JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom, Skype Technical Q&A here:

Need help with a zoom problem 

very recently when ever we screen share it goes to a black screen and throws the controls onto our extended displays in the hall.

we use a windows pc

i have followed the zoom recommendation to fix this involving the nvidia graphics but it hasn’t worked can anyone help.

3 hours ago, Martin haworth said:

Need help with a zoom problem 

very recently when ever we screen share it goes to a black screen and throws the controls onto our extended displays in the hall.

we use a windows pc

i have followed the zoom recommendation to fix this involving the nvidia graphics but it hasn’t worked can anyone help.

Can you give some specifics of the setup?

It’s a typical pc with a dell monitor and two led tvs in the hall 

when I try sharing anything the screens go black on the monitors and on zoom with a green border.

and now whenever I touch zoom like to unmute it throws the days txt off the displays and I have to select it to display again.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe this has been discussed before but I'm not good at searching this site. 

Is there a way to play Audio songs in the Kingdomhall before and after the meeting without hearing the Brothers and Sisters who are talking with each other on Zoom? Without muting everyone? 

6 minutes ago, molnarj said:

Is there a way to play Audio songs in the Kingdomhall before and after the meeting without hearing the Brothers and Sisters who are talking with each other on Zoom? Without muting everyone? 

Yes just play the music in the hall while you are muted and it won’t share with everyone on zoom.

make sure you have switched your audio from zoom answering in the hall to only on zoom.

22 minutes ago, Martin haworth said:

make sure you have switched your audio from zoom answering in the hall to only on zoom.

Forgive me but how do I do that?

When someone is answering from zoom they’re unmuted and can be heard in the hall but before and after the meeting you switch your audio from the hall speakers to your computer.

the setting is where the headphone symbol next to the  microphone on your zoom controls.

at the end of the meeting only those on zoom should be able to hear each other as there audio is no longer being played over the hall speakers.

In our congregation, we have a seperate media player connected to the audio console that can play to the hall only and not the hall and on zoom. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

4 hours ago, molnarj said:

Yes. Leave the audio on Zoom. You must rejoin the audio before the meeting starts, of course.
image.png.34c1cfd6ae19bd2121d4d43a6a4c6e18.png

3 hours ago, Martin haworth said:

When someone is answering from zoom they’re unmuted and can be heard in the hall but before and after the meeting you switch your audio from the hall speakers to your computer.

the setting is where the headphone symbol next to the  microphone on your zoom controls.

at the end of the meeting only those on zoom should be able to hear each other as there audio is no longer being played over the hall speakers.

I found it. Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...

Current Release
April 15, 2024 version 6.0.0 (37205)

End of support for Windows 7 and 8 
With this release, Windows users will need to be on Windows 10 or higher. Devices still using Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 will no longer be supported and will have 5.17.10 (or any additional patches in the 5.17.X branch) as the last version available.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

On 4/2/2024 at 8:32 PM, molnarj said:

But as some have said already mentioned, they may use a different device to play the pre-meeting songs and mute the computer connection to the amplifier thus allowing those on Zoom to talk freely. Or that they may use a second device to start Zoom and control it's participants and the AV department with their computer then logs on just before the meeting and then takes over the Host's role and then mutes everyone else.

It just all depends on what your system is capable of and what equipment you have available.

For our meetings, most of those who do attend our meetings via Zoom, they usually log in only a couple of minutes before the meeting starts. However, when they do log on, the brother on the AV desk makes sure the participants are muted, or the participants can enter into one of the breakout rooms that we may have opened for them to enter (which we only use on rare events eg, funerals and such).

Generally, we have the pre-meeting music being aired over the sound sytem at the KH, and those on Zoom will see the year text screened displayed and hear the pre-meeting audio being broadcasted. When the meeting is about to start, we mute the music player (or close the app) and then display the stage camera.

As our pre and post meetings songs are played from the AV Desk computer which also handles the Zoom as well (we only use one computer for all our AV needs and Zoom), we use the Windows app "Groove" just to play randomly the audio song versions from the "Sing Out Joyfully" album. This allows us to use the volume control on the Groove app itself to be at a lower volume than that of JWL app or any other apps on the computer. This allows minimises any issues with adjusting volume levels on any software we use on the computer, with the default volume levels being preset for Groove being at 25%, JWL at 95% and VLC player @ 95%. The less the brother has to do in regards the sound volume, the easier his job will be. We only use one brother to handle all the AV and Zoom on the AV Desk, as we have limited room and brothers to have 2 operators.

However, once the meeting is over, we send all the Zoom participants to a breakout room together (we usually have about a dozen or less connections) and if they are still on Zoom when the AV brothers are packing up, we just make one of the Zoom participants the "Host" and then the AV brothers can pack up the AV Desk without bothering those on Zoom.

I think the simplest way for most AV Desk setups is to have a seperate audio device to play the pre and post meeting music, and muting the line from the AV Desk (Zoom) computer into the amplifier and muting the Kingdom Hall's audio on the Zoom app as well (otherwise the hall music may cause the audio on Zoom to be messed up).

Edited by Pabo

On 4/15/2024 at 11:06 PM, Qapla said:

image.png.09b025925bb68e2c721df0398b66d3c1.png

This is a massive update to Zoom Workplace. Layout is different with several AI components (yes I know most if not all AI features will be blocked from the branch zoom account). Zoom-Workplace-Meetings.thumb.png.5261dac996b01a2d141c6d402b88e885.png

Article below:https://news.zoom.us/zoom-unveils-ai-powered-collaboration-platform-zoom-workplace-to-reimagine-teamwork/

They changed several things and I do not like the changes. Some of the things I did that were a single click are now 2 or 3 clicks ... not an improvement.

Also, they reset some of the options to a default and now I have to locate where to reset those options

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I extremely dislike the changes.

For our purposes at the Kingdom Hall it's TOO MUCH! 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

6 hours ago, Landon1285 said:

Zoom-Workplace-Meetings.thumb.png.5261dac996b01a2d141c6d402b88e885.png

I can one major issue with the above picture, they have 10 people on Zoom, but it shows only 3 Participants. Are the 7 others just AI or have they logged off mentally during that meeting?

Edited by Pabo