JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

New feature in JW Library?

I received an email from a sister yesterday who has an iPad. She says that in JW Library there is a new feature, but I can't see it in JW Library in Windows. Here is how she describes one example:

You can touch key words in many texts & a tiny menu comes up with “topics” , and that subject, defining or giving details about that word.

For example:

Genesis 1:1, you touch the word. “Earth” tiny menu comes up, click “topic” , click earth and voilà!  Lots of Information about size of the earth, distance from sun, rotation angle of tilt, is there to read! Incredible.
Gen1_1.thumb.jpg.c23318c24d5ae1d67a0ebfca8097db63.jpg
This tiny menu comes up with “topics”
Gen1_2.thumb.jpg.780981bee138961ea55e6c9acc662bdd.jpg

Then you click on “Topics”and this screen comes  and you click on Earth word under “topics “ in screen shot =
Gen1_3.thumb.jpg.fc9509ce0deafc8e9384ceb4e32f0a52.jpg

THEN, all this information comes up!  [and it does this with many key words in the Bible
Gen1_4.jpg.9e567187db3b6bbd5105cba2816d157a.jpg
She gives other examples too, like Genesis 6:4 and touch the word "Nephilim," or 2 Corinthians 13:12 and touch "Kiss."

Also, she says that:

Research Guide shown in margin for every 2-3 verses of Bible:
If you are using the new NWT Bible, almost every verse or two or three in the whole Bible, has information explaining it in the Research Guide on the right side of the bible verse.

...and she gives examples from Genesis, even though the Study Edition of the NWT doesn't include Genesis yet.

Can you see that in, for example, JW Library for Android? Or, is this something I am completely misunderstanding?

34 minutes ago, Sheep said:

I received an email from a sister yesterday who has an iPad. She says that in JW Library there is a new feature, but I can't see it in JW Library in Windows. Here is how she describes one example:

She gives other examples too, like Genesis 6:4 and touch the word "Nephilim," or 2 Corinthians 13:12 and touch "Kiss."

Also, she says that:

...and she gives examples from Genesis, even though the Study Edition of the NWT doesn't include Genesis yet.

Can you see that in, for example, JW Library for Android? Or, is this something I am completely misunderstanding?

Br. Eric, here are some screen shots of these features in Ipad.

First hold on (touch and hold) a word in the text.

When you release it a "tool-bar" or menu appears to ask about highlighting or tags.  On the right end (may need to touch 'more' arrow) to see DEFINE and TOPICS.

choose TOPICS and the insight material appears (not every word in the Bible has a discussion).

If you choose DEFINE you get a definition but it is the stand dictionary provided for Apple devices. It is NOT a special definition from the Watchtower Society.

IO do not know if this is available from Android.

IMG_0905.JPG

IMG_0904.JPG

IMG_0908.JPG

IMG_0909.JPG

4 minutes ago, jwhess said:

Br. Eric, here are some screen shots of these features in Ipad.

First hold on (touch and hold) a word in the text.

When you release it a "tool-bar" or menu appears to ask about highlighting or tags.  On the right end (may need to touch 'more' arrow) to see DEFINE and TOPICS.

choose TOPICS and the insight material appears (not every word in the Bible has a discussion).

If you choose DEFINE you get a definition but it is the stand dictionary provided for Apple devices. It is NOT a special definition from the Watchtower Society.

IO do not know if this is available from Android.

IMG_0905.JPG

I don't have the same thing in the Windows version. Here's what I get:

Eph5_1.jpg.5b18db40ed671f8f15098764f292728e.jpg

Clicking on the "diamond" icon only shows the cross references, or in a book in the Study Edition it will show notes about the verse.

1 minute ago, Bro Richard said:

Is this just an iPad OS feature and isn't related to the JWL app?

That's what I'm trying to find out. But it looks like something only in the JW Library iOS version. I just spoke to a friend on the phone who has an Android tablet. He doesn't have that feature either.

I don’t have the topic/define features on Android or Windows....but if you have the Research Guide downloaded it is available for all the Bible books. If it doesn’t show up in the gems pane delete the guide and re-download it. It show be there.

10 hours ago, Bro Richard said:

Is this just an iPad OS feature and isn't related to the JWL app?

I can see the dictionary feature being produced by Apple (it is their downloaded dictionary) but I am not sure how they could identify the word selected from our Bible  and then promote that word from our Insight books.

11 hours ago, Sheep said:

Hi Eric, 

Yes I have the 2 functions of "Define" and "Topics" when I press down on any word on my iphone or ipad.

The "Define" function is an Apple/IOS feature as this appears in other apps not JWLibrary. 

But the "Topics" function is specifically for JWL which takes you to either the "Insight Books" for more explanation or the "Research Guide" to find an article on the word/topic. But this function has been on Apple/IOS for a while, many months or even longer. So maybe this "new" feature was just new to the sister or she thought this was a brand new feature.

But this "Topics" feature is very helpful! (tu) 

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

13 hours ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

Hi Eric, 

Yes I have the 2 functions of "Define" and "Topics" when I press down on any word on my iphone or ipad.

The "Define" function is an Apple/IOS feature as this appears in other apps not JWLibrary. 

But the "Topics" function is specifically for JWL which takes you to either the "Insight Books" for more explanation or the "Research Guide" to find an article on the word/topic. But this function has been on Apple/IOS for a while, many months or even longer. So maybe this "new" feature was just new to the sister or she thought this was a brand new feature.

But this "Topics" feature is very helpful! (tu) 

Thanks for the info. I can see by other posts here that Insight or some other publications are available under Topics. But the sister who told me about this has information that doesn't appear to come from our publications. For example, I quoted this in the OP:

5 hours ago, Sheep said:

Thanks for the info. I can see by other posts here that Insight or some other publications are available under Topics. But the sister who told me about this has information that doesn't appear to come from our publications. For example, I quoted this in the OP:

Hi Eric,

Yes, the image you are showing of what the sister had displayed on her phone is "Earth" in the Insight Books, not some other source or dictionary. So when the sister pressed down on the word Earth in JW Library 1 of the options was "Topics". When she pressed on the option "Topics" then she was given several options for research:

"Earth"

"Earthly Ministry of Jesus"

"Earthquake"

When the sister then chose "Earth", the Insight books appeared with the topic "Earth" which is the image above that she sent you. (tu)

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, jwhess said:

As to the Windows version of the JW Library app. it has the "topics" menu choice now.

Here is a screen shot of my Windows PC with the word Babylon highlighted.  I chose "topics from the menu choices when highlighted.

2020-04-09.png

Hhmm. I have JW Library Windows version, but I can't see it. How do you make it do that? I've checked for updates. I followed you to where you were (Jer. 50). I tried right-clicking, and other stuff, but all I see is...

Capture.thumb.PNG.b421d4839b8266bff9c46705c0310ef4.PNG

Edited by Sheep

13 hours ago, Sheep said:

Hhmm. I have JW Library Windows version, but I can't see it. How do you make it do that? I've checked for updates. I followed you to where you were (Jer. 50). I tried right-clicking, and other stuff, but all I see is...

Capture.thumb.PNG.b421d4839b8266bff9c46705c0310ef4.PNG

Is your JW Library version number showing 11.5.153 (63687)?

Do you have the latest Reference Library publication downloaded in that same library?

To answer the "HOW" did I do it question...I just 'click and drag' to highlight the word and when I release the mouse button the bar appears as shown below.  When you open your highlight color choice, do you have all six colors (including the 2 new ones)?

2.JPG

On 4/10/2020 at 11:53 AM, jwhess said:

Is your JW Library version number showing 11.5.153 (63687)?

Do you have the latest Reference Library publication downloaded in that same library?

To answer the "HOW" did I do it question...I just 'click and drag' to highlight the word and when I release the mouse button the bar appears as shown below.  When you open your highlight color choice, do you have all six colors (including the 2 new ones)?

2.JPG

Yes, that's the version I have as of today. Maybe it wasn't up to date when I tried it, but it works now.

Up to now, it seems that "Topics" feature only worked in the iOS version.

Thank you very much.

Topics works on my Android.

If I long-press and select a word. The 'Topic' option is available.

fa0d8ceba11e9d418936e72eb8e9864e.jpg&key=6f3acac14ea1693ac4a3adbaeb27c4518a2c0f7aa0a04c1731de6b86cbbe0d8e

Old (Downunder) Tone

I am also happy to report my favourites tab is working properly again.

My Song Book is back after many, many months of vacation. 609e7fcec5a91659fdb56c91ca517a6f.jpg&key=01694be653bf68152b715d88af78a8dcacbac6ef26e816d1a51fecd9ada1ce87

Old (Downunder) Tone

3e141d83cd0657f2747f306bd2cca24e.jpg