JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Is it normal to hate large crowds? Do you like a large gathering?

I feel stressed when I'm among a large crowd..like, when I'm in a convention with lots and lots of people.
I do enjoy the program and the talks but not the people. (Don't get me wrong, I love the association and the unity.)

I don't know why I hate it, but deep down, I think it has to do with my psychological subconscious.

I tend to feel belittled when I'm with too many people, as if I'm of little value because I feel like this world has so many people to offset my nonexistence in case I cease to exist.

(Quite negative but I feel this only when I'm in a very large crowd.. To defend myself, I've once heard that this is one of the tactics Communistic nations use to make their members feel they are just a small part of something bigger than them. To make them loyal to their systems)

Is it just me? Or does it have something to do with how Jehovah created humans? 

What is ‘normal’? I don’t know. I do know that many suffer from anxiety caused by being in a crowd. Some do not. For some, that anxiety becomes a handicap that affects their daily life and social life.

We know that Jehovah created us to be able to develop healthy relationships to others. Some are extra sensitive to large crowds because they realise that they have no control and feel insignificant. Some feel constantly recognised, but unworthy. But Jehovah values you. To him, you’re not one in a crowd. You are that fantastic person, flaws and all. In the crowd of people, he saw you. He saw, not the bad things you’d done, but everything you could be, and he loved you. I really love this picture from next week’s Watchtower study:

2020282_univ_cnt_1_xl.jpg&key=b6b1f6ffc337cee1c37f5bdec6b5ad333b344d6f167e74bab1fdd77bd2433fb1

And when you let Jehovah form you, you become full of value and very useful to him.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

It could be a case of a condition like Autism, or ADHD overloading you. I've noticed a few "alike traits" (not in bad way, but from your experiences :) ) if you've not had it checked out, I would! It can be sensory overload, social phobia or alike to such things, which are all common in such conditions.

Or.. it might not be the conditions above, but simple social anxiety disorder.

58 minutes ago, EccentricM said:

It could be a case of a condition like Autism, or ADHD overloading you. I've noticed a few "alike traits" (not in bad way, but from your experiences :) ) if you've not had it checked out, I would! It can be sensory overload, social phobia or alike to such things, which are all common in such conditions.

Or.. it might not be the conditions above, but simple social anxiety disorder.

Sometimes it can be quite confusing..

Because clearly it’s my thoughts that make me feel in a certain way, and not vice verse.

But is it really so?

Sometimes it’s my feelings that force me to have certain thoughts, it seems.  

I think people with depression or other neural problems can’t get out of their own negative or weird thoughts because

they think those are their own and not a neural consequence of bad health or hormones. 

It’s still confusing to me still, because those thoughts can have such an appealing power.  

Edited by Tryin'SoHardToBeSpiritual

9 minutes ago, Tryin'SoHardToBeSpiritual said:

Sometimes it can be quite confusing..

Because clearly it’s my thoughts that make me feel in a certain way, and not vice verse.

But is it really so?

Sometimes it’s my feelings that force me to have certain thoughts, it seems.  

I think people with depression or other neural problems can’t get out of their own negative or weird thoughts because

they think those are their own and not a neural consequence of bad health or hormones. 

It’s still confusing to me still, because those thoughts can have such an appealing power.  

The answer is both. Because we have our own concious thoughts, and also random thoughts that come to us, and both play off of each other and both can influence how you feel. Sometimes certain conditions that affect mood, or thought, can influence the outcome of emotion and the types of random thoughts that will come to, as a result mood and then may influence your own active conciousness too. Though we never lose free will, we can be affected by all these things.

For example, anxiety disorders, OCD and things like that (which I experience), those thoughts can feel very powerful, yet they also feel "seperate" from "me", but they can still have effects and often you can feel like you're arguing with yourself.

Edited by EccentricM