JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

One of my "obscure" hobbies are snakes and reptiles! I´m curious if anyone here has a pet reptile of any sorts?

I just think that reptiles in general have a bad reputation. Especially snakes since many species make great pets that rarely become defensive.

Here are my two snakes. The yellow one is a ball python named Jonah, and the brown is a Hog Island Boa named Laura. 

IMG_20200730_155507.jpg

IMG_20200127_015001.jpg

Edited by ProcrastLife

My wife has some snakes - not sure what types they are and I have lost track of how many.

She has had a horse since she was a young girl and we still have horses. She also has a dog and a cat and a squirrel - who would have thought she would also like snakes since she is scared to death of spiders ...

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

When I was younger (so much younger than today....) I had a pet 8ft reticulated python named George and a beautiful 6ft boa constrictof (Colombian) called Sylvia.

When I was selling George my advert was seen by a local reporter and I ended up on the local TV station news - complete with pets!

My son has just got a young corn snake.

13 hours ago, bohemian said:

When I was younger (so much younger than today....) I had a pet 8ft reticulated python named George and a beautiful 6ft boa constrictof (Colombian) called Sylvia.

When I was selling George my advert was seen by a local reporter and I ended up on the local TV station news - complete with pets!

My son has just got a young corn snake.

Reticulated pythons are impressive. A bit to big for me tho.

Actually it's very practical because they contain all necessary nutrition and doesn't need any processing accept for defrosting. Dog and cat food tho..
I'm sure it is practical, just couldn't help my reaction! I'm not keen on rats, live, frozen, in any shape or form! If a hobby involves rats, it's not for me, lol.

Sent from my WAS-LX2 using Tapatalk

A brother and his wife in our congregation (originally from Alabama) also have snakes as pets. Just as big as your's. I forgot what kind, though. He has a few and a whole room dedicated to them. Their grand-kids I'm sure love it.

A good friend of mine in the congregation used to have pet mice when she was single. 

These 2 families live down the street from one another. But she's ok with it. 😉

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

I LOVE LIZARDS!  

Years back, I had 8-9 large aquatic turtles and would purchase their food at a reptile store.  At that time, I didn't like lizards at all.  One day, to get over my phobia, I decided to just open a lizard cage and grab one!  Without thinking, I grabbed a Sudan plated lizard  (my eyes were literally closed at this point!) and pulled him toward my face.  At that exact moment his tongue came out and he kissed me!  That was it, love at first sight.  He came home with me that day.  I named him "Sudy" and he was quite useful.  If I was reading a book and had to get up for a moment, he was my book marker.  He would lay there patiently waiting for my return.

I went on to have more lizards - my favorites are Iguanas.  You can't look at an iguana without thinking about Jehovah, they are real masterpieces.  "Payton" was my best lizard ever - about 5' long - shown with me below.  You haven't felt "soft" until you have felt an Iguana's armpit!  We had a huge floor to ceiling cage but for the most part, he was a free roamer.  I have fond memories of my dad reading the morning newspaper and drinking his coffee at the kitchen table... Payton would walk up his leg, up over his back and perch on his shoulder.  

During that time back in the early 1990's I got involved with a herptile group to educate people and stop the sale of lizards in pet stores.  Counties would ship huge burlap bags packed full with baby lizards to the US, where they would be transported to pet stores.  People would buy these inexpensive baby lizards, not realizing that they become very large creatures with very comprehensive needs.  People would often feed their lizards little more than lettuce and provide no heat source, it was cruel.  When the animal got larger or became sickly, they would often just throw them away, as though they were disposable!  Anyway, Henry Lizardlover  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gmbt6_HJaM  and Melissa Kaplan, another animal welfarist http://www.anapsid.org/ led the group, to get the word out on proper care of lizards.  We were all a bunch of reptile lov'n freaks!

Snakes... I'm not afraid of them and will hold them if an emergency forced me to do so BUT, I just WISH they had legs!!!  That would change my viewpoint entirely!  :wub:

Best Payton _ Mom.jpg

cecil_romance_fifi_by_henry_lizardlover.jpg

(Deuteronomy 28:3)  “Blessed you will be in the city, and blessed you will be in the field.

Being blessed by Jehovah is not contingent on location, assignment or circumstances. 

Hi Alexis, if he transfers the snake to a smaller tub, could this stay within the terrarium?  And would you suggest periodically increasing the size of the tub or releasing the snake into the larger terrarium when it is eating regularly?

There are so many suggestions on the internet that it is hard to know what is best. 

14 hours ago, bohemian said:

Hi Alexis, if he transfers the snake to a smaller tub, could this stay within the terrarium?  And would you suggest periodically increasing the size of the tub or releasing the snake into the larger terrarium when it is eating regularly?

There are so many suggestions on the internet that it is hard to know what is best. 

Yeah, leave it in the small tub in a silent place for a week without trying to feed it. This is at least how you make ball pythons to eat. After that, you can release it into the bigger enclosure 

In the beginning of March we had the circuit overseer in the congregation and the last day of his visit we concluded with fieldservice and afterwards having a meal and some entertainment with the whole congregation. One bible student had been a reptile and vertebrate entertainer for living before he started to know the truth. He borrowed some species from his old friend to give some education to the friends enjoying their meal.

At that point I never seen a spider, snake or lizard other than in a Zoo. But my daughter, son and I were brave enough to have a large snake (don’t know the exact species) on our shoulder. Also my son and daughter handled a large spider. A Grammostola Rosea with a legspan proximate 8 inches or 20 cm.....

At that point my daughter fell in love with these creatures en soon a few enclosures with some New World tarantula’s found their way to her room 🥺😬

Unfortunately she became allergic to the urticating hairs they have. And a painful  decision was made. The collection had to leave again.

Now she has one enclosure with some hissing Madagascar Roaches and an Asian forrest scorpion......  sometimes one of the roaches seem missing.......  Snacktime for the scorpion 🙈

She also has 2 Arboreal Old world Tarantula’s wich dont have urticating hairs. 

In the picture is me with the snake in March.  And the slomotion video is feeding one of the new tarantulas.

D9DE4BE8-73E0-4FA8-98E5-C7B2D977271A.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...