JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

‘Marriage without strings’: Saudi confronts rise of ‘misyar’

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1005 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

https://www.globalnewsread.com/news/world/marriage-without-strings-saudi-confronts-rise-of-misyar-times-of-india.html

image.png.2722a9593a8e2d84ab23146c72fc2bbb.png

The practice, usually a temporary alliance in which the wife waives some conventional marriage rights such as cohabitation and financial support, has been legally permitted in the conservative Muslim kingdom for decades.

“My (Saudi) friend has had 11 secret misyar wives. He divorces and marries another, divorces and marries another…,” he added, trailing off.

“Being away from my wife is hard,” a 40-year-old Saudi expat pharmacist said, adding he had been searching for misyar through  matchmakers on Instagram who charge as much as 5,000 riyals ($1,333).
“I gave them my preference: weight, size, skin colour… but no match so far.”
Such marriages are often short-lived, with most ending in divorce from anywhere between 14 and 60 days

This is why I think, Jesus instituted the laws on marriage divorce being limited to adultery only (of which is a sin). People clearly would have been taking advantage to have temporary spouses for sex, go to a register office one day, sleep with them, then divorce and move on.  No different from casual sex, but trying to get one over on God through means of legal loop holes.

Edited by EccentricM

These top Saudi clerics pander to the sexual needs of their delinquent congregants by using a loophole to circumvent the strict teachings of Islam. It's is sheer hypocrisy to exploit the more vulnerable ones in their society. It does incalculable damage to the discarded members of this so called legal arrangement. Nothing short of state endorsed prostitution. Future generations will surely reap the emotional consequences of this untenable practice. I suppose the Arab kingdom is so well off as to be able to compensate these divorced women and their unwanted offspring for their unfortunate circumstances. 

4 hours ago, happiness IS said:

These top Saudi clerics pander to the sexual needs of their delinquent congregants by using a loophole to circumvent the strict teachings of Islam. It's is sheer hypocrisy to exploit the more vulnerable ones in their society. It does incalculable damage to the discarded members of this so called legal arrangement. Nothing short of state endorsed prostitution. Future generations will surely reap the emotional consequences of this untenable practice. I suppose the Arab kingdom is so well off as to be able to compensate these divorced women and their unwanted offspring for their unfortunate circumstances. 

It's quite surprising actually I admit, for a country like that with the laws and traditions they have to go this direction. But I suppose it will happen in order for a united effort against religion on part of the world powers.

Slowly but surely the influence of our world is spreading everywhere, every day more places adopt the values of the KOTS.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting that Sunni Muslims have also started having this ugly practice. I think they got the idea from Shi'a Muslims who have been doing it for a long time. But the Shi'as call it "nikah mut'ah".   

This form of "marriage" may have origins in pagan temple prostitution.

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)