JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom, Skype Technical Q&A here:

2 hours ago, Qapla said:

I have played with it a little - I do not have a true "immersive" image for the KH and am not sure how to make one.

I forget already.  Does the host have to choose the immersive style or can any participant choose that format for his own screen during a meeting?

For those who are interested in the 64 bit version of the zoom client, I found this at

https://www.zoomsearchengine.com/zoom/support/faq_64bit.html

More detail

The Zoom software itself in V5 was 32bit only. But the operating systems, in general, provided full backward compatibility. So Zoom runs fine in 64bit operating systems.

From the V6 release of Zoom the indexer will now be available in both native 32bit and 64bit executables. The 32bit software is limited to using only 2GB of RAM, regardless of how much RAM was actually installed in the machine. This was a Window 32bit limitation. The native 64bit release of Zoom in V6 allows an almost unlimited amount of RAM to be used, if the RAM is physically available in the machine and you are running a 64bit O/S.

There is no functional difference between the 32bit and 64bit releases. They have an identical set of features. The only difference is in how much RAM they can use. Being able to access more RAM, means a higher potential capacity. But as the capacity of the 32bit release was around a million pages, only a few people will need to use the 64bit release. So the 64bit release will be made available as part of the Enterprise edition.

When to use the 64bit indexer

You should only need to use the 64-bit Indexer if you have 64bit hardware, a 64bit operating system and meet one of the following conditions:

1. You are indexing an enormous number of web pages or websites, and your individual index files are exceeding 2GB in size. The normal 32-bit Zoom Indexer will warn you when this happens.
  2. You are indexing an enormous number of web pages or websites, and you require more than 4GB of memory and you have more than 4GB of memory installed on your computer.

Note that there is no advantage to using the 64-bit Indexer unless one of the above criteria are met. Typically you would need to be indexing several hundred thousand pages before you would meet the conditions above. On the other hand there is no real disadvantage in using the 64bit indexer if you have it.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

On 7/4/2021 at 11:15 PM, bigvince said:

Brothers, we are starting to play music before meetings for 10 minutes, but the volume is too loud. I use a mac and have no isssue lowering output volume, but those on windows cannot, even when lowering their system osund, it does not lower for the audience. Any suggestions?

We used to play the music before with an external program. Since the external program has a volume slider, it was easy to control. Setting it to about 40% of maximum volume found me worked great. Since such external program can be anything, you could use something like VLC Player or Windows Media Player.

As far as I am aware, JW Library itself does not have inside volume slider. When I worked as a/v servant at the kingdom hall, the printed instruction from the branch specified something of the effect (from memory): “There is no volume slider built in for JW Library, so Kingdom Hall computers must use volume sliders in the computer.”

However, unfortunately, the elders in our congregation recently told us we shouldn’t play any songs before the meeting at all, for some reason. Too bad as a music lover, but I still play the music personally.

5 minutes ago, Intercore said:

If you're playing audio, you just need to expand JW Library's audio player (click on that) that it would be expanded full-screen. Then it's visible.

I see, it may have been updated since or something I misunderstood then. I still work as a/v servant even now, but my personal computer does not have JW Library installed because I have Windows 7 installed. So for me, I could not check that.

While I use external video player to play media for the time being, I make sure that year texts are displayed before media is played (to get the feeling of JW Library) and no features of the player (such as time bar and buttons) are not shown. They probably won’t know unless I say first.

I mentioned 40% worked nice, because I found out that if the volume was lower than 40%, the system would interpret the music as “background noise” and just not output any sound. And if it was louder than 40%, it would be too loud.

However, of course, it must be better for the brother to work out with what setting best works for his congregation himself.

I am using media player classic MPC because it gets a better frame rate when sharing the videos. From the JW Library app I only get around 15fps with MPC I get between 25-30fps. In addition it has easy keyboard short cuts for example to maximize the screen (ALT + Enter) to pause you hit the space bar when doing the initial call with questions by the chairman to resume hit the space bar again. Basically no mouse pointer movement on the shared screen. Also there is a volume slider and mine is set at about 30-40%. For this weeks CLM there were 3 songs and 2 videos so having 5 instances of MPC allows for quick switching of sharing content. Works flawless.

No effort = No bananas
More efforts = More bananas

I didn't realize that if I got one of these I can use the 2 other monitors that I wanted to use without the 2nd mini pc. 

Can't wait until weekend to try. 

usb 3.0 to dual hdmi adapter .jpg

blurred .jpg

Edited by AH173

update

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

7 hours ago, AH173 said:

I didn't realize that if I got one of these I can use the 2 other monitors that I wanted to use without the 2nd mini pc. 

What will you use the 2nd monitor for?

The only use I can think of is for sharing videos and images.

Or if you are not a moderator of the zoom session they you can use jwlibrary on the 2nd monitor.

Thanks for the question.

I think I'll find a use for the spare monitor. 

COBE made me his assistant- as he is primary video organizer for cong. 

3 was enough before. 1st monitor was the 49 participant view, 2nd was for chat view and raised hand view and zoom output screen (while hiding the only t timer output) . 3rd was monitor output 9f jw library and only m as needed. I had to minimize my obs video software using the 3 screen setup. Now I'll put obs on 5th portrait screen on bottom of 3rd or 1/2 of screen for quick glance. 

For 4th could use as only M output and top 1/3 or 1/2 of 5th as only t output. 

It's all conceptual thoughts for now. 

Edited by AH173

update

Installed the 64 bit client version but no change in the crackling of the sound during the song playback. Hopefully it will be addressed in the future as it is really annoying. Some songs more so then others.

No effort = No bananas
More efforts = More bananas

I use three screens:

One is for my Zoom and I "duplicate" that one for the rest of the family (we use a 65" TV for that screen) and the other one is for my JWL.

On occasion I have needed my screen for giving a part so then I put the Zoom on the TV and use my main screen for my notes and information.

My PC has two more video connections but my CPU does not have onboard video so they will not operate a monitor. I have a USB to HDMI converter - but, that also does not supply video output since the video would still have to be processed by the CPU.

I hope you have the ability to have those two extra screen on your system ... just plugging in an adapter does not ensure it will operate a screen if the CPU does not support it.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

2 hours ago, Qapla said:

I hope you have the ability to have those two extra screen on your system ... just plugging in an adapter does not ensure it will operate a screen if the CPU does not support it.

For an hourlong game night with field service group on zoom, what I planned worked out well. No problems for me.

At some point in the future I plan to get a second video card so I can add a couple more monitors. They are not necessarily for Zoom - I do use my PC for other things - but I am sure I may find that they do enhance my Zoom experience

Yes Bro William. They are all not computer monitors but TV monitors - less expensive than computer monitors. 

2 - Samsung 32" 1080p on bottom 

1 - 32" LG 1080p top left-wall mount 

1 - 32" insignia 1080p top right - wall mount 

1 - 40" insignia portrait flipped monitor on right side - (see image) modified desk mount for vertical application. 

I have installed a Nvidia video card that powers the 3 monitors and the usb 3.0 to hdmi adapter for the 2 insignia monitors 

All seems to work as planned for me. 

vertical mount .jpg

I can see some use of the "coffee cup" reaction to indicate you are not there on an open meeting for field service or the like

image.png.a3fff8a36a5e492ffadca2522e29ff93.png

Also, the use of emojis in the chat may be used by some

image.png.1a9408e37a3b46af0dee64c25f012b39.png