JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Herbs are fantastic to add flavours to food.

The name “herbs” comes from ‘herbaceous plant’.  Some countries have a habit of h-dropping and for some reason describe them as “erbs”, however the general level of education in these countries is relatively low (watch a quiz show for evidence of this).

As far back as the days of Emperor Charlemagne herbs were an important part of cookery, he compiled a list of 74 herbs to be planted in his gardens!

I love using Herbs in my cooking and we grow several species in the garden as fresh herbs are always better than dried.

Do you have a favourite herb?  I like rocket, coriander, basil, thyme and rosemary the best.

Rocket....what is that again?  I thought it was a type of lettuce.  I know whatever it is, I’m the states we call it something else. 

We use a lot of oregano as an herb. I like growing mint for mojitos too 😉

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/glossary/rocket-glossary

What is rocket?

Rocket is a very ‘English’ leaf, and has been used in salads since Elizabethan times. It has a strong, peppery flavour, and the leaves have a slight ‘bite’ to them. If you see ‘rucola’ or ‘arugula’ for sale or on a restaurant menu, it’s the same thing.

Rocket

Once I bought rocket leaves and it turned out to be a bit bitter. I think it was old. Going to try it a 2nd time.

Edited by Mclove

Daydream -

Scientists have discovered that daydreaming is an important tool for creativity. It causes a rush of activity in a circuit, which connects different parts of the brain and allows the mind to make new associations.

1 hour ago, Mclove said:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/glossary/rocket-glossary

Rocket

Once I bought rocket leaves and it turned out to be a bit bitter. I think it was old. Going to try it a 2nd time.

Actually Sis. Anne, it probably was just fine, the first time i used arugula in a fresh  green juice, I thought the same, that it was spoiled. It is very bitter, almost up there with collard greens. Both are extremely healthy, but with intense flavor.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/bitter-foods#TOC_TITLE_HDR_11

Bitter-tasting foods each have their own unique health benefits, including protection against cancer, heart disease and diabetes, as well as reduced inflammation and oxidative stress.

Most of these benefits come from the wide array of polyphenols, which act as antioxidants, anti-inflammatories and even prebiotics.

Thanks Br. Michael for the timely advise. When I was much younger, I used to hate foods like bitter gourd and didn't quite get it why the older folks would rave about it. The local Chinese medicine shops and the Javanese herbalists would also extol the virtue of taking bitter herbs. Now that I'm much much older and a bit wiser, I can sometimes make a beeline for the bitter stuff. Even my dearly departed dog can also be quite a herbalist. 🙂

And oh, recently I saw my 2 cats happily munching on some weeds in my backyard.

Here in South East Asia, the locals are renowned for eating a lot of herbs. I have a kaffir lime tree in my front garden. I absolutely adore kaffir lime (fried rice, baked fish, spicy seafood dishes)

herbs-of-southeast-asian-cuisine-prints.jpg

Edited by Mclove

Daydream -

Scientists have discovered that daydreaming is an important tool for creativity. It causes a rush of activity in a circuit, which connects different parts of the brain and allows the mind to make new associations.

3 hours ago, Mclove said:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/bitter-foods#TOC_TITLE_HDR_11

Thanks Br. Michael for the timely advise. When I was much younger, I used to hate foods like bitter gourd and didn't quite get it why the older folks would rave about it. The local Chinese medicine shops and the Javanese herbalists would also extol the virtue of taking bitter herbs. Now that I'm much much older and a bit wiser, I can sometimes make a beeline for the bitter stuff. Even my dearly departed dog can also be quite a herbalist. 🙂

And oh, recently I saw my 2 cats happily munching on some weeds in my backyard.

Here in South East Asia, the locals are renowned for eating a lot of herbs. I have a kaffir lime tree in my front garden. I absolutely adore kaffir lime (fried rice, baked fish, spicy seafood dishes)

herbs-of-southeast-asian-cuisine-prints.jpg

Thanks for sharing the article, we’ve enjoyed most of the herbs that you mentioned in Thai curries, Vietnamese pho, and lemongrass dishes at a very packed local asian cuisine restaurant, before the pandemic.

Isn't it amazing that our carnivorous pets even enjoy tasting herbal treats every once in awhile. 

@McGlove :

What is rocket?

Rocket is a very ‘English’ leaf, and has been used in salads since Elizabethan times. It has a strong, peppery flavour, and the leaves have a slight ‘bite’ to them. If you see ‘rucola’ or ‘arugula’ for sale or on a restaurant menu, it’s the same thing.

------------------------------

WOW!  Did not know this.  thanks for info.  

Rocket. Yes, I thought it was arugula....So isn’t it a vegetable then?  I guess I got confused because it was put in the herb category. 

Arugula tastes best with fruits mixed in. Brie and pears, apples and berries etc.  I like it with Trader Joe’s vegan Ceasar dressing ❤️ 

1 hour ago, Precision said:

we’ve enjoyed most of the herbs that you mentioned in Thai curries, Vietnamese pho, and lemongrass dishes

Oh yes!  I love a good pho with all the cilantro etc thrown in.  We do use a ton of cilantro at our house. Living the half Latino life. Lol

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

5 hours ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

It probably eats herbaceous plants? emoji2377.png

I don't like lemon-grass. But I like cardamom in my coffee.

emoji3073.pngOld (Downunder) Tone emoji854.png

https://food.ndtv.com/food-drinks/7-wonderful-benefits-of-lemongrass-tea-the-healing-brew-1459468

Lemongrass tea does more than just making you feel good from within. You can chop the grass, put it in water, bring it to a boil and let it steep for 10-15 minutes. Alternatively, you add the lemongrass pieces in teapot and let it brew. Make sure you steep it well, it helps to reap the plant’s benefits in an easily digestible form.

A few decades back while I was visiting south Thailand (Hat Yai), this Fijian sister served us lemongrass tea made from the leaves. It was absolutely delightful and I had never thought one could make such a lovely flavorful drink from the leaves. At that time I had a a large lemongrass plant growing with wild abandon outside my house but didn't know what to do with discarded leaves. Thankfully over the years, people living just south of the border, have heartily embraced this kind of drinks.

th-01.jpg

Edited by Mclove

Daydream -

4 hours ago, BLEmom said:

Rocket. Yes, I thought it was arugula....So isn’t it a vegetable then?  I guess I got confused because it was put in the herb category. 

Arugula tastes best with fruits mixed in. Brie and pears, apples and berries etc.  I like it with Trader Joe’s vegan Ceasar dressing ❤️ 

Arugula is a cruciferous vegetable, a cousin of broccoli, kale, and cabbage. The leaves have a peppery, spicy flavor that grows more bitter with age.

Trader Joe’s Vegan Caesar Dressing uses an ingenious mix of plant-based ingredients, including tofu, capers, mustard, and miso to create a deliciously savory, enticingly peppery, and satisfyingly creamy.

It also works fantastically as a dip, especially when paired with crudités, and even works wonders as a creamy, umami-rich sandwich spread

Daydream -

I could go through half a bottle a day!!!  But I don’t. 😜

17 hours ago, bohemian said:

Do you have a favourite herb? 

I use herbs in my food preparation daily. My favorites are thyme, rosemary, cilantro, basil (mainly for Italian-oriented dishes), bay leaves, dill, sage, and curly parsley.

Now, if you ask me about my favourite spices, the list is long as the day! :)

• 3 months later...

GARLIC

Garlic comes from an edible plant with a bulb, stem, and leaves. Therefore, it’s botanically considered a vegetable.

Culinary classification

Garlic is used more like a spice or herb than a vegetable.

Although it was previously believed that only raw garlic had health benefits, studies now show that cooked and commercially prepared products can be just as beneficial (Trusted Source).

SUMMARY

Dietary guidelines recommend that fruits and vegetables comprise half of your plate during a meal, or about 1.7 pounds (800 grams) throughout the day (Trusted Source).

This potent vegetable packs a variety of sulfur compounds, including allicin, which accounts for most of its medicinal properties (Trusted Source).

Research shows that just 1–2 cloves provide substantial health benefits, including 

reduced cholesterol

lower blood pressure

a decreased risk of blood clots

treatment of respiratory infections, such as bronchitis, asthma, and cough

antimicrobial effects

enhanced immune function

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/is-garlic-a-vegetable#botanical-classification

Daydream -

https://htgetrid.com/en/chaj-s-kardamonom-polza-i-vred-dlya-zdorovya/

Is there any harm in drinking cardamom

Cardamom Tea

Cardamom does not harm the body, if you do not exceed the consumption rate of tsp per day. It is contraindicated in only a few cases:

• during pregnancy and lactation;
  • with high blood pressure;
  • in the presence of gastritis;
  • with individual intolerance.

The active substances contained in the grains of cardamom heat up the body and increase the pressure, and in some people may cause irritation of the mucous membranes. And although it is used to provide a calming effect, allergy sufferers should not get involved in the spice, without consulting a doctor.

Daydream -

Here is the 'recipe' Patricia. 😄

https://www.thekitchn.com/try-this-cardamom-coffee-180331

Try This: Cardamom Coffee

This warm, fragrant beverage is especially popular in the Middle East, where cardamom seeds are often ground with coffee beans. Others add whole cardamom pods or even pre-ground cardamom powder to the brew.

We recommend starting with one crushed cardamom pod per cup of coffee, and later adjusting the amount to your taste.

I hope you like this unusual combination. I prefer this spice in my biryani rice (nasi means rice)

Agape, Anne (Ying Ching)

d6a2c0a40595b6386105de03d49c9dff.jpg

Daydream -

I tried with one pod in my hot beverage : I let it sit for a minute or two to soften and then I removed the outer shell - there were 11 seeds hidden in the shell. It reminded me of bro. Schaffer’s talk on how generous Jehovah is.

I must say : the smell of cardamom is very nice and delicate. I will use it again.