JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Is it wrong to discard old publications? How can it be done?

If literature is damaged and/or unusable there is no reason not to discard it. In fact, many KH's that were built or remodeled in the last few years no longer have a [large] library ... they have a PC instead. At times, so many people have donated the exact same publications that most have to be discarded to fit the space a KH may have set aside for a library. Many publishers have disposed of their paper library in favor of a digital library.

There is nothing wrong with discarding publications you no longer need ... ours or secular ones.

How can it be done?

How do you discard other items you discard?

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Are they holy or something? I've thrown out plenty of old publications over the years.  As a matter of fact I may only have less than 10 physical books these days. Why keep? Everything is digital. Yeah there's some old books from my childhood I wish I had kept.  Oh, what about old cassette tapes? I threw those away a long time ago.  Books are objects. I'm not a very sentimental guy i guess. 

Edited by rolypoly

Every year the brother in charge of the publications at the kingdom hall receives a letter from the branch listing older publications that should be discarded. They are typically older books that have been replaced, as well as old publications, calendars or daily texts from past years and so on.

There is no reason why older publications you no longer need cannot be recycled. In the Bible, even sacred objects such as the ark of the covenant, the tablets with the ten commandments, or the temple itself, were disposed of when they stopped being useful.

If paper is recycled in your area, you can put them in a paper container. If not, simply put them in the trash container.

1 hour ago, Jonadab said:

I've already taken some old books, even brochures, to a reading point at a bus station! I'm allergic this is the main problem.

Why do you think that is a problem? There is nothing wrong with reading or keeping old books. But it may be more better to keep such older books to library at your homes when studying. And use digital libraries for when you are outside.

Edited by Hinata

5 hours ago, Hinata said:

Por que você acha que isso é um problema? Não há nada de errado em ler ou manter livros antigos. Mas pode ser melhor manter esses livros mais antigos na biblioteca de sua casa quando estiver estudando. E use bibliotecas digitais para quando estiver ao ar livre.

Yes, allergy is a very serious problem, only those who pass by know!  

I do not see brothers in other branches tossing out old publications. They are keeping them.

The branch continuously remove and destroy publications that are old, of bad quality, and/or outdated. Otherwise we”d end up with an endless branch stock and very large research libraries at the branch and RTO’s. Some publications that have a historic interest are saved and preserved. We now also have a theocratic museums department that preserve certain interesting publications, but far from all old publications.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1 hour ago, Thesauron said:

The branch continuously remove and destroy publications that are old, of bad quality, and/or outdated. Otherwise we”d end up with an endless branch stock and very large research libraries at the branch and RTO’s. Some publications that have a historic interest are saved and preserved. We now also have a theocratic museums department that preserve certain interesting publications, but far from all old publications.

When I see videos of brothers giving parts at the their located branches, I see older books in the background. My OV has older books in his library too. A matter of fact, he was very happy that I saved my KH old library.

When I see videos of brothers giving parts at the their located branches, I see older books in the background. My OV has older books in his library too. A matter of fact, he was very happy that I saved my KH old library.

Yes, to some degree you can give away older books. But it depends on the quality and need. Just like you can toss old CD’s with our music, you can toss old, unused books. And the branches do save older publications, but not all. Most are tossed.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

On 6/17/2021 at 5:43 PM, Qapla said:

How can it be done?

How do you discard other items you discard?

recycle at the dump in the paper recycle bin, haven't done that in years though! We use to put them all in large paper bags ( before plastic bags) and store them upstairs in the attic, just in case we couldn't receive any literature from a ban ( back in the 70's ) Fire hazard !   200.gif