JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Mark Sanderson: Seek the Advantage of the Other Person (1 Cor. 10:23)

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1404 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Wednesday, April 29

All things are lawful, but not all things are advantageous. All things are lawful, but not all things build up.—1 Cor. 10:23.

Some individuals may feel that since some choices in life, such as education, employment, or career, are personal, they should have the freedom to choose what they please as long as their conscience permits it. Perhaps they have in mind Paul’s words to the Corinthian Christians about food: “Why should my freedom be judged by another person’s conscience?” (1 Cor. 10:29) While it is true that we have the freedom to make these personal choices, we need to remember that our freedom is relative and that all decisions we make have consequences. For that reason, Paul prefaced his statement with the words of today’s text. That certainly helps us to see that there are far more important factors to consider than our own preferences when it comes to exercising personal freedom in all aspects of our life. 

51 minutes ago, Bosko said:

Wednesday, April 29

All things are lawful, but not all things are advantageous. All things are lawful, but not all things build up.—1 Cor. 10:23.

Some individuals may feel that since some choices in life, such as education, employment, or career, are personal, they should have the freedom to choose what they please as long as their conscience permits it. Perhaps they have in mind Paul’s words to the Corinthian Christians about food: “Why should my freedom be judged by another person’s conscience?” (1 Cor. 10:29) While it is true that we have the freedom to make these personal choices, we need to remember that our freedom is relative and that all decisions we make have consequences. For that reason, Paul prefaced his statement with the words of today’s text. That certainly helps us to see that there are far more important factors to consider than our own preferences when it comes to exercising personal freedom in all aspects of our life. 

2020? Couldn't find it. Thanks Bro.

Edited by Luigi62

Wednesday, April 29

Pls how do you get the daily text that speakers develop as talk?

Sent from my TECNO LC6 using Tapatalk

Great talk and discission.

Loved the tablet usage

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

2 hours ago, TRUTH04 said:

Pls how do you get the daily text that speakers develop as talk?

Sent from my TECNO LC6 using Tapatalk

Dear brother,

It isn't so difficult. Brother Sanderson talked about covid 19, so I assumed that this daily text must be examined few days or weeks ago.

So I looked at the Examining the scriptures daily for 2020, and I found that scripture on April 29.

19 hours ago, momma said:

did anyone pick up on Bro. Sanderson saying, neighborly Samaritan, that will take time to get use too.?  Something like that, just was wondering if I missed a talk or article discussing the use of that term instead of Good Samaritan. 

Just Saying "Samaritan" is saying someone is a Good Neighbor.

23 hours ago, momma said:

did anyone pick up on Bro. Sanderson saying, neighborly Samaritan, that will take time to get use too.?  Something like that, just was wondering if I missed a talk or article discussing the use of that term instead of Good Samaritan. 

I don't see a reason not to call him the "good Samaritan", since this is a term that is commonly understood by most people, and he acted out of "goodness".

I think we use plenty of terms as it is that most people can not connect to, such as the "Faithful and Discrete Slave" or "impaled" instead of crucified... Some of those we can choose to use terms that people can connect to (I say "Lord's prayer" or "Vaterunser" in service and not "model prayer" because that term in German is exclusively used by JWs, I also never use the term "Hebrew Scriptures" or "Christian Greek Scriptures") , with others we may need to improvise ("crucified" -> "impaled" -> "died for our sins" or "was executed")

We were also admonished to use terms people can connect to in this video, so I don't know why I need to start using the term "neighborly" instead of "good" or "compassionate"

https://www.jw.org/en/library/videos/#en/mediaitems/VODMinistryApplyTeaching/pub-thv_17_VIDEO

On 5/22/2020 at 1:14 PM, Bosko said:

Wednesday, April 29

While it is true that we have the freedom to make these personal choices, we need to remember that our freedom is relative and that all decisions we make have consequences. For that reason, Paul prefaced his statement with the words of today’s text. That certainly helps us to see that there are far more important factors to consider than our own preferences when it comes to exercising personal freedom in all aspects of our life. 

What I personally took from this video is that, during these harsh times, we are personally blessed with joy when we decide to be helping and compassionate towards others instead of focussed on our own gain. He used the example of a sister taking time to  visit a sister in hospital so that she wouldn't be alone during the memorial because the family couldn't visit due to the lockdown. 

Edited by ChocoBro

This expression is new to you? It is the one used in Index. https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200274047#h=1:0

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Sanderson said in Bethel they are sheltering in place in their rooms. Wow. It seems as if they don't leave their rooms unless they need to eat or get some fresh air. I pray they can deal with that hard lockdown as unlike us, they cannot leave the complex.

13 minutes ago, Bob said:

Sanderson said in Bethel they are sheltering in place in their rooms. Wow. It seems as if they don't leave their rooms unless they need to eat or get some fresh air. I pray they can deal with that hard lockdown as unlike us, they cannot leave the complex.

I believe all of the Branch facilities were given the same guidelines. Last month one of the SKE instructors at WEC-Florida joined the Assembly Hall weekly maintenance zoom meeting and he said everyone in the facility was sheltering in their rooms. The Assembly Hall caretakers and anyone living at any of the Assembly Halls are also sequestered. A local brother that is working at Patterson said they are staying in their rooms. 

Edited by Bro Richard
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 minutes ago, Bro Richard said:

I believe all of the Branch facilities were given the same guidelines. Last month one of the SKE instructors at WEC-Florida joined the Assembly Hall weekly maintenance zoom meeting and he said everyone in the facility was sheltering in their rooms. The Assembly Hall caretakers and anyone living at any of the Assembly Halls are also sequestered. A local brother that is working at Patterson said they are staying in their rooms. 

Makes sense, Rich. I was talking with a good friend of mine about that very issue of staying in their rooms, and he reminded me of the scripture in which Jehovah will not allow them to take on more than they can bare. 

So it made me wonder just how long he will allow them to deal with the near total isolation, and what "way out" he will give them when or if they hit their breaking point. 

On 5/23/2020 at 8:05 AM, momma said:

It was Jesus' question.  He did not say, "Who was a "good" person" in the parable.  he asked, "Who made himself a "neighbor" in the parable.

Luke 10:36..."Who of these three seems to you to have made himself neighbor to the man who fell victim to the robbers?”

Some Special Pioneer friends are not allowed to leave their house. The only reason is to get in groceries.

And friends at the branch here are now in their 9th week of Quarantine. The work continues. The whole Bethel complex is made into a "one way route". Bethelites are not allowed to go off the Bethel terrain. Even post is in Quarantine for a day, before it is delivered to their rooms.
Also, if one of the Bethelites have to go to a doctor, even if it is a regular check, they and their partners, have to stay in quarantine for 2 weeks.

Its hard, but at the same time one of my friends told me that he sees it as a privilege to help Jehovah's organization a little to continue in this weird time.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ELE-L29 met Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, Sepie93 said:

Some Special Pioneer friends are not allowed to leave their house. The only reason is to get in groceries.

And friends at the branch here are now in their 9th week of Quarantine. The work continues. The whole Bethel complex is made into a "one way route". Bethelites are not allowed to go off the Bethel terrain. Even post is in Quarantine for a day, before it is delivered to their rooms.
Also, if one of the Bethelites have to go to a doctor, even if it is a regular check, they and their partners, have to stay in quarantine for 2 weeks.

Its hard, but at the same time one of my friends told me that he sees it as a privilege to help Jehovah's organization a little to continue in this weird time.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ELE-L29 met Tapatalk

Thanks for the information. Would this be "first hand" knowledge you are presenting?

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

So to clarify, Bethelites are not actually locked up in their rooms all day, they are continuing working on the premise, they just can't leave the grounds...?

It doesn't make sense to stay locked up in their room all day. After 14 days,  if no one is sick,  and they are on lockdown, how would they get sick with Covid-19? And besides, the building can't run itself,  they have to wash clothes,  food prep, etc.