JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My email got hacked (Warning!)

• 3 months later...

You don't need a premium AntiVirus to prevent potentially unwanted aplication  (PUA) from entering your PC.

This will only drain your money and RAM. Since many of the web browsers have built-in malware scanning feature.

it will automaticly display a warning screen when you're visiting a malicious website. And it will scan anything you've download.

It's looks like you've been victim to an Phishing attack.

ie8-smartscreen-filter.gif

Edited by tuntun

• 4 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, carlos said:

If you are using Windows 10, it includes Defender which doesn't work bad either.

I have a question about this. I have a windows PC. Not knowing about Defender, I figured I needed an antivirus or something.  I bought Kaspersky (recommended by... can't remember name... consumer review something website) and bought it. But,  my computer keeps freezing. Recently was told to try disconnecting Kaspersky, and that Defender should be enough....is this true? Defender is enough? I don't need to buy any extra mal software? 

In recent years Windows Defender program has become a major defense system.  Currently it often ranks in the top 5 free apps.  Like all programs, it has strengths and weaknesses.  But it is free, it comes with your Windows operating system, and it is integrated with Windows...so it won't be any trouble to let it run.

I have been using Windows Defender ever since I updated to Windows 10 and used Microsoft Defender even before that. I have not had any problems and it has blocked any attempts and/or pages/sites/app/files that I may have inadvertently encountered.

I do not knowingly try to d/l questionable software and avoid suspicious sites and do not open dubious email.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

2 hours ago, M.J. said:

I bought Kaspersky (recommended by... can't remember name... consumer review something website) and bought it. But,  my computer keeps freezing.

It takes awhile to upload all of your personal information to Russia, your computer will be fine after the KGB is done with it...:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

5 hours ago, M.J. said:

I have a question about this. I have a windows PC. Not knowing about Defender, I figured I needed an antivirus or something.  I bought Kaspersky (recommended by... can't remember name... consumer review something website) and bought it. But,  my computer keeps freezing. Recently was told to try disconnecting Kaspersky, and that Defender should be enough....is this true? Defender is enough? I don't need to buy any extra mal software? 

I used the Kapersky Free for years, worked fine and it kept working after my 'free' time was up. All goverment offices in the US were told to remove it due to the possibility that it may be under the influence of the Russian authorities. Since I had no nuclear secrets on my PC I kept in place until I changed my internet service to a provider that provides a free antivirus for all their customers. Now I have windows 10.

Edited by Old

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

15 hours ago, jwhess said:

In recent years Windows Defender program has become a major defense system.  Currently it often ranks in the top 5 free apps.  Like all programs, it has strengths and weaknesses.  But it is free, it comes with your Windows operating system, and it is integrated with Windows...so it won't be any trouble to let it run.

Specifically, since Defender is automatically already there,  is there any reason I should add on another malware/anti-virus?

2 hours ago, M.J. said:

Specifically, since Defender is automatically already there,  is there any reason I should add on another malware/anti-virus?

Depending on the interaction between the two programs, some people like having a second layer of protection.  If yo install Norton for instance, it will turn off Defender.

I have a lifetime license for Malwarebytes so I always install it on my systems.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2020 at 11:55 AM, M.J. said:

IMO there is no need of an additional antivirus, especially for someone who doesn't use to visit dangerous sites or downloading questionable files.