JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Sports and the NW

For example, like Football(Soccer), no doubt that it will still exist in the NW.

But to what level of importance? I think it will only become a light hobby or a pastime? 

Most people(or the general atmosphere of the NW) will not root for a soccer team in a frenzy,

No one will be making loads of money just because one is great at soccer.

Plus, most sports tend to hurt people..

Of course, there will no money reward or something like that in the NW for the winning team so we can argue that nobody will play soccer so toughly 

but trying to put a ball into a net itself naturally brings competition and I think it will easily lead to some level of injury? 

I’ve seen many young brothers playing soccer and many times some of them show up in a kingdom hall with an arm or a leg in a cast. 

In fact, most people enjoying sports know and presuppose that injury will happen at some point in the future, whether big or small.

Not trying to explain sports negatively though..  I love watching sports. 

Edited by Tryin'SoHardToBeSpiritual

I would sure like to play baseball and watch baseball.  That being said, I'm more worried about getting to the New World.  Jehovah knows what we need AND want.  I can't imagine thinking.... boy i miss the old world where I could watch baseball, basketball, football, hockey.... (OK maybe Baseball :) )

Baseball is in the Bible... Gen 1:1 "In the big inning".

1 hour ago, dozerman5676 said:

I would sure like to play baseball and watch baseball.  That being said, I'm more worried about getting to the New World.  Jehovah knows what we need AND want.  I can't imagine thinking.... boy i miss the old world where I could watch baseball, basketball, football, hockey.... (OK maybe Baseball :) )

I was an Astros fan until they were caught cheating. I'm really looking forward to a NW All Star game with Babe Ruth and all the baseball legends...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Sport will simply become recreational activity in Paradise. 
No more big money and sponsors (and fame, ego, associated with it) 

Whole population will be young, so don’t worry about sitting in a rocking chair rubbing anti-arthritis cream on your shoulders, there will be plenty of activities happening. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Any sporting event in paradise will be eventually be quite altered from today. As all people approach physical Edenic perfection and the lame one can “ leap up “ like the stag. 
     Picture what a baseball game would look like. The Infield will have to be stretched to our field dimensions just to be a challenge. The Bats and / or balls altered to be both safe and yet challenging. Maybe by making them of materials that will limit to some extent their range. Or else the gloves made to take the impact of a ball caught off of what is now an “ out of the ballpark “ hit. 
      How about Basketball, maybe the courts will need to be a third longer. Or like in an older commercial: The goals could be made to move. 

I feel like I keep bringing up this movie....

Star Trek Insurrection  has a scene of activities of young people on their paradise planet.  They were doing community games like passing a ball between a group with just their feet. 
To me those types of things have less of a chance of being about the score versus the fun. 
I would love to physically be able to play a good game of tennis again though!!!

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

Just now, BLEmom said:

I feel like I keep bringing up this movie....

Star Trek Insurrection  has a scene of activities of young people on their paradise planet.  They were doing community games like passing a ball between a group with just their feet. 
To me those types of things have less of a chance of being about the score versus the fun. 
I would love to physically be able to play a good game of tennis again though!!!

How about a form of Hacky sack played while walking on your hands.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2020 at 10:58 AM, dozerman5676 said:

Let me guess, you like Baseball.

Me too!!!

My two favorite sports, Baseball and Football... strike that... Baseball and that game that is played on a diamond, where they throw a small ball and the guy has to hit it with a small stick and run, hoping the ball is not caught, oh wait that is baseball. Well, I like a little football too.

1 minute ago, Shawnster said:

Those exist now 

phpk81aOS.jpeg

71LFn8C2tIL._AC_SX466_.jpg

Yes! But not everyone has the patience and skill to play.  Like free diving to the depth of a ww2 era submarine, it’s only currently possible for a rare few. In the new system I would expect a version of this far more complex. 

Edited by BenJepthah

On 6/26/2020 at 1:45 PM, Tryin'SoHardToBeSpiritual said:

For example, like Football(Soccer), no doubt that it will still exist in the NW.

But to what level of importance? I think it will only become a light hobby or a pastime? 

Most people(or the general atmosphere of the NW) will not root for a soccer team in a frenzy,

No one will be making loads of money just because one is great at soccer.

Plus, most sports tend to hurt people..

Of course, there will no money reward or something like that in the NW for the winning team so we can argue that nobody will play soccer so toughly 

but trying to put a ball into a net itself naturally brings competition and I think it will easily lead to some level of injury? 

I’ve seen many young brothers playing soccer and many times some of them show up in a kingdom hall with an arm or a leg in a cast. 

In fact, most people enjoying sports know and presuppose that injury will happen at some point in the future, whether big or small.

Not trying to explain sports negatively though..  I love watching sports. 

Timothy, you and I will play soccer together in paradise,  okay? 😄

Chrissy :wave: