Bandwidth either. I could have lots of Internet things on and everything was fine. But I could also have (while testing) only two people watching in and the sound cut out while playing Videos. Bandwidth is the one people most suspect though. We've had the very rare occasion where the connection would die and I'd have to plug in my WiFi box ... but all the sound was working ok at that time.

1 hour ago, Myew said:

Is Skype streaming the audio input from the webcam or from the PC?

Very specifically the PC. The Camera sends its signal to the PC. The sound machine sends microphone comments to the PC. Everything for the people watching on Skype then comes from the PC. That's why I'm baffled that I can't find settings on the PC that control this or why it goes on and off

1 hour ago, Myew said:

I can't say that I can provide a better solution than KHConf with what I know.

Yeah, that's the embarrasing thing. What I said above about the Refit coming? Well its being decided that the GB still wants a Hall closer to City Centre so we're NOT gettting a Refit, just a face lift. New carpets and wallpaper seems to be the main. Now another CBOE pleaded for a new A/V counter which they didn't want to do but they finally agreed to AND ... they said we could continue to use Skype. So at the moment  have to hold until after the Refit and then as soon as I know there's still the problem its come here pleading for help again (and getting the Tech Brother to answer some people's questions directly).

1 hour ago, Myew said:

Make sure that everyone connecting to the stream mutes their microphone.

Microphone AND Camera. Some can be ... problematic but its standard practice. We've had ... incidents that in hindsight were :lol1:but at the time were 😣:wall:. I once had to start a Mid Week Student Talk by apologising for the unintended Sound Effects at the Start of the Meeting.

2 hours ago, Myew said:

Make sure that your Skype input/output levels are set to be adjusted manually so they stay constant. https://huehd.com/ufaqs/microphone-cuts-making-skype-calls/

Well Hello. This problem is usually caused by Skype overcompensating for what it believes to be loud background noise levels. Yes, I just loaded Skype on my home computer (its my personal account that we use) and Skype was set to automatically adjust sound. That's not a Box I'd have considered touching as I'm not Tech Lit enough to adjust such matters. Ok. I've no camera so I'll double check this at the next meeting and see how things go for the next few weeks. Thank you VERY MUCH Alex for these tips. If everything works fine for the next few weeks I will be even more effusive in my thanks and appreciation.

16 hours ago, Myew said:

So of course I've just been to the Hall to try this and it didn't work either :wall:😢 But I was practicing by calling another Brother. And working on what everyone else has said we carried on down Settings on the grounds that I'd have to say all the things I'd proved it wasn't. And the Culprit was SPEAKERS!!!! When we changed the Speakers on Skype those on the other end of the Line starting hearing the Video Sounds. I didn't even believe him at first. He said something about with the Speakers being used and the various inputs Skype was getting it was saying to some of them "Well I don't need you" but ... I didn't understand a word of that.

But it was fixed by working off what everyone here has said so a very Sincere Thank You to @Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz Tony, and @Myew Alex, you were part of the Many Advisers by which we had accomplishment. (Proverbs 15:22). Oh, and this was me once I knew it was working ok :dance: