JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Steps to avoid Covid-19 infections

18 minutes ago, Wren said:

I hear where you're coming from, but,  people in my family didn't fare very well. My grandfather (on paternal side) died of TB leaving his twin sons aged 6. Going back a quite a few decades most of my males ancestors died in their early fifties due to heart disease. My grandmother (on maternal side) died of TB. My mother grew up in the time of polio when kids who were healthy on Friday were dead on Sunday. There are now treatments that control heart disease, treatments for TB, vaccines for Polio. If my family members lived today they could have used these treatments and their lives wouldn't have ended prematurely. I would be very unwell if not on my way out if I didn't utilise the expertise of the medical community. 

That doesn't mean I haven't had doctors that have been really awful, because I have met them too, probably more than my fair share. 

Colossians 4:14 Luke, the beloved physician, sends you his greeting, and so does De'mas. 🙂

:offtopic: Steps to avoid Corvid-90 infection

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Someone mentioned above that the news media tends to sensationalize events like this.  True they do.

However I dont think they are too far off the mark on the seriousness of this particular event. You see, I'm a "volunteer" emergency responder and this evening all local teams were informed to get our gear together for deployment. If the  feds are activating a bunch of volunteers, and are willing to send them across state lines (unheard of since 911)  to the front lines (wherever that is) because they are  short Dr's, Nurses and the like- this can't be good....

As for my preventative measures:

Staying hydrated with a bottle of gaterade then a bottle of water.  Ive found when your body needs the vitamins and minerals gaterade provdes, the beverage tastes very sweet.  When the body has all its levels topped off, the Gatorade tastes like watered down koolaide.

Frozen fruits / veggies - they flash freeze these so they'll keep their vitamins and nutrients. The canned items are good, and have a decent shelf life,  but tend to have a lot of sodium and the nutrients become diluted/nonexistent.

Pouring milk into those old ice trays we used to have. Take out what you need for the next days  use and thaw in the fridge. It not can it  stay frozen up to 6 months, it tastes a lot better on my corn flakes then coffee does (smile)

Comfort foods - if I'm stuck at home rice and beans are practical, but not satisfying.  To maintain a little normalcy and a bit of sanity I always treat myself by getting a bit of chocolate and my favorite pop tarts.  Not much natural value, but it offers some peace of mind...which is just as crucial when under stress.  And I think we're all under a little stress these days knowing this will probably go on for several more weeks,

Eucalyptus oil -  pour a few drops in a steaming bowl of water and inhale deeply. Works well breaking up congestion. But never put the pure essential oil directly on your skin...its too harsh. It needs to be thined with a carrier.  Chk with your holistic people for specifics,

Spearment gum (not peppermint) or Vernons Ginger Ale - when your tummy is upset, this settles it down. Also, when you're hungry and know it will be a while before you eat, chewing the spearmint gum will give you a feeling of fullness.

Take care,  hug your loved ones a little tighter tonight, and be safe when your out and about.

Edited by dubois

Computer misspelled a few key words

9 hours ago, lovjahupepl said:

This regiment was actually given to me a few years ago by a naturalist that says "Let food be thy medicine" for my daughter that was catching a lot of colds due to having a blood disorder.  I'm not opposed to traditional medicine but have had some bad episodes with what they prescribed so it's not my first avenue anymore.

I was also told it is good for the entire family if they want to build their immune.  It can be drank warm in winter and on ice in summer. 

NOTE: NO ONE IN MY FAMILY IS ON ANY MEDICATIONS SO WE DO NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT DRUG INTERACTIONS:

All 5 people in my household have been taking it daily.  My husband that has been doing food deliveries daily takes a cup with him in the morning and take another before bed.

-1 green tea bag (Organic)

-1/2 tsp Organic Turmeric

-1/2 tsp Organic Ginger

-1/2 tsp Organic Ceylon Cinnamon (sometimes called sweet cinnamon) 

NOTE: Not all cinnamon is the same.  Most the stuff in the store is cassia type and is a cheapy version with no health benefits.

-dash of cayenne pepper (rid you of mucus)

-1/2 tsp of vanilla (for taste)

*1/2 tsp wild desert hone or raw honey (optional we don't use any sweetener)

*she and my other daughter use a vanilla stevia to help with taste so they are not using anything that turns to sugar. 

==== as added support ====

VITAMIN "C"

We take 5g (1 tsp) daily of camu camu powder (it's a natural vitamin c).

Hubby takes (10g) daily since he is going in the public

If I feel something sinister coming on I will usually double my dosage to 10g or more.  Camu camu taste awful.  It can be put in juice, smoothies, etc. to mask it.  However since I'm on a keto diet I don't do sweeten things much so I just take it in a bit of water with a few liquid pure monkfruit drops (which is not mixed with anything else).  I try to gulp it down in 1 swallow as it's very bitter. 

Vitamin C is really powerful and can be increased based on what you are trying work on.  You have to do research on dosages. Too much could cause you to go to the bathroom.  There is plenty of information on dosages and the bathroom effect and how to deal with it.  I can't use traditional vitamin c made in the lab (asorbic acid and ester form) as they are from corn and I have developed allergies to corn.  I've saw that most corn today is gmo variety and I am beginning to believe it as my body knows if I eat things with corn.  Unfortunately today eveything has corn in  some form.  "High fructose corn syrup" is the worst.

===================================================

DISCLAIMER:  This post is just meant for informational purposes I am not prescribing anything.  Use this information at your own risk.  Anyone on traditional medications should consult their physician as herbal things and medications do not mix.  Some who choose to take herbal things and are on medication have been told to take them 3-4 hours after taking any medications.  Again, it's always wise to talk with physician if on medications first.

My brother also takes the same. He gave me some when i visited him. Told me it's great in building your immune system.

Edited by GodlyDevotion

Interesting. I use all those ingredients in my meals and drinks during the day. We also have manuka honey.

But at the moment I am adding bone broth to our meals. Apparently the gut is the brain of our immune system.

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

22 hours ago, Old said:

Actual experience with homade hand cleanser?

Yes I have made my own hand gel sanitizer using isopropyl alcohol and glycerine as an experiment. However, as I've no idea of it's actual alcohol strength beyond an guesstimated value of 50 - 60%, I won't be using during this covid-19 pandemic.

When I looked into making my own hand gel sanitizer I looked at the contents of a few different brands. All contained as the main ingredients: alcohol (isopropyl alcohol and/or ethanol) - though none gave the actually strength percentage. Plus something used as a vehicle to hold the alcohol while you rub it on your hands. Most used glycerine (glycerin) others used chemicals with similar properties.

If you Google home made hand gel sanitizer you'll find many advocating the use of vodka, but the end product may only give you about 10% alcohol. The World Health Organization and the American CDC stipulates an alcohol content of at least 60% - 70% https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/infection-control/hcp-hand-sanitizer.html

So if you are thinking of making your own hand gel sanitizer, be very sure the end product will meet WHO and CDC guidelines. Keep safe and don't create for yourself a false sense of security with sub standard hand gel.