JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom, Skype Technical Q&A here:

4 hours ago, jwhess said:

The Zoom app updated on Windows earlier and also on my android device a couple of days ago.  But My Ipad and Iphone just updated today.

It is now version 5.6.4 like my other devices.  Maybe the Mac users can tell us if it updated for them as well.

Mac user here and I just updated to the latest version as well.

Used the Zoom video share option again, this time at the MWM. I heard from a brother that the videos played were much better. They were nearly perfect on his end. So this is how I'm going to share the videos from now on. This is a good option to use if your screen share is not smooth for others.

Edited by TylerD

On 4/26/2021 at 7:58 PM, Alancj23 said:

It's only available on subscribed accounts. Or if you are appointed co-host under a paid account, then the Video option will also be available. 

I am the account holder and the one who starts the meetings and still don't see it.

On 4/26/2021 at 12:41 PM, Intercore said:

What's your processor? Zoom tells that this function needs a 4-core processor but mine (i7-5500U) has only 2 and I see that option.

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz   2.60 GHz
Installed RAM    8.00 GB (7.89 GB usable)

8 hours ago, TylerD said:

Used the Zoom video share option again, this time at the MWM. I heard from a brother that the videos played were much better. They were nearly perfect on his end. So this is how I'm going to share the videos from now on. This is a good option to use if your screen share is not smooth for others.

How do you do that? I'd like to try it.

12 hours ago, bigvince said:

Can someone help me with how a brother doing AV can share the videos to a second display if they do not have a second disply? Is that possible? I do not own a windows computer to test it out.

Can you be more specific of what you are trying to do?

and windows has nothing to do with sharing

i can share from my Mac, laptop, iPad, phone....

sometimes you need a cable ...other times an app or a device

here are some examples 

i can share the iPad to a tv with a cable

i can share the phone to a TV with chrome cast

I can share the iPhone to the tv with Apple TV 

I can screen share the Mac to the iPad with a screen share

i can share a laptop to a tv with an HDMI cable.... or 2 screens ... 1 TV and 1 computer monitor simultaneously 

if you are trying to share pictures or videos...it can be the same

if your specifically trying to use JWLibrary...there are some limitations

but ‘there are other programs we can use...some branch suggested ...

are you only talking about using Zoom during a meeting???

we also share from our devices during service meetings in the morning

and we even tested sharing a picture or PowerPoint and having the brothers image show up over the top of the picture share.....

our CO shares ⅔ of the screen with the image and keeps a small picture of himself in the lower corner...called PIP — Picture in Picture 

Edited by DarinS

Spelling

9 hours ago, DarinS said:

Can you be more specific of what you are trying to do?

and windows has nothing to do with sharing

i can share from my Mac, laptop, iPad, phone....

sometimes you need a cable ...other times an app or a device

here are some examples 

i can share the iPad to a tv with a cable

i can share the phone to a TV with chrome cast

I can share the iPhone to the tv with Apple TV 

I can screen share the Mac to the iPad with a screen share

i can share a laptop to a tv with an HDMI cable.... or 2 screens ... 1 TV and 1 computer monitor simultaneously 

if you are trying to share pictures or videos...it can be the same

if your specifically trying to use JWLibrary...there are some limitations

but ‘there are other programs we can use...some branch suggested ...

are you only talking about using Zoom during a meeting???

we also share from our devices during service meetings in the morning

and we even tested sharing a picture or PowerPoint and having the brothers image show up over the top of the picture share.....

our CO shares ⅔ of the screen with the image and keeps a small picture of himself in the lower corner...called PIP — Picture in Picture 

The issue is the clunkynes of screens haring on windows when sharing JW Library, you see the mouse going here and there, you see them making it full screen, etc whereas on my mac I share the video and have none of that. My hope was that a brother could use the second display option while not having a second display and share that. that way all the audience sees is the video playing. I have done something similar on my mac using sidecar and my ipad pro or using a secondar desktop space..

I use a second display to play the videos from JW Library, and share that screen.  But I don't actually have a physical screen connected.  With Windows, you can extend your display (Win + P) and make a "virtual" second screen.  I'm not sure if that is what you are asking.

To set up initially, I used a screen mirroring app to "see" the second screen, and dragged the screen share toolbar from that screen to my main one.  Now when I share the second screen, the toolbar always appears on the primary screen.

The other way is to use a dummy plug or "headless ghost" device that plugs into your hdmi/vga/displayport. 

2 minutes ago, On the huh said:

I use a second display to play the videos from JW Library, and share that screen.  But I don't actually have a physical screen connected.  With Windows, you can extend your display (Win + P) and make a "virtual" second screen.  I'm not sure if that is what you are asking.

To set up initially, I used a screen mirroring app to "see" the second screen, and dragged the screen share toolbar from that screen to my main one.  Now when I share the second screen, the toolbar always appears on the primary screen.

The other way is to use a dummy plug or "headless ghost" device that plugs into your hdmi/vga/displayport. 

This is exactly what I was thinking about. Thanks.

In JW library app ( on windows) if you go into settings select the play video on second screen option, and then restart the app.

- if you have physical 2 nd screen connected the media will play there.

- if you only have 1 screen then the app will open a second window that will display media just as the real second screen would. You can then capture that in zoom screen share.

Got it

yes you can fake out zoom that you have2 screens

bear with me i missed a few earlier comments

i have been using zoom for about 4 yrs now.....they were good before with regular upgrades

but now they are going crazy adding new features and beta testing ALL THE TIME

so the idea is you want to share the video and not see the mouse or header or app outline

you can run the video to a 2nd 3rd or 4th screen 

where the video plays in FULL mode

thenshare that screen - if you don’t actually have the second monitor attached....

Can you emulate MAC multiple desktops/screens....yes

Either by creating a false second screen and sharing that

or by telling zoom you have 2 screens

it will open a secondary window if it ‘loses’ the first screen

beware - these can occasionally glitch - since you are ‘fooling’ the system

I am using a physical 2nd screen ONLY for the opening song because as a co-host I always get the waiting room messages pop up over my media player (have disabled system messages). Even though friends don't have to change clothes, don't have to drive to the KH, just have to log into the meeting before it starts, they just can't seem to break the routine of being late and entering the waiting room during song and prayer or later, therefore 2nd screen needed for opening song. Just hope they will be on time when the GT starts :lol1:

I do use MPC_HT (Media Player Classic) as it has some excellent keyboard shortcuts and no mouse movement and it takes a fraction of a second to start playback and enter MPC full screen playback. Zoom does not show these fraction of a second transitions.

For the opening song I load MPC with the song then move it to the second screen hit Ctrl + Enter for full screen mode. Now I am set. When the song is announced start sharing the screen, give MPC the focus and hit the space bar to start playback. After the song has finished hit Alt + S to stop screen sharing and set up the next screen sharing session on the laptop. Works for me as it is a doddle a breeze.

No effort = No bananas
More efforts = More bananas

Hello! I discovered a way to have a virtual monitor without any application, only with a driver that is installed on the computer. I use in windows with JW Library on this monitor and do the screen capture with OBS Studio and send as virtual camera to Zoom. I made a tutorial teaching. It is in Portuguese, but seeing the video can understand. You can take the driver part and share the virtual monitor screen in Zoom.

Edited by joaochris

11 hours ago, joaochris said:

Hello! I discovered a way to have a virtual monitor without any application, only with a driver that is installed on the computer. I use in windows with JW Library on this monitor and do the screen capture with OBS Studio and send as virtual camera to Zoom. I made a tutorial teaching. It is in Portuguese, but seeing the video can understand. You can take the driver part and share the virtual monitor screen in Zoom.

Is this really needed when you can share just an app screen? When sharing just the app you are already using it as a virtual monitor...

4 hours ago, jayrtom said:

Isso é realmente necessário quando você pode compartilhar apenas a tela de um aplicativo? Ao compartilhar apenas o aplicativo, você já o está usando como monitor virtual ...

This form of the video is to give extra options to screen sharing. It serves as an alternative if someone wants to use it differently.