JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom, Skype Technical Q&A here:

Zoom updated on Windows 10 to version 5.5.1 today.  Also Zoom on my Android phone updated to version 5.5.1.  My Apple Ipad and Iphone are still at version 5.4.10 as of 10pm today.

Edit: it is interesting that Zoom would not allow me to connect to the meeting tonight until I updated.  (and I had the current version 5.5.0 installed)

Edited by jwhess

Quick question here - does anyone have a recommendation for a good gooseneck microphone (USB plugin)? 

I had been using a Blue Snowball for my zoom setup, which is not reliable whatsoever.  There was this staticky weird sound drowning out my voice that would happen occasionally (one of which was unfortunately during the CO visit and I had the local needs part!:unsure:

I've been assigned a talk during the circuit pioneer meeting in March on JW Stream Studio, and the whole program will be live, not recorded!  So I really don't want to risk a huge audio fail.  I figure my safest option is to have a gooseneck 4-6 inches away from my mouth (as instructed by the branch) instead of messing with a gigantic bowling ball of a microphone that may or may not work on the day of.  And I really don't like the look of those headset/mic combos. 

Any ideas? :confused:

Since I use a headset during my Zoom Chats, I'm not sure if I can help. However, I use the mic in my camera for most of the meetings and have been told I sound "just fine". I use a Logitech webcam.

My headset is a Logitech Pro X gaming headset. One of the nice features of this headset, besides the comfort of quality over-the-ear cups, is that it incorporates "sidetone" - that means I can hear my own voice when I speak. Let me tell you, that is a real benefit.

You may not like the look of a headset/mic combo - but the results my outweigh the look.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

1 minute ago, jwhess said:

I use the Onn Microphone I bought at Walmart.  . . . .

I've seen that at Walmart as well.  Is there any echo when handling a Q & A part?  

I'm tempted to go with a lapel mic, but since they're omnidirectional, they will pick up audio coming from the speakers much more than other types of mics. . .

1 minute ago, LRJW said:

I've seen that at Walmart as well.  Is there any echo when handling a Q & A part?  

I'm tempted to go with a lapel mic, but since they're omnidirectional, they will pick up audio coming from the speakers much more than other types of mics. . .

None that have been mentioned.  The only comment I received when I switched to this unit, was that my voice sounded more "mellow" than the higher pitch it had with my gooseneck unit.

1 minute ago, LRJW said:

I've seen that at Walmart as well

That's because "Onn" is the Walmart house brand :yes:   Many of their products work very nicely.

Zoom's built in processing should take care of any echo from your speakers as long as you do not turn on "Original Sound" (it is off by default)  For only $25 it seems worth a try.

Bought a Logitech camera C922 Pro Stream and couldn't be happier. Dual mikes and excellent self focusing camera. Bonus is for the Logitech cameras there exists an app that allows you to zoom in or out plus move the frame up/down or left/right. Most excellent device. Here is the downside they are always out of stock. It took me 3 months to get 4 cameras each $100 from Logitech or Best Buy. I could have bought the in stock ones from price gougers for $300.

No effort = No bananas
More efforts = More bananas

17 minutes ago, More4me2do said:

Bought a Logitech camera C922 Pro Stream and couldn't be happier. Dual mikes and excellent self focusing camera. Bonus is for the Logitech cameras there exists an app that allows you to zoom in or out plus move the frame up/down or left/right.

I bought the 922 Pro Stream from Amazon back in September and it works great, but I didn't get any software. What app are you talking about?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

7 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I bought the 922 Pro Stream from Amazon back in September and it works great, but I didn't get any software. What app are you talking about?

So Logitech has created for their cameras the Logitech Camera Settings app. you have to download it from their site:

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-ca/articles/360049055854

No effort = No bananas
More efforts = More bananas

18 hours ago, Qapla said:

My headset is a Logitech Pro X gaming headset. One of the nice features of this headset, besides the comfort of quality over-the-ear cups, is that it incorporates "sidetone" - that means I can hear my own voice when I speak. Let me tell you, that is a real benefit.

Thank you for this information. I used this for my Logitech G935 headset.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Mine did too - although I would much rather they remove those bugs instead of fixing them ... do we really need fixed bugs in the software?

Edited by Qapla

Although the term "bug" has been used for years in electronics, the story about Grace Hopper (COBOL software inventor) is still worth a smile.  This is the Wikipedia version of the story.

"The term "bug" was used in an account by computer pioneer Grace Hopper, who publicized the cause of a malfunction in an early electromechanical computer.[10] A typical version of the story is:

In 1946, when Hopper was released from active duty, she joined the Harvard Faculty at the Computation Laboratory where she continued her work on the Mark II and Mark III. Operators traced an error in the Mark II to a moth trapped in a relay, coining the term bug. This bug was carefully removed and taped to the log book. Stemming from the first bug, today we call errors or glitches in a program a bug.[11]

Hopper did not find the bug, as she readily acknowledged. The date in the log book was September 9, 1947.[12][13][14] The operators who found it, including William "Bill" Burke, later of the Naval Weapons Laboratory, Dahlgren, Virginia,[15] were familiar with the engineering term and amusedly kept the insect with the notation "First actual case of bug being found." Hopper loved to recount the story.[16] This log book, complete with attached moth, is part of the collection of the Smithsonian National Museum of American History.[13]"

5 hours ago, On the huh said:

So what do "Resolved Issues" mean?  Does the software need to have counselling with a therapist?

No, the Software Group Overseer and his assistant were scanning the group and making shepherding calls, they.helped the software work out some bugs and defrag it's life...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D