JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom, Skype Technical Q&A here:

1 hour ago, jwhess said:

Zoom on my Windows 10 PC just updated to version 5.6.7 but I do not see any updates on my Ipad, Iphone or Android device.

The iOS release requires Apple approval and may take a few additional days to appear in the App Store. Probably the same for Android as well.

I only noticed the update last night after the meeting. I installed it before shutting down.
I hope it fixes the static noise and crackle in the music.

Old (Downunder) Tone

Minor bugs. Those are the young ones right?
No. They are the ones that work underground in the mines.

Old (Downunder) Tone

7 hours ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

I only noticed the update last night after the meeting. I installed it before shutting down.
I hope it fixes the static noise and crackle in the music.

Did the media sharing today with the latest update, songs have not improved and are as bad with the crackling as they were before. I am trying to explorer another avenue to narrow this down.

1. Are the songs as bad on a paid for version? If the problem disappears then it is with the organization's license.

2. I will remux the video and audio to a mkv container.

3. Will convert the elementary audio track from the song to AC3 and PCM

4. Resample the AAC 44.1kHz to 48kHz.

Finally if none of that works then play other songs like the original songs or the music videos plaid before the convention. If they play fine then the problem may have something to do with the songs themselves, but I do admit I have never noticed it when starting with the Zoom sessions in March 2020. I would have noticed it because I am very particular about video and audio quality and it is irritating me at present, while everybody else most like has not noticed it.

No effort = No bananas
More efforts = More bananas

CPU i7-1065G7

Resolution 720p

There are no glitches the playback is flawless with the exception of every now and then some static and crackling noise. I don't notice it when I play any videos from the same laptop from the new book on my personal Zoom license. The crackling is intermittent and only at certain spots like at the end of the verse when the sound fades to a silent portion then when the sound increases again it disappears.

No effort = No bananas

When we first started the ZOOM meetings, I ordered a camera with a microphone that stood on the desk.  Before it arrived an elder gave me a creative camera and microphone that would sit on top of the monitor.  I tried using the creative camera and mic, but the microphone sometimes didn't work.  The first time I commented at a meeting no one heard my comment and the next person said exactly what I said.  I found out later that the microphone was on one of its breaks.  I worked with the creative mic to get it to work consistently, but I sound like Mickey Mouse when it plays back.  The mic and camera on the stand has very good sound and the camera works well, but I prefer that people do not have to look up my nose when I am on camera.

Right now, I use the creative camera for video and the other microphone for sound. I would like to order a new camera and mic combo, but I am not sure of which brand.  I have a window on my right side and I usually turn on lights to even out the light on my face.  I have considered buying a camera that has a ring light, but again I am not sure which brands work well.  

I would not want to order another microphone that makes me sound like Mickey Mouse.  

Logitech is usually a safe brand of camera for Zoom ... there are several models that work fine so selecting one depend on your budget.

I have a HD Pro Webcam C920 (can stream at 1080) and a HD Webcam C615 (can stream at 720). They both work fine for Zoom and both have suitable mics.

I also have a cheap no-name 4K that streams the 4K image just fine (very clear detailed image) but the mic is not very good at all since it will not allow me to adjust the volume and stays at "full volume" that I have been told "blows the listener away".

All of these are cameras that sit on top of the monitor.

Of all of these, I use the 920 the most because it streams at 1080 and has a clear picture. However, I like the mount for the C615 the best as it allows adjustment in all directions not just up-and-down.

You have been on my Zoom chats and have seen the pictures from my camera(s) ... 

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

4 minutes ago, Qapla said:

have a HD Pro Webcam C920 (can stream at 1080

I have the Logitech C922 from Amazon and it works very well.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I wanted a C920 but at the start of the Pandemic they were sold out.  So I used a Logitech c270 and it works OK.  But I never liked the microphone built-it so I purchased an ONN 100009002 USB Mic.  It sits on my desk (low profile and picks up sound all around and is very good.  A lot less "rinny" that the built-in mic (gives my voice a nice baritone sound.

The C270 camera was supposed to mount on top of the monitor but I have my wife sitting next to me and need a little better angle (wider and higher).  So I bought a couple of 'Velcro' type fasteners and mounted it on the wall behind the monitor.  It is farther back and an inch or two higher.

I use a similar USB lavalier mic. 

lavalier.jpg

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Just so to add regarding the crackling noise after a Google search regarding this problem I found many others that complained about it also,

Here is a twist in it! The laptop I use for media playback IS NOT CONNECTED using the audio stream, so mikes and other input devices CAN'T cause the problem, I share the computer audio and optimize the video in the Zoom settings tick box. This is the baffling part.

The research came up with two possible other reasons, 1st any power saving features, but since I run the laptop plugged in and the power settings are set for Best Performance, that I believe could not be the problem.

The 2nd possible cause could be in the audio playback device settings, having ticked settings for audio enhancements. This is now unticked.

Finally this Sunday's songs I have remuxed into MKV containers the audio converted into AC3 audio and resampled to 48kHz and let's see if that makes a difference. But I have my doubts that the audio track massaging will improve it. That leaves it only with one of two other possibilities, if other music plays fine like the 10 minute preludes to conventions then it is the songs themselves or if they have the same problem then it is with Zoom.

No effort = No bananas

3 hours ago, jwhess said:

I purchased an ONN 100009002 USB Mic

I also have one of those and it is what I use for the meetings.

image.png.6f59f99ac951c49ae2bb4b0f62c8dfd6.png

I use a Logitech Pro X Gaming headset for my Zoom Chats.

2 hours ago, More4me2do said:

The research came up with two possible other reasons,

Have you tried turning "Original Sound" on/off to see if it makes any difference?

It would seem to me that, if you play your songs on your device and listen to them with your local speakers (whatever type you use) and they sound OK (co crackling) it cannot be the sound files ... if they only crackle when playing through Zoom the problem must be "network" connected - are you using LAN or WiFi?

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

10 minutes ago, TylerD said:

@More4me2do

Something else that you might try is the Zoom video share option. Share, Advanced, Video. Everyone will not have this option. There are specific computer requirements to be able to use this option.

If you do use this option, make sure to set the volume slider (bottom right) on the video to the middle.

Edited by TylerD

It's not because of audio/media itself. For example, brother in our congregation who uses Macbook, his shared audio is very clean, as original. But for some other brothers using Windows sound starts to crackle. Maybe it's because of integrated sound card of a laptop/PC or audio bitrate.

Spoiler

Capture.PNG.2cb833c18c4b2225ed91e95c6ede5768.PNG

Edited by Intercore

1 hour ago, TylerD said:

If you do use this option, make sure to set the volume slider (bottom right) on the video to the middle.

Thanks I will give that a try but it sort of defeats the purpose of using Media Player classic for the song playback. I can move the player for the opening song on to a second screen maximize it and then play back the song. This way I don't get all the pop up messages about people entering into the waiting room freezing the video for a split second.

I wish that individuals would be on time when connecting to the meeting. At our last weekend meeting during the song and prayer we had close to 30 (usually 120 connections) enter the waiting room, and yes you guessed it the usual suspects. I mean you don't have to get dressed, you don't have to drive to the Kingdom Hall, yet there is a constant lateness in joining the meeting. We would have a local needs item if 30 persons (25% of the congregation) would walk into the KH during song and prayer.

No effort = No bananas

20 hours ago, More4me2do said:

Did the media sharing today with the latest update, songs have not improved and are as bad with the crackling as they were before. I am trying to explorer another avenue to narrow this down.

1. Are the songs as bad on a paid for version? If the problem disappears then it is with the organization's license.

2. I will remux the video and audio to a mkv container.

3. Will convert the elementary audio track from the song to AC3 and PCM

4. Resample the AAC 44.1kHz to 48kHz.

Finally if none of that works then play other songs like the original songs or the music videos plaid before the convention. If they play fine then the problem may have something to do with the songs themselves, but I do admit I have never noticed it when starting with the Zoom sessions in March 2020. I would have noticed it because I am very particular about video and audio quality and it is irritating me at present, while everybody else most like has not noticed it.

We have our own paid account and have not experienced any crackling. 

Just tested out my own account with 4 persons in attendance and no crackling whatsoever. We will see what happens on Sunday.

Here is another problem that I can't seem to find a solution to. The internal video player, when you click on screen share then advance and select video appears only as an option when you are the Host. Did anyone get this to work for Co-Host?

No effort = No bananas

On 6/9/2021 at 11:45 AM, More4me2do said:

Thanks I will give that a try but it sort of defeats the purpose of using Media Player classic for the song playback. I can move the player for the opening song on to a second screen maximize it and then play back the song. This way I don't get all the pop up messages about people entering into the waiting room freezing the video for a split second.

I wish that individuals would be on time when connecting to the meeting. At our last weekend meeting during the song and prayer we had close to 30 (usually 120 connections) enter the waiting room, and yes you guessed it the usual suspects. I mean you don't have to get dressed, you don't have to drive to the Kingdom Hall, yet there is a constant lateness in joining the meeting. We would have a local needs item if 30 persons (25% of the congregation) would walk into the KH during song and prayer.

I admit I've not been completely ready some Sunday mornings.  But what I do is start the 'puter and join the meeting with camera and audio off- then finish putting my face on. 😉  That way, I'm not interrupting anything.