JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Jehovah’s Creation: What Can Christians learn from the Man O’ War?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1152 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

image.thumb.jpeg.a4cb0dab51cedb0f86fd48e620ed84d5.jpeg

The Portuguese Man o’ War doesn’t swim. Instead, it uses the wind and ocean currents to propel it forward.

Thought to have a comparable shape, the Portuguese Man-o-War was named after a Portuguese warship with full, puffy sails.

The Man o’ War must put itself squarely in the path of an ocean current for it to move forward. The gas-filled bladder that allows the Man O’ War to float is made of a single polyp whose specialty is releasing gas, creating the colony’s wind-catching sail.

Spoiler

*** w19 November pp. 10-11 par. 11 How Holy Spirit Helps Us ***
First, we must put ourselves squarely in the path of God’s spirit by sharing in activities that bring us under its influence.

Second, we need to “raise our sails” as fully as possible by being fully engaged in these activities to the best of our ability. (Ps. 119:32) When we take these steps, holy spirit will push us forward through waves of opposition and trials and will help us to endure faithfully on the course to God’s new world.
https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=2019641&srctype=wol&srcid=share&par=18

image.thumb.jpeg.9a26b6507da6877f2d490ecdbc4d799f.jpeg

Each Man-of-War travels the warm currents of most of the world’s oceans but they don’t do this alone,

they join together and “sail”  in groups of up to 1000!

Spoiler

image.jpeg.fb1dd8b9927f2bcfa1701f586084950e.jpegimage.jpeg.115fb4ab49b5707221739008b7002160.jpeg

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

I have always being intrigued by the name of this exquisite creature of the sea. Thanks Brother for bringing the fascinating details to our attention.

The Portuguese man o’ war is recognized by its balloon-like float.

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/portuguese-man-o-war.html

The Portuguese man o’ war is recognized by its balloon-like float, which may be blue, violet, or pink and rises up to six inches above the water line.

Wow, wow, such a wonderful color palette to choose from. Giddy with delight. Thanks to the brothers concerned for this wonderful enhancement.

Now I'm even too stunned to continue.  Must have had an all too close encounter with a PMOW. Thanks goodness no red welts. 🙃

I really admire the tenacity of the nature photographers who risk their well being to capture such beautiful and vivid pictures for our enjoyment. But ultimately it is our Grand Creator who should be receiving the glory for this endless array of mind boggling creatures. His love for mankind moved Him to do all these things  just so man can enjoy life in all its magnificence.

What a great injustice it would be if we do not reciprocate this undeserved kindness. 
Sorry to sound repetitious but I will have to second Sister Ross's remarks about what a marvelous topic this is. It appears that  sickness hasn't dampened one jot Br. Neil's zeal for Jehovah. To the contrary it has elevated his sense of discernment to a whole new level.

It calls to mind the words of apostle Paul in 2 Corinthians 12:9, 10.

*** w05 5/1 p. 25 Though Weak, I Am Powerful ***

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=2005325&srctype=wol&srcid=share&par=44

Take care my brother, don't overdo yourself. 

Edited by Mclove

I can warn you that the "stings" of this creature are quite painful and can cause an allergic reaction.  Don't pick on up or let it get against you while swimming.  I can speak with experience.

It is not really a "sting" but the trailing tentacles have chemicals that burn.  Even after they are dead on a beach.

Beautiful creatures and an amazing design.

5 hours ago, jwhess said:

I can warn you that the "stings" of this creature are quite painful and can cause an allergic reaction.  Don't pick on up or let it get against you while swimming.  I can speak with experience.

It is not really a "sting" but the trailing tentacles have chemicals that burn.  Even after they are dead on a beach.

Beautiful creatures and an amazing design.

This must be similar to the jellyfish in looks and stinging effects...although the jellyfish is transparent and harder to see in the water. My husband swam through one in the ocean off the coast of Scotland and was pretty stung up..

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

The Portuguese man o’ war,  is often called a jellyfish, but is actually a species of siphonophore, a group of animals that are closely related to jellyfish. A siphonophore is unusual in that it is comprised of a colony of specialized, genetically identical individuals called zooids — clones — with various forms and functions, all working together as one

I have never seen a Man O' war before but travelling between the mainland and Penang Island by ferry, I do see a couple of jellyfishes in the waters. They look more white than transparent. 

Iconic Penang ferry service to continue — Finance Minister ...

Edited by Mclove

A lot of pictures show above/below water to see the tentacles hanging down  Here are some more "normal" pictures of how you might see them. 

I would advise against stepping so close to the creature.  The tentacles can reach several feet long and you might not see them clearly when one washes up on shore.  So several feet around a beached creature could be in a "sting" zone (even if the Man-o-War is dead).

Some of these are just stock photos.

port1.jpg

port2.jpg

port3.jpg

port4.jpg

11 minutes ago, M.J. said:

They look like balloons filled with air!! What happens if you try to pop one? Are these eatable in any way? 

Some sea turtles and Ocean Sunfish eat them (and they deflate). Some sea snails and sea slugs eat them as well.  They are about the size of an inflated plastic "baggie" that you put your sandwich into.  There are records of the tentacles reaching 165 feet in length.  The usual ones I saw were more like 10-15 feet long.

Yes you could deflate it but for what purpose?  The floating tentacles couldn't seen readily if the inflated part was collapsed.

Edited by jwhess

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/article/2018/02/01/jellyfish-if-you-cant-beat-them-eat-them

About 25 to 30 species of jellyfish in the world are edible, including a few in Australian waters.

A delicacy in Asia

Eating jellyfish is nothing new in some parts of the world. It’s been consumed for hundreds of years in many Asian countries, usually in a salad, cold or pickled.

I live eating jellyfish but P man o' war is definitely a no no

2 hours ago, Mclove said:

They look more white than transparent. 

They are in many colors, but often translucent. What my husband swam through was not just one, but a swarm of them. He didn't see them until it was too late because they were clear..he was just a young man at the time...

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..