JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

MICROSOFT has left users with an impossible decision.

MICROSOFT has left users with an impossible decision. While the latest update breaks a key security feature included in Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge and others - the patch for the vulnerability has deleted files from some Windows PC owners' machines during the update process. Yikes.

By AARON BROWN

PUBLISHED: 09:12, Sun, May 3, 2020UPDATED: 09:12, Sun, May 3, 2020

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare with EmailShare via Whatsapp

If you rely on Google Chrome – or Opera, Microsoft Edge, Brave, or any other web browser based on the open-source Chromium codebase – to work from home or keep in touch with friends or family while staying at home due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, you might want to avoid the latest update to Windows 10. That's because Microsoft has broken a key security feature found in all Chromium-based web browsers with its latest Windows 10 1903 update, which is available to all users right now.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/1276625/Windows-10-Users-Nightmare-Choice-Between-Lose-Files-Break-Google-Chrome/amp

Old (Downunder) Tone

WinFlaw.jpg

Edited by Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz

Add pic

This looks/sounds rather odd to me... I'm not familiar with the source. 1903 came out a whole year ago, maybe I forgot about this issue and it was blown over.

2005 supposed to be out this month. That is year 20 fith month. Probably to be released during Microsoft broadcast set for May 20th. Give or take a few days.

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Windows 10 May 2020 Update: Everything you need to know

"Windows 10 May 2020 Update will start hitting computers later this month. If you join the Insider beta program today, you can get the new build right this minute...

"In 2019, Windows 10 version 1903 was released with major changes and new features, but another feature update ‘November 2019 Update’ was released last year with only bug fixes and minor tweaks...

"There are several other improvements in this update including new download throttling options for Delivery Optimization...

"Windows 10 version 2004 also comes with a tweak to Windows Search and it will no longer cause high disk usage when indexing your files. For devices with HDDs, this could result in noticeable performance improvement... 

"To see which version of Windows 10 you have installed, head to Settings > System > About. The support for Windows 10 version 1903 ends in December 2020 and you have until May 2021 to update if you have version 1909."

https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/05/05/windows-10-may-2020-update-everything-you-need-to-know/

Old (Downunder) Tone

Win10-2004.jpg

Edited by Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz

Add pic

Known issues in this update

Symptom Workaround
We have seen social media reports related to KB4549951 that mention Bluetooth, a stop error with a blue screen, and other related issues.

To date, we have not seen these issues reflected in telemetry, support data, or customer feedback channels. We continuously investigate all customer feedback and are closely monitoring this situation.

Note If you experience any issues, we'd like to know. Please provide feedback using the keyboard shortcut Windows + F or go to the Start menu and select Feedback Hub so that we can investigate.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2020 at 10:47 PM, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

latest Windows 10 1903 update,

There are 2 more code number updates since then 1909 and the just released 2004 ( 20H1 ).

There has already been one update for 2004 with more coming. Seems it worked fine a month ago, however some of the

installs since Thursday has had a few driver problems and if newer machines- wait a little while before updating.

My main computer has older hardware thus after backing up my 1909 with latest updates version, I installed 2004 tonight.

Seems to work OK, but will test more when get up in the morning.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/31/2020 at 5:45 AM, pnutts said:

There are 2 more code number updates since then 1909 and the just released 2004 ( 20H1 ).

There has already been one update for 2004 with more coming. Seems it worked fine a month ago, however some of the

installs since Thursday has had a few driver problems and if newer machines- wait a little while before updating.

My main computer has older hardware thus after backing up my 1909 with latest updates version, I installed 2004 tonight.

Seems to work OK, but will test more when get up in the morning.

Pls what's the actual size of the 2004 version? I tried in vain to upgrade. But it zapped all my data and failed at the installation stage. I was so mad as it made me miss part of today's zoom mtg due to insufficient data.

It was a long process but my Dell PC updated fine and it seems to work well.

However, my Surface 3 Windows tablet would not even complete the updates to version 1909 (the last 2 dated May and June this year).  They always failed at the end after rebooting with an error message that some files were missing.  The install program reversed the update and everything went back to the November settings.  I tried several suggestions (even from Microsoft).

Finally I did a system reset and installed the Windows 10 again (it wiped out a lot of files).  then I tried the update and everything went fine and the latest updates are working.  I gave the tablet to my Granddaughter.

I have a older HP 17" laptop that I used to use for CAD work in LDC.  I tried the update and got the same problem as my Surface tablet.  "Files Missing" error message.  I will rest this device in a few days but I will probably lose my Watchtower Cad program.  I still have it on my PC desktop unit so it will be OK.

My Windows 10 Pro laptop did a large update about two weeks ago and everything seems fine. It got even better after I disabled Microsoft Edge. This is the update version I have now. I don't keep track of the various numbers though. Can someone tell me what updates I can expect soon and which ones to be wary of?

version.jpg.66d6a0478ffea5ee49d106a75046f637.jpg

I appreciate the help.

The 2 most oft heard problems had to do with Wi-Fi and a printing error.
It appears that some had the Wi-Fi disconnecting after the update.
There was a patch put out to fix a printer error. I applied that patch. (My Win 10 is the 2004 version.)
If I was you - and everything is working fine - just hold off as long as possible before updating your OS.
(if it ain't broke - don't fix it)
Then, in a few months or so, after the bugs have been identified and fixed, then move forward. IMHO

Old (Downunder) Tone

1 minute ago, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

The 2 most oft heard problems had to do with Wi-Fi and a printing error.
It appears that some had the Wi-Fi disconnecting after the update.
There was a patch put out to fix a printer error. I applied that patch. (My Win 10 is the 2004 version.)
If I was you - and everything is working fine - just hold off as long as possible before updating your OS.
(if it ain't broke - don't fix it)
Then, in a few months or so, after the bugs have been identified and fixed, then move forward. IMHO

emoji3073.pngOld (Downunder) Tone emoji854.png

That was my thought also, thanks. But how do you stop the update when it says "It's ready to install, restart now?"

Some time ago, I did some research and found a program that would stop updates. It was flagged by my anti-virus software as dangerous, although I did not experience any issues that I know of.
I have recently upgraded my laptop, and I could afford to move forward, so I do not use it anymore. I let Win 10 do what it does on my new system, but I know not everyone is in this position.
I did a quick search on Google for you. You could use this as a start to find an answer you are happy with.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop-updates-installing-automatically-windows-10?amp

Old (Downunder) Tone