JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

For All the Donut Lovers Here 😁😁😁😁 National Donut Day

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1077 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

https://www.upmatters.com/entertainment-news/national-doughnut-day-a-dozen-tasty-tidbits-you-never-knew-about-doughnuts/?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR1LchjEmkNQc_j1LVjmQnTjsdTuCn-u-jKGF_hoEbt4eMIAMGJlchTsmCc

NEXSTAR) – People go nuts for doughnuts, especially on National Doughnut Day.

First celebrated in 1938, National Doughnut Day was organized by the Salvation Army to commemorate the volunteers who traveled overseas during WWI to provide support for the troops, sometimes in the form of sugary, doughy treats. These “Donut Lassies,” as they came to be known, would also fry up doughnuts on the front lines, which in turn helped to popularize the treat among returning GIs, according to the Salvation Army.

Today, National Doughnut Day is celebrated every year on the first Friday in June, often by devouring as many free doughnuts as possible. But as history has shown, doughnuts offer more than just jelly filling and empty calories. The doughnut has had a long, and sometimes strange history in the United States.

Curious to know why doughnut boxes are universally depicted as pink in movies? Or how they came to be associated with police officers? Here’s a dozen things you might not have known about one of America’s favorite treats.

Matt Groening, the creator of “The Simpsons,” once revealed to Entertainment Weekly that Homer’s snack of choice was a doughnut because Groening’s own father, who was also named Homer, was a big fan. “Homer originated with my goal to both amuse my real father, Homer, and just annoy him a little bit,” Groening said in the 2010 interview. Groening admitted that Homer Simpson shared no other attributes with his real father, who was an “athletic, creative, intelligent filmmaker.”

There’s a reason we associate police officers with doughnuts, and it’s not as silly as comedians would have you believe. Cops working the graveyard shift in the middle of the 20th century had few options for late-night or early-morning meals, but most doughnut shops and bakeries would start making their goods before the sun came up. “They could pack lunch, pray for an all-night diner on their beat, or fill up on doughnuts,” said Norm Stamper, the former chief of the Seattle Police Department, as quoted in “The Donut: History, Recipes and Lore from Boston to Berlin” by Michael Krondl. “Doughnuts usually won out,” he said.

Speaking of cops and doughnuts: In 2013, amid the aftermath of the Boston Marathon Bombing, the Boston Police Department specifically requested that several Dunkin’ locations remain open despite an area-wide lockdown, for officials who were out hunting the second suspect. “At the direction of authorities, select Dunkin’ Donuts restaurants in the Boston area are open to take care of needs of law enforcement and first responders,” a spokesperson for the chain said at the time, as reported by Boston.com. Those locations provided coffee and food to police and first responders free of charge.

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

I’m just not sure if I should eat a doughnut or a donut....🤔

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

19 minutes ago, New World Explorer said:

Unmissable reminder ....thanks for posting LOL :ecstatic:

Let’s have a donut party! 

I'll supply the beverages for the donuts to be dunked in.  529155993_coffeesippinggirl.gif.5dd9965597c56090707546c4d5e1df5f.gifI

Coffee2.jpg.2872f362a07a00face8993319d407a87.jpg

650352197_coffeebrewer.gif.38ff1e5678ad81c3b161198792c5ac12.gif

1552986917_teapot.gif.ea54f636c1d8828ffd609c793ff65738.gif

565595231_coffeesteamingcup.gif.480a2b16185c3dfa6b10c1f57753bb67.gif

Coffee7.gif.67bf13a26f13595f0a74def51c612369.gif

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif