JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom, Skype Technical Q&A here:

On 3/30/2023 at 10:00 AM, molnarj said:

We heard a solution this week for the distortian of the second screen.

At the beginning of the meeting start JWLibrary as usual. The yeartext is displayed at the second screen. Take your mouse to the second screen and double click it. It will minimise the yeartext and show up on the main screen. Drag it back to the second screen en dock it by taking it to the top of the screen. Let go. It will become full screen again but not maximised. If you now for instance show two persons on the second screen for a talk or display something else like the website and you drag the screen back to the main screen you will see the yeartext is displayed instantly on the second screen again. 

If you start playing a song or a video it will show up immediately on the second screen.

We just make a screenshoot of JW Library yeartext and put it as a wallpaper for 1st and second screen. The empty places set filled by black. So when Jw Library unfocused it quickly changed by the same Wallpaper, so the picture is the same.

Edited by Korotkiy

On 5/2/2023 at 5:54 AM, Korotkiy said:

We just make a screenshoot of JW Library yeartext and put it as a wallpaper for 1st and second screen. The empty places set filled by black. So when Jw Library unfocused it quickly changed by the same Wallpaper, so the picture is the same.

Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

• 2 weeks later...

Hello dears,

I have a question about a Zoom support of old Android platforms.

Can somebody confirm that currently minimum for Zoom is Android 6.0?

Today an old sister from near congregation asked me help with Zoom connection.

She told me that somehow Zoom stops connect to meetings. I look on the tablet, this is Android 5.1.1 - good enough for JWlib. But when I entered conference ID Zoom told me that

{FOR THIS CONFERENCE application needs to be updated to at minimum 5.14.2}

Hovewer this apk file is unable to open on the tablet and some sites as 4PDA.com say that Android 6.0 is required.

The question is - is this a limitation for a certain conference or a new general limitaton of Zoom?

@Korotkiy

Zoom will only be usable on their servers if the Zoom version that is being used on the device is only within 3 months of the release of the latest version (quarterly cycle).

So here are the minimum version that you could connect to Zoom.

image.thumb.png.196bce61d881a471561cc9c96df68d55.png

In January 16 2023, the last support for using Android 5 is version 5.12.9 (10320), which is still above the minimum version. But this shouldn't be an issue for her to connect to Zoom, but you may have to check what version she has and you may need to manually download  V5.12.9 from the Zoom website, as Google Play will just use the latest version. But the issue isn't really her device if she meets the minimum requirements.

The issue I can see is actually with the setup of your (the congregation's) Zoom as being the admin host, you may not have enabled the option for older versions to connect, but only those within a certain limited range which are more closer to the current version, than that of the minimum version that Zoom will allow.

{FOR THIS CONFERENCE application needs to be updated to at minimum 5.14.2}

I am not sure whether you may have access to this or not, but that is one possible way to give access to those with older devices. I think we have this option ticked "Allowed" for our congregation's Zoom, but we are using a private Pro subscription, not a Society' subscription offer which is very limiting on its options.

Otherwise sadly, the sister may have to either upgrade her device or upgrade her operation system. So not knowing what device she may have, if she is still running Lollipop (Android 5), the device is quiet a few years old (6-7 years) and may be the better option is for her to get a newer or more recent device where at least she will have many more years without having to worry about her operating system being too old, or her old device finally no longer usable.

I still have my Samsung Tab S 8.4" (2014) which has Lollipop (Android 5), but I know I can install Marshmallow (Android 6) using Samsung Kies by downloading the relative ROM from SamMobile. But as it is over 8 years old, I would have to pay for a subscription to get the older ROM from the website, but you could sign up for a month, then cancel your subscription once you have downloaded what you need. And my wife still has her Samsung Tab Pro 12" (2014) and it has Kit Kat (Android 4.4.2) running on it. But we no longer use these devices to connect to Zoom, but use our newer devices, but JWL still runs OK on them.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dove said:

I just checked my IOS and it's updated to 16.5.

The reference number was toward the Zoom app.  the Zoom app is now updated to 5.14.11...❤️

By the way, Apple IOS for Ipad and Iphone is 16.5 but it has been announced that in a little while it is going up to 17.

Kevin Hart Crying GIF by Team CocoWhy Me Crying GIF by Team Coco

Why did Zoom do this?

This is supposed to be a minor update to fix bugs and security ... they didn't "add" features - but they sure took one away !!!

The menu across the top of the app used to have "Home" and "Meetings" tab. You could leave your Meetings tab as the default and just hit a single button to launch a recurring meeting. They "improved" this with this latest update - making this simple 1-click task into a 3-click task!!!

The new home screen looks like this:

image.png.4b9fe473a71cc1144c0a6d9c4c37c953.png

If you notice, the Home tab is gone and the Meeting tab is default (highlighted) and there are no recurring meetings showing. But, there is a new panel with the time on it. Now, look at the bottom of that new panel with the time. Near the bottom there is a dropdown for Anytime Meetings. When you click on that, you get a drop that down with a list of your meetings - each with its own "three-dot" menu. When you click on that, you finally get to the "Start Meeting" command.

It looks like you can leave that Meeting List dropped down - but it still takes two clicks to start a meeting instead of one!

Whose brainy idea was this?

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~