JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom, Skype Technical Q&A here:

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

My PC updated Zoom to the 5.5.0 release but I don't see how to use the new blurred background feature yet. How do I blur the background?

Go to settings - background and filters 

Or alternatively click on the little up arrow on the start video button and select chose virtual background.

The blur option is the first one after none.

IMG_20210201_182901.jpg

Zoom

Sharing and playing a video Prerequisites 

Processor

• 4-cores or higher
  • Network Bandwidth At least 1.5Mbps uplink and downlink for full screen HD

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360051673592-Sharing-and-playing-a-video

I thought it was easier. Most of the computers here do not qualify.

Just checked this blurred background feature out and it is a very mixed bag depending on a host of things, CPU, GPU and perhaps other variables. I have a less than 1 year old Dell Inspiron -15 with an i-7 processor with Window 10-64 OS ans when selecting under video settings the background feature, there appears under virtual background the 1st entry is none, 2nd entry is Blurred and then all the other images. I believe the following support article regarding an image without a green screen could be a good guideline and shed more light on what the problem may be if you can't get to the blurred selection.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360043484511

On my Windows 7-64 OS the blurred back does not appear and I can't get it to work even though all the CPU and other requirements are met. However there is a link directing me a the above article why the virtual background image feature doesn't work. It makes sense that Zoom will not support an OS that MS no longer supports. I see no reason why to switch from Win 7 to Win 10 as I use the Windows Media Center frequently.

Moral of the story, keep plenty of different devices in your home if one doesn't work perhaps the latest and greatest will work. No blurring on the Win 7 PC doesn't break the deal as I use the laptop in front of a draped down sheet for my parts as the lighting in that room is best.

Edited by More4me2do

No effort = No bananas
More efforts = More bananas

1 hour ago, Manwithnoname said:

Go to settings - background and filters 

Or alternatively click on the little up arrow on the start video button and select chose virtual background.

The blur option is the first one after none.

IMG_20210201_182901.jpg

Thanks, however that option is not showing up on my computer. The virtual background options are there but the Blur background is not there. Thanks for showing me what it would look like 👍

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Jf800 said:

I thought it was easier. Most of the computers here do not qualify.

Well said! I just tried this out with my less than 1 year old Dell laptop and the CPU is i-7 with 4 cores and wired access up/down 100Mbps so plenty yet in the advanced screen share feature no entry for video selection, plenty of other entries. 

Not that it matters since I have the video sharing fine tuned to perfection. Media Player MPC-HT with LAV Filters no bars on the player's playback configuration. To get ready I start for each video a separate player. Select the appropriate video in the screen share. When the video plays I have modified the mouse button of the scroll wheel and when pressing down on it we are in Full Screen of the player. Seamless integration no mouse pointer just video shared in full screen. The best part as soon as it blends into black hit he Alt + S keys to stop screen sharing so no lengthy credits shaves of seconds from the meeting worth one additional comment :lol1:

No effort = No bananas

Looks like I won't be able to use the new features.  Not sure why video sharing doesn't work though.  I have a quad-core, and 10mbs upload speed.  Stick with the current share screen for videos.  Its been good enough quality.  I use JW Library with a virtual second screen, so I can share the second screen (720p) while controlling it on the main.

59 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Thanks, however that option is not showing up on my computer. The virtual background options are there but the Blur background is not there. Thanks for showing me what it would look like 👍

Br. Richard, I upgraded earlier today and I did not have the "blur" option in my virtual background choices either.  I just looked again now (several hours later) and it is there now as number two choice.  Who knows, maybe if you wat a littl while or reboot a couple of times it will show up.  Mine did but I haven't tried it.

3 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Ah, sorry about that.

I guess I did what some of the TV gameshows used to do.....

" Here's what you would have won....."

As for the in app video playback, I still find using JW library with a second screen as easy and you have the added advantage of it looking just like the screens at the hall used to, ( eg. year text on screen then into the image or video. No extra bars or bits of windows or random mice etc )

For all those who can't find the virtual background and the blur selection. In the settings for the meetings the option for virtual Background HAS to be ENABLED. I believe this is not necessarily the default setting. Couldn't understand why my Personal Zoom ID worked on the laptop but the Ministry Zoom ID didn't work, no virtual background selection, because it was disabled in the meeting settings.

I am starting to believe that Zoom like Microsoft is actually in the hardware business with every new OS or update you need new hardware. 😲

Edited by More4me2do

No effort = No bananas

3 hours ago, On the huh said:

Anyone tried the share screen with stereo sound?  What was it before, was it only mono sound?

I do it all the time as the host. I listen to content as it's played. Seems it's in stereo to me.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

We just had our circuit overseer here in Florida. Until now, we could have a profile picture show if we turned off the video, but during and since the CO visit, the faceless black head shows for everyone who turns off their video.  Is this per Branch directive? If so, we somehow were able to show a photo of ourselves or perhaps a nature photo since the beginning of Zoom meetings! Different ones were asking why their picture was missing!

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

21 minutes ago, SUNRAY said:

We just had our circuit overseer here in Florida. Until now, we could have a profile picture show if we turned off the video, but during and since the CO visit, the faceless black head shows for everyone who turns off their video.  Is this per Branch directive? If so, we somehow were able to show a photo of ourselves or perhaps a nature photo since the beginning of Zoom meetings! Different ones were asking why their picture was missing!

The Branch issued instructions in May 2020 in a document called Zoominst-E that showed how the meetings were to be set up, one of the requirements was to have the profile pictures turned off.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, SUNRAY said:

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

The Branch issued instructions in May 2020 in a document called Zoominst-E that showed how the meetings were to be set up, one of the requirements was to have the profile pictures turned off.

As Br. Richard said, we have had past instructions about turning off pictures.  We have just received updates in January with 21 pages of further reminders and instructions.

Zoom Online Videoconferencing Instructions...Jan 2021 (12 pages, including appendix)

Form S-179 Videoconferencing Systems for Meetings ....Jan 2021 (6 pages)

Form S-178 Audio/Video Guidelines....Jan 2021 (3 pages)

Hate to say this but the host for setting up the Zoom meeting must have glanced over the required and optional settings. At no time were participant profile pictures allowed they always had to be turned off.

From the 1/21 Appendix B in the instructions:

Hide participant profile pictures in a meeting - On - Required

Sometimes these settings are optional like the Chat feature. We decided to allow the chat feature but only to the Hosts. It is helpful when hosts can message the team responsible for the meeting as well as participants or anyone can pose a question to the hosts, perhaps of a technical nature.

Edited by More4me2do

No effort = No bananas

During our "open chat" time before the meeting the new "blur" feature was mentioned. Some said they didn't know about it while others said they hadn't tried it yet.

I turned mine on to show what the feature did. There were several comments - none of them positive. The general consensus was that it "messes with your eyes" and/or is more distracting.

Needless to say I did not use it during the meeting.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

...I turned mine on to show what the feature did. There were several comments - none of them positive...

I find the 'blur' feature similar to the virtual 'background'. It is not a sharp distinction. I stopped using the virtual backgrounds as parts of your body can dissapear.
It appears the same happens with the blur. I was hoping it would be more forgiving, and err on the side of the particiant, not the background.

Old (Downunder) Tone

I have not really had a problem with parts of me disappearing - but hen, I have plenty of light focused on my seat while on Zoom for the meetings. I find good lighting tends to reduce/eliminate the "Cheshire cat" effect.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Much with the success of using virtual backgrounds has to do with the power of your Processor and your Graphics Processing Unit because Zoom can use hardware acceleration. Since I give my parts in front of a draped sheet the blur feature irons out any wrinkles or folds just evens out the background. I do agree that if it blurs an interesting background it could be distracting. I believe the main reason it was introduced is to blur writings or trademark protected items. Will get an idea after Tuesday's part of how well it was received. The instructions in the S-178 form for giving Public Talks does state to have plain background in a very subdued and light color.

Edited by More4me2do

No effort = No bananas