JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW Broadcast app acting up on firestick 4k

22 minutes ago, bigvince said:

Last night I was trying to watch a few things on my firestick 4K in the jw broadcasting app, navigation was crazy, menus weren't working. If I clicked a video it would play a random video. Anyone else having these issues? I restarted the firestick several times.

I'm surprised that it still worked there! I thought the app was discontinued...

I had a firestick that I bought just for that purpose but then sold it :D

• 4 weeks later...

Bit late here, but you could try sideloading JW Library using a file browser such as X-Plore?
https://www.jw.org/en/online-help/jw-library/android/manually-install-jw-library-android/
https://www.amazon.com/Lonely-Cat-Games-X-plore-Manager/dp/B00LLG7AR8
https://www.howtogeek.com/336602/how-to-sideload-apps-on-the-fire-tv-and-fire-tv-stick/

Google also just released their new Chromecast with 'Google TV', to replace Android TV. Fire Stick 4k is still plenty powerful, though.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Mykyl said:

I have just bought a fire stick for using the jw broadcasting app. Its still listed on jw.org and Amazon? Why do folks think its been discontinued? 

https://www.jw.org/en/online-help/jw-broadcasting/amazon-fire-tv/install-app/

It works fine the last few weeks, definitely still supported.

Just now, bear_about said:

I've had the same issues the past few weeks! 

Tate, there was a firmware update or something and since then it's been working fine. I know when the branch moved to cloudfront or whatever from akamai servers it had an effect on it because it couldn't find the videos.

Just now, bigvince said:

Tate, there was a firmware update or something and since then it's been working fine. I know when the branch moved to cloudfront or whatever from akamai servers it had an effect on it because it couldn't find the videos.

Ah brilliant, I'll check that out now, thanks bro! 

Hebrews 11:1

~ Faith is the assured expectation of what is hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities that are not seen. ~

5 hours ago, Mykyl said:

Its still listed on jw.org and Amazon? Why do folks think its been discontinued? 

Probably because the JW Broadcasting app on Amazon hasn't been updated once in 4 years since it was released. I tried out the JW Broadcasting app on an older Fire Stick today, and it's not working right, same issues as in the original post.

3 minutes ago, Lee49 said:

I've never had any issues with a Roku since the Broadcast started back in what 2014? Has it been that long? Yes, just checked, Oct 2014! I have upgraded through the years though.

I own a Roku but its not 4k for the other stuff I watch. Its not a big deal but would have been handy. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ours is awful, I useable now. We scroll across to the different categories abd it’ll go down instead of across. Then when we press play, two videos play at the same time, one video but both audio! Tried uninstalling a few times but no help. Might see if an update helps. I’ll try find it in settings and report back. 

Thank you Bro. @bigvince, I tried updating it manually but it said my fire stick is already upto date. Mine is exactly the way @Luisabola explained. I heard there is an upcoming update from amazon that will improve its user interface, let’s hope it fixes it. If you get any update that fixes it, let me know.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone found a permanent solution to this issue? Tried to do family worship watching a video. A random one started playing. The one I wanted to use eventually played but the picture wouldn’t play with it. And has anyone called the branch to make sure they know? 

On 9/16/2020 at 6:50 AM, bigvince said:

Last night I was trying to watch a few things on my firestick 4K in the jw broadcasting app, navigation was crazy, menus weren't working. If I clicked a video it would play a random video. Anyone else having these issues? I restarted the firestick several times.

On 12/16/2020 at 9:07 AM, Luisabola said:

Ours is awful, I useable now. We scroll across to the different categories abd it’ll go down instead of across. Then when we press play, two videos play at the same time, one video but both audio! Tried uninstalling a few times but no help. Might see if an update helps. I’ll try find it in settings and report back. 

I am having these same issues as are the friends locally who can’t use the 4K FireTV Stick. 

I've been trying for months to correct this problem...updating, reinstalling, called Amazon they did everything they could do on their end.  I was advised that it was an internal problem with the App itself and I that I would have to call the maker of the app to report the issue so that they could help resolve the matter.  So reporting it to the Branch is on my loooong to-do-list. 

The choices I make will dictate the life I live...🌼